Re: The Ruby Soundtrack

Frank Davis

1/16/2007 9:25:00 PM

For us here in the U.S., our national anthem starts out with the words
"Oh say, can you C". There's not a lot that can top that.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel VanderWerf [mailto:vjoel@path.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:36 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: The Ruby Soundtrack

Chris Gernon wrote:
> Chris Lloyd wrote:
>> So, hope you like the song. The great language got an awesome
>> soundtrack!

http://www.spin.com/features/heythisisawesome/2007/01/070111_k...
s/

> This song is okay, but I greatly prefer the classics, such as "Ruby
> Tuesday" and "Ruby Soho".
>
> ;)

Classics? How could you omit

http://www.steelydan.com/lyrnightfly.h...

??? ;)

I want to see a web site rating programming languages by the number of
pop songs about them.

Joel VanderWerf

Frank Davis wrote:
> For us here in the U.S., our national anthem starts out with the words
> "Oh say, can you C". There's not a lot that can top that.

Ha!

In the translation of the Brazilian anthem on wikipedia:

> Brazil, let the star-spangled banner thou showest forth
^^^^^
In the Belarus anthem (in one translation):

> Gently sowing forth dreams, gold-adornéd;
> Awaken and forth into great spaces, bring
> Send messengers forth, send unto the world's bound,
> O young Bielarus, come thou forth, take thy place

In the Tibetan anthem:

> The Play Oceans enlivened benevolent activities Of the
> widely-nurturing Protector who retains the Teaching and
> the migrators' gem, Expand forth.

(I like the gem part!)

Forth is the choice of nations!

Joel VanderWerf

Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> forth into great spaces, bring

Actually, that's not such bad forth syntax. Maybe they speak forth in
Belarus.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Frank Davis wrote:
>> For us here in the U.S., our national anthem starts out with the words
>> "Oh say, can you C". There's not a lot that can top that.
>
> Ha!
>
> In the translation of the Brazilian anthem on wikipedia:
>
> > Brazil, let the star-spangled banner thou showest forth
> ^^^^^
> In the Belarus anthem (in one translation):
>
> > Gently sowing forth dreams, gold-adornéd;
> > Awaken and forth into great spaces, bring
> > Send messengers forth, send unto the world's bound,
> > O young Bielarus, come thou forth, take thy place
>
> In the Tibetan anthem:
>
> > The Play Oceans enlivened benevolent activities Of the
> > widely-nurturing Protector who retains the Teaching and
> > the migrators' gem, Expand forth.
>
> (I like the gem part!)
>
> Forth is the choice of nations!

Sheesh ... my paternal grandparents came from what is now Belarus,
though I have no idea who owned it when they left. So now I know why I
like Forth so much -- it's in my blood! :)

Curiously enough, though, my father's nickname was "Ruby" among some of
those relatives. I have no explanation for why I like Lisp, however. :)

http://borasky-research.blo...

Chris Lloyd

If you go by the whole lyrics thing you've gotta remember Monty
_Python_. And Perl [sic] Jam. + all the old Jazz songs with Java in
them.

I vote we find some weird nerd/musician hybrid and we make our own
Ruby theme song! Either that or get enough money together to make the
Kaiser Cheifs change their song before it gets released in March. We
couldn't have a Ruby theme tune without praisin blocks.

Other languages will just sit around "learning" at their confrences,
while at RubyConf we can start each presentation with the anthem,
schoolboy style.

Ok, am I getting a little too excited about this?

On 1/17/07, Frank Davis <Fdavis@usbankcard.com> wrote:
> For us here in the U.S., our national anthem starts out with the words
> "Oh say, can you C". There's not a lot that can top that.
>
> Frank

Chris Gernon

Chris Lloyd wrote:
> I vote we find some weird nerd/musician hybrid and we make our own
> Ruby theme song!

Someone ask Why and the Thirsty Cups to do it! :D

Clifford Heath

Frank Davis wrote:
> For us here in the U.S., our national anthem starts out with the words
> "Oh say, can you C". There's not a lot that can top that.

Australia: "our land is girt by C" :-)