Optional Dependencies in Rubygems

Chris Carter

1/13/2007 1:34:00 AM

Ok, so after the long Hoe discussion, I have decided to add
optional/developer-time dependencies to ruby-gems.

The first implementation will be purely for developer-dependencies,
not for optional "This will be faster with blah blah blah"
dependencies, for the time being, but I do plan to leave the API
addition open enough so other styles of dependencies can be added.

I would like to know what kind of behaviour for installing the
optional dependencies should be. I believe that when normally
installing a gem, it should not prompt you at all to install or warn
of the optional dependencies, because they are developer dependencies.
Ideas for cmd line flags?

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

1 Answer

Alex Young

Chris Carter wrote:
> Ok, so after the long Hoe discussion, I have decided to add
> optional/developer-time dependencies to ruby-gems.
>
> The first implementation will be purely for developer-dependencies,
> not for optional "This will be faster with blah blah blah"
> dependencies, for the time being, but I do plan to leave the API
> addition open enough so other styles of dependencies can be added.
>
> I would like to know what kind of behaviour for installing the
> optional dependencies should be. I believe that when normally
> installing a gem, it should not prompt you at all to install or warn
> of the optional dependencies, because they are developer dependencies.
> Ideas for cmd line flags?

The obvious one: you've already got -y/--include-dependencies, so why
not -Y/--include-all-dependencies (or --include-optional-dependencies)?
I can't think of a situation where you'd want the optional but not the
required dependencies, but being able to list them prior to installing
them would be nice.

--
Alex