External to Internal

Piet Versteegen

I want to convert data supplied by a file into their corresponding
internal values.

I have an external file with data that are in the form "variable
name", tab, followed by their value. The 'value 'can be a single
number, an array of numbers, or a matrix of numbers, For example,
the file might look like this:
a 2.4
b 1,0, 3.0, 5.0
c 5, 6, 11
d [1, 2], [5, 6], [45,55]

I can get a, b, and c to convert to single values and arrays, thanks
to this forum, but I cannot figure out a way to convert d into an
array of arrays. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ideally I would like to match the variable name in the file to the
corresponding and same name in the program. Any ideas how to do that?

Thanks

Pete Versteegen

1 Answer

Joel VanderWerf

Peter Versteegen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to convert data supplied by a file into their corresponding
> internal values.
>
> I have an external file with data that are in the form "variable name",
> tab, followed by their value. The 'value 'can be a single number, an
> array of numbers, or a matrix of numbers, For example, the file might
> look like this:
> a 2.4
> b 1,0, 3.0, 5.0
> c 5, 6, 11
> d [1, 2], [5, 6], [45,55]
>

> I can get a, b, and c to convert to single values and arrays, thanks to
> this forum, but I cannot figure out a way to convert d into an array of
> arrays. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just insert an = :

a = 2.4
b = 1,0, 3.0, 5.0
c = 5, 6, 11
d = [1, 2], [5, 6], [45,55]

p a, b, c, d

__END__

Output:

2.4
[1, 0, 3.0, 5.0]
[5, 6, 11]
[[1, 2], [5, 6], [45, 55]]

> Ideally I would like to match the variable name in the file to the
> corresponding and same name in the program. Any ideas how to do that?

input = <<END
a = 2.4
b = 1,0, 3.0, 5.0
c = 5, 6, 11