[WANTED] Solaris related modules

Daniel Berger

1/5/2007 3:42:00 PM

Hi all,

There's a couple Solaris related things I'd like if anyone needs a Ruby
related project. The first is an app that can take a gem spec and
convert it into a Solaris package (.pkg). The second is a wrapper for
Solaris services.

Also, I wouldn't mind a wrapper for pkg-config while I'm at it. I
noticed that there's a very basic one included with rcairo, but it
needs work, and ought to be bundled separately.

Any takers? I don't have time for these myself, but I thought someone
else might be interested. I'd be willing to host them on RubyForge if
there are any takers. Below are some related links.

Regards,

Dan

Creating Solaris packages:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/sparc/html/creating.solaris.pac...
http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/makeapa...

Solaris Services:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/selfheal/smf-quick...
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/selfheal/sdev_...

pkg-config:

http://www.ece.umr.edu/web-cgi/unixsoft.cgi?command=...

7 Answers

Tim Pease

On 1/5/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's a couple Solaris related things I'd like if anyone needs a Ruby
> related project. The first is an app that can take a gem spec and
> convert it into a Solaris package (.pkg). The second is a wrapper for
> Solaris services.

Okay, you've spent too much time in the snow ;)

Seriously, though, what do you see as the benefit of converting a gem
into a Solaris package?

TwP

Daniel Berger

Tim Pease wrote:
> On 1/5/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > There's a couple Solaris related things I'd like if anyone needs a Ruby
> > related project. The first is an app that can take a gem spec and
> > convert it into a Solaris package (.pkg). The second is a wrapper for
> > Solaris services.
> >

> Okay, you've spent too much time in the snow ;)
>
> Seriously, though, what do you see as the benefit of converting a gem
> into a Solaris package?
>
> TwP

Short answer? System administration.

Long answer? I eventually hope to setup a tie-in with blastwave [1]
and/or sunfreeware [2], and generally make Ruby more popular among
system administrators using the Solaris platform.

Regards,

Dan

[1] http://www.bla...
[2] http://www.sunfr...

David Vallner

Tim Pease wrote:
> On 1/5/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There's a couple Solaris related things I'd like if anyone needs a Ruby
>> related project. The first is an app that can take a gem spec and
>> convert it into a Solaris package (.pkg). The second is a wrapper for
>> Solaris services.
>>

> Okay, you've spent too much time in the snow ;)
>
> Seriously, though, what do you see as the benefit of converting a gem
> into a Solaris package?

Avoiding having end users handle Yet Another Package Manager. Same
reason why anyone would use .debs or ruby libs on Debian.

Does Solaris use package repositories? This way, you could make
automated builds and let's say integrate all rubyforge gems into the
Solaris package management very, very easily. You can never go wrong
with more easy integration.

David Vallner

6127 Dead, 1270 since 1/20/09

On Wed, 15 May 2013 07:40:43 -0500, Don Kresch wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2013 00:33:56 -0400, "Scout"
> <me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> scrawled in blood:
>

>>"Olrik" <olrik666@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Le 2013-05-14 23:52, Scout a ??crit :

>>> Maybe not in a strict financial definition of "owned", but it is in so
>>> many other ways, mostly ideological.
>>
>>And you don't think that's the same ideology of it's membership?
>>
>>Do you think that the rights of the members to keep and bear arms would
>>be negatively impacted if you allowed gun markers to go under due to red
>>tape, frivolous law suits, oppressive laws and the rest?
>>
>>So I'm not seeing how the ideology is going to be any different than
>>that of the membership.
>>
> Oh but you have to understand: it's ok when MoveOn and all
> *those* groups are like that; it's not when it's the NRA and *those*
> groups. See? It's all about blatant hypocrisy.

Tell us of the murderous special interest group that has captured MoveOn
and turned it into a sick, anti-social parody of what it stood for, as
has happened with the NRA.

> Don aa#51, Knight of BAAWA, Jedi Slackmaster Praise "Bob" or burn in
> Slacklessness trying not to.

6127 Dead, 1270 since 1/20/09

On Wed, 15 May 2013 06:37:59 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2013 07:30:47 -0600, deep wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 15 May 2013 07:40:43 -0500, Don Kresch <spamcatch@spamcatch.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 15 May 2013 00:33:56 -0400, "Scout"
>>><me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> scrawled in blood:

>>> Oh but you have to understand: it's ok when MoveOn and all
>>>*those* groups are like that; it's not when it's the NRA and *those*
>>>groups. See? It's all about blatant hypocrisy.
>>
>>MoveOn is not getting massive corporate donations to keep them going.
>>The NRA is.
>
> What is a "massive corporate donation" as defined by the Dudu Liberal
> Dictionary?
>
> And what's wrong with firearms manufacturers kicking some money to the
> NRA?
>
> I want exactly what THEY want.

They want to sell as many guns as they can make, and fuck the social cost.

Now that I think about it, that is pretty much your philosophy, too.

6127 Dead, 1270 since 1/20/09

On Wed, 15 May 2013 08:09:12 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2013 14:56:52 +0000 (UTC), Zepp <dead@gone.com> wrote:

>>> What is a "massive corporate donation" as defined by the Dudu Liberal
>>> Dictionary?
>>>
>>> And what's wrong with firearms manufacturers kicking some money to the
>>> NRA?
>>>
>>> I want exactly what THEY want.
>>
>>They want to sell as many guns as they can make, and fuck the social
>>cost.
>>Now that I think about it, that is pretty much your philosophy, too.
>
> I want to BUY as many guns as they make. Fuck your imaginary social
> cost.
>
> Yup, we're on the same page!

Yeah, you're a gun cunt.

6127 Dead, 1270 since 1/20/09

On Wed, 15 May 2013 12:22:40 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2013 16:32:22 +0000 (UTC), Zepp <dead@gone.com> wrote:

>>> I want to BUY as many guns as they make. Fuck your imaginary social
>>> cost.
>>>
>>> Yup, we're on the same page!
>>
>>Yeah, you're a gun cunt.
>
> And ARMED gun cunt. Remember that.
>
> It's important.

Yeah it is. We can hope you'll fuck up and put a hole in yourself.