rdoc gem with hoe troubles

Paolo Negri

1/9/2007 11:20:00 AM

Hi

I'm working on a new gem which is pretty much ready to be released.

I'm using hoe to manage it but I can't get the rdoc task to include my
README.txt as a doc index and the generated rdocs are not providing
the [show source] link after every method.
README.txt is included in the Manifest.txt

Could someone help me getting this working?

My relevant Rakefile lines

==rakefile start

AUTHOR = "blank" # can also be an array of Authors
EMAIL = "your contact email for bug fixes and info"
DESCRIPTION = "handles money objects using just integer as backend"
GEM_NAME = "more_money" # what ppl will type to install your gem
RUBYFORGE_PROJECT = "moremoney" # The unix name for your project
HOMEPATH = "http://#{RUBYFORGE_PROJECT}.rubyforge.org"
RELEASE_TYPES = %w( gem ) # can use: gem, tar, zip

NAME = "more_money"
REV = nil # UNCOMMENT IF REQUIRED:
File.read(".svn/entries")[/committed-rev="(d+)"/, 1] rescue nil
VERS = ENV['VERSION'] || (MoreMoney::VERSION::STRING + (REV ? ".#{REV}" : ""))
CLEAN.include ['**/.*.sw?', '*.gem', '.config']

hoe = Hoe.new(GEM_NAME, VERS) do |p|
p.author = AUTHOR
p.description = DESCRIPTION
p.email = EMAIL
p.summary = DESCRIPTION
p.url = HOMEPATH
p.rubyforge_name = RUBYFORGE_PROJECT if RUBYFORGE_PROJECT
p.test_globs = ["test/**/*_test.rb"]
p.clean_globs = CLEAN #An array of file patterns to delete on clean.
end

==rakefile end

Thanks

Paolo

2 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Jan 9, 2007, at 03:20, Paolo Negri wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm working on a new gem which is pretty much ready to be released.
>
> I'm using hoe to manage it but I can't get the rdoc task to include my
> README.txt as a doc index

show the output of rake docs and rake check_manifest.

> and the generated rdocs are not providing the [show source] link
> after every method.

Hoe uses the default RDoc template. Click the method name to see the
source.

> README.txt is included in the Manifest.txt
>
> Could someone help me getting this working?

PS: Quit making the Rakefile so complicated. This should be all you
need:

hoe = Hoe.new 'more_money', MoreMoney::VERSION::STRING do |p|
p.summary = "handles money objects using just integer as backend"
p.url = "http://moremoney.rubyforge...
p.rubyforge_name = "moremoney"
p.test_globs = ["test/**/*_test.rb"]
p.clean_globs = ['**/.*.sw?', '*.gem', '.config']

Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Paolo Negri

Hi Eric

Thanks for your reply, with it I managed to fix all my issues.
I still have to understand why now the gem_server on my machine still
shows the rdocs without readme file (even after a version number
update and a complete cleanup), but the gem now generates all the docs
as I expected.

Anyway my gem is finished and online and I'm quite happy with it.

P.S. I'll try to make my Rakefile more clean :)

Thanks again