[ANN] IHelp 0.4.5 - Interactive Help

Ilmari Heikkinen

1/5/2007 4:15:00 PM

View and search Ruby documentation from irb.

This one's a bugfix release
0.4.5
* Use RI environment variable to pass config to ri (thanks to Parragh
Szabolcs.)
* Bugfix for missing require 'stringio' (thanks to Marcel M. Cary.)
* Show first thousand hits instead of a mere ten.

If you run into problems, please let me know.

sudo gem install ihelp

Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gro...
Documentation: http://ihelp.rub...
Project page: http://rubyforge.org/proje...
Screenshots:
http://ihelp.rub.../ihelp1.png
http://ihelp.rub.../ihelp2.png

REQUIREMENTS

* Generated RI docs (make install-doc)
* To use full-text search, Ferret: http://rubyforge.org/proje...

QUICK USAGE

"How do I justify a string?"
ihelp 'justifying strings'
ihelp 'How do I justify a string?' # watch out for noise words

"I need to read little-endian ints from a string"
> String.help 'little-endian int'

"Hmm, how does String#unpack work?"
> String.help:unpack

"Okay, so now I have this Array of ints, what was the syntax of inject again?"
> ints.help:inject

"What is this object and what can i do with it?"
> object.help

"Someone told me that I should look up Mutex#synchronize... but I
don't have that loaded."
> ihelp "Mutex#synchronize"

Add the following to your .irbrc:

# snappier by loading in the background.
Thread.new do
require 'ihelp'
end

## If you don't like the colors in the search results
# IHelp.no_colors = true

## Renderer to use, one of 'ri', 'rubydoc', 'emacs', 'source', 'html'
## default is 'ri'
# IHelp.renderer = 'rubydoc'

## Web browser to use with renderers 'rubydoc' and 'html'
## default is 'firefox'
# IHelp.web_browser = 'konqueror'

3 Answers

BroilJAB

Built by America's original inhabitant the White culture
Kennewick Man nearly 5000 BC, these ancient pyramids
now being bulldozed by drunken nigger 'Indians' to make
rubble to sell as Kitty Litter. Remember that the first thing
the Indians did when they walked here from Africa
was to repeatedly SET FIRE to the entire continent...
so that it would be easier for them to catch rabbits.
Driving Extinct over 40 million plant and animals species.

BroilJAB

Built by America's original inhabitant the White culture
Kennewick Man nearly 5000 BC, these ancient pyramids
now being bulldozed by drunken nigger 'Indians' to make
rubble to sell as Kitty Litter. Remember that the first thing
the Indians did when they walked here from Africa
was to repeatedly SET FIRE to the entire continent...
so that it would be easier for them to catch rabbits.
Driving Extinct over 40 million plant and animals species.

Ubiquitous

DesignDenier@wmconnect.com wrote:

>Built by America's original inhabitant the White culture
>Kennewick Man nearly 5000 BC, these ancient pyramids
>now being bulldozed by drunken nigger 'Indians' to make
>rubble to sell as Kitty Litter. Remember that the first thing
>the Indians did when they walked here from Africa
>was to repeatedly SET FIRE to the entire continent...
>so that it would be easier for them to catch rabbits.
>Driving Extinct over 40 million plant and animals species.

TROLL-O-METER

5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9