Re: how to translate base 10 number into base 2 number

Li Chen

1/17/2007 2:46:00 PM

--- "Eric I." <rubytraining@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Li,
>
> First, here's a solution:
>
> def ten_to_two(num1)
> return [] if num1 <= 0
> first,second=num1.divmod(2)
> ten_to_two(first) << second
> end
>
> And note that you can change the << into a call to
> unshift if you want
> the bits in the reverse order.
>
> As for why your solution didn't work, let me offer
> two things. First,
> you never do anything with the result of your
> recursive call to
> ten_to_two. Somehow you need to combine it with the
> partial result you
> calculated immediately beforehand. Second, you're
> using instance
> variables (tagged with the @). That's generally
> done in methods
> defined within a class to hold the state of the
> instance. For a
> "naked" method, you generally stick to local
> variables (no @).
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the explanations. It helps me out.

Li

Get your own web address.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?...

1 Answer

Giles Bowkett

On 1/23/07, Roland Mai <roland.mai@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder why there isn't support for negative radix; even though the
> solutions might not be unique... who cares?

Come on, that's like asking why fractional dimension isn't a primitive
type in Java.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesg...