Threading nightmare

Thiago Jackiw

1/10/2007 10:52:00 PM

The scenario (for test purposes) I'm trying to accomplish when running
rake on a new Rakefile is:

1) start a java server (which doesn't have an option to 'daemonize'
it) and get its pid
2) interact with the server by sending things or accessing it
3) stop the server

I've tried using IO's popen, fork, thread, even sending the server to
/dev/null when starting it but none of them work as I expected. Once
the server (step 1) starts it just hangs in there, not letting the
following steps to run. But if I kill the server (control+c) the step
2 tries to run and fails because the server is no longer running.

Any ideas how it can be done?

Thanks a lot.

Thiago

6 Answers

Tim Pease

On 1/10/07, Thiago Jackiw <tjackiw@gmail.com> wrote:
> The scenario (for test purposes) I'm trying to accomplish when running
> rake on a new Rakefile is:
>
> 1) start a java server (which doesn't have an option to 'daemonize'
> it) and get its pid
> 2) interact with the server by sending things or accessing it
> 3) stop the server
>
> I've tried using IO's popen, fork, thread, even sending the server to
> /dev/null when starting it but none of them work as I expected. Once
> the server (step 1) starts it just hangs in there, not letting the
> following steps to run. But if I kill the server (control+c) the step
> 2 tries to run and fails because the server is no longer running.

If you're on a non-Windows system, then you can use Ara's "slave" gem.

Check out Ara's "systemu" gem as well -- although I do not think it
allows you to send information to the forked process.

Blessings,
TwP

Thiago Jackiw

Tim,

I'm on a unix box but I'm trying to accomplish this without having to
be system specific. If I have no choice than I'll have to do it only
for *nix systems.

Thiago

On 1/10/07, Tim Pease <tim.pease@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Thiago Jackiw <tjackiw@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The scenario (for test purposes) I'm trying to accomplish when running
> > rake on a new Rakefile is:
> >
> > 1) start a java server (which doesn't have an option to 'daemonize'
> > it) and get its pid
> > 2) interact with the server by sending things or accessing it
> > 3) stop the server
> >
> > I've tried using IO's popen, fork, thread, even sending the server to
> > /dev/null when starting it but none of them work as I expected. Once
> > the server (step 1) starts it just hangs in there, not letting the
> > following steps to run. But if I kill the server (control+c) the step
> > 2 tries to run and fails because the server is no longer running.
> >

> If you're on a non-Windows system, then you can use Ara's "slave" gem.
>
> Check out Ara's "systemu" gem as well -- although I do not think it
> allows you to send information to the forked process.
>
> Blessings,
> TwP

Tim Pease

On 1/10/07, Thiago Jackiw <tjackiw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I'm on a unix box but I'm trying to accomplish this without having to
> be system specific. If I have no choice than I'll have to do it only
> for *nix systems.

Also, check out popen4. There is a Windows version and Unix version.
Both do what you need, but you'll have platform specific code in your
script.

Blessings,
TwP

Ara.T.Howard

Thiago Jackiw

Thanks for the help, but I was able to accomplish it using a
combination of fork, STDERR and exec and it seems to be working fine.

Thiago

On 1/11/07, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov <ara.t.howard@noaa.gov> wrote:

> you don't have an easy choice. if you want to interact you'll want to be unix
> specifc.
>
> how do you want to interact? via stdin/stdout? does the process need to be a
> daemon or should it depend on the process controlling it also existing? is
> the controlling process transient or permanent?

> does the server allow itself to run without a tty? some programs don't and
> then you'll need to use the ruby pty lib. this would also limit you to unix.
>
> > Once the
>
> is it waiting for input?
>
> > But if I kill the server (control+c) the step 2 tries to
>
> makes sense...
>

> regards.
>
> -a
> --
> in the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.
> - the dalai lama

The Peeler

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 13:35:06 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love with Nazi Scum
wrote:

>> & we were correct!
>>
>> Sure sounds right to me!
>>
>> Ayup, eh!
>
> we hired some '56' hungarians when we had the tobacco farm. there
> were some who were kind of fucking dangerous it's true. they were not
> all like that though.

He was referring to YOU, asshole! <tsk>