Ruby on Mac OS X

Vassilis Rizopoulos

1/15/2007 7:15:00 PM

Looking for pointers to installation guides for Ruby on Mac OS X.
Just switched from the PC (I have my first working week behind me :) )
and I don't want to go back.
I played around with the apple installed 1.8.2, but obviously it's not
enough and I remember seeing some posts about bugs and problems.
So, Mac OS X newbie asks for help.
Oh, I have no fear of gcc and compiling my own stuff. Just a few tips on
the pitfalls of Mac OS X would be nice.
Thanks in advance,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworl...

9 Answers

andy

On Jan 15, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Vassilis Rizopoulos wrote:

> Looking for pointers to installation guides for Ruby on Mac OS X.
> Just switched from the PC (I have my first working week behind
> me :) ) and I don't want to go back.
> I played around with the apple installed 1.8.2, but obviously it's
> not enough and I remember seeing some posts about bugs and problems.
> So, Mac OS X newbie asks for help.
> Oh, I have no fear of gcc and compiling my own stuff. Just a few
> tips on the pitfalls of Mac OS X would be nice.

I would (and do) use macports at http://www.mac.... Then it's
just

$ sudo ports install ruby
$ sudo ports install gem
etc

--
Andy Lester => andy@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

eoghan

On 15 Jan 2007, at 19:15, Vassilis Rizopoulos wrote:

> Looking for pointers to installation guides for Ruby on Mac OS X.
> Just switched from the PC (I have my first working week behind
> me :) ) and I don't want to go back.
> I played around with the apple installed 1.8.2, but obviously it's
> not enough and I remember seeing some posts about bugs and problems.
> So, Mac OS X newbie asks for help.
> Oh, I have no fear of gcc and compiling my own stuff. Just a few
> tips on the pitfalls of Mac OS X would be nice.
> Thanks in advance,
> V.-

Hi
Have a look at the macports site: http://www.mac...
Installation instructions in the wiki... works well in my
experience... hope that helps...
Eoghan

Giles Bowkett

Like everybody said, it's all about MacPorts. download it, install it,
and then it's just

% sudo ports install ruby
% sudo ports install gem

and you're good.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesg...

Philip Hallstrom

matt

Vassilis Rizopoulos <damphyr@freemail.gr> wrote:

> Looking for pointers to installation guides for Ruby on Mac OS X.
> Just switched from the PC (I have my first working week behind me :) )
> and I don't want to go back.
> I played around with the apple installed 1.8.2, but obviously it's not
> enough and I remember seeing some posts about bugs and problems.
> So, Mac OS X newbie asks for help.
> Oh, I have no fear of gcc and compiling my own stuff. Just a few tips on
> the pitfalls of Mac OS X would be nice.

I installed 1.8.5 on Tiger easily without using MacPorts or anything
like that. I installed readline first, as explained here:

<http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_...
r>

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits...
Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-custom...

Ryan Eibling

Vassilis Rizopoulos wrote:
> Looking for pointers to installation guides for Ruby on Mac OS X.
> Just switched from the PC (I have my first working week behind me :) )
> and I don't want to go back.

I'm a Mac n00b who needed the same advice. First I found Fink but that
didn't work out so well. It didn't create a symbolic link to the new
version of Ruby, which was named "ruby18" after installing from source
(no up-to-date binary was available), it didn't provide a new irb so the
old irb still used the old ruby, etc, etc. I was ready to follow that
hivelogic article everybody's been mentioning but thankfully I've been
spared the hassle by this: http://tinyurl.... . It's a script
that does all that stuff for you, with a few modifications (ruby 1.8.5,
mongrel).

Giles Bowkett

Honestly, if the hivelogic thing works for you, that's awesome, but I
had such a messy experience trying to use that thing -- in part due to
zero experience with C compilation -- that I consider that entire
domain blacklisted. Using that guide was a nightmare for me, and the
MacPorts solution was totally effortless. Just my two cents.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesg...

Drew Olson

Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Honestly, if the hivelogic thing works for you, that's awesome, but I
> had such a messy experience trying to use that thing -- in part due to
> zero experience with C compilation -- that I consider that entire
> domain blacklisted. Using that guide was a nightmare for me, and the
> MacPorts solution was totally effortless. Just my two cents.

I completely agree. The key here is that using MacPorts gives you a
sandbox to install into without completely screwing up your environment.
MacPorts is easier and MUCH safer in my opinion.

jameshcunningham@gmail.com

On 2007-01-17 12:50:52 -0500, Ryan Eibling <ryan@NOSPAMeibling.net> said:

> Vassilis Rizopoulos wrote:
>> Looking for pointers to installation guides for Ruby on Mac OS X.
>> Just switched from the PC (I have my first working week behind me :) )
>> and I don't want to go back.
>
> I'm a Mac n00b who needed the same advice. First I found Fink but that
> didn't work out so well. It didn't create a symbolic link to the new
> version of Ruby, which was named "ruby18" after installing from source
> (no up-to-date binary was available), it didn't provide a new irb so
> the old irb still used the old ruby, etc, etc.

It didn't create a symbolic link because it wouldn't want to mess with
the OS X install of Ruby. Easiest is to do what I did: put /sw/bin on
your path before /usr/bin.

Best,
James