ODBC, MS SQL Server

Bolo

1/5/2007 3:21:00 PM

Hello

I try to connect ruby to a MS SQL database . This the error message.

b.michelin@srv-mq-lamp2:~$ irb1.8
irb(main):001:0> require "dbi"
=> true
irb(main):002:0> dbh = DBI.connect('dbi:ODBC:DataBase', 'user',
'password')
WARNING: no ODBC driver manager found.
DBI::DatabaseError: INTERN (0) [RubyODBC]Cannot allocate SQLHENV
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in `connect'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:424:in `connect'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:215:in `connect'
from (irb):2

Can You help me

Thanks

11 Answers

greg.kujawa

This might sound silly, but are you using a Windows-based PC? Judging
by the command line prompt it doesn't appear to be the case. If so then
you should load UNIX ODBC I believe...

Bolo wrote:
> Hello
>
> I try to connect ruby to a MS SQL database . This the error message.
>
> b.michelin@srv-mq-lamp2:~$ irb1.8
> irb(main):001:0> require "dbi"
> => true
> irb(main):002:0> dbh = DBI.connect('dbi:ODBC:DataBase', 'user',
> 'password')
> WARNING: no ODBC driver manager found.
> DBI::DatabaseError: INTERN (0) [RubyODBC]Cannot allocate SQLHENV
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in `connect'
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:424:in `connect'
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:215:in `connect'
> from (irb):2
>
> Can You help me
>
> Thanks

Bolo

Hello, Hello

> This might sound silly, but are you using a Windows-based PC?

No I use Debian etch. When i this command

# isql YOUR_DB_DEFINITION_NAME USERNAME PASSWORD
| Connected! |
| |
| sql-statement |
| help [tablename] |
| quit |
| |
SQL> select * from users; (again, do this for a table that exists in
your db)
+------------+-------------------------------+
| id | login |
+------------+-------------------------------+
| 1 | user1 |
| 3 | user2 |
+------------+-------------------------------+
2 rows affected
2 rows returned
SQL> quit

it's working

greg.kujawa

Hmmm. And you have UNIX ODBC loaded then I would assume too. Here's a
thread I googled across in terms of Debian UNIX ODBC access -->
http://mail.easysoft.com/pipermail/unixodbc-support/2004-November/0....
Perhaps it might apply to you?

Bolo wrote:
> Hello, Hello
>
> > This might sound silly, but are you using a Windows-based PC?
>
> No I use Debian etch. When i this command
>
> # isql YOUR_DB_DEFINITION_NAME USERNAME PASSWORD
> +---------------------------------------+
> | Connected! |
> | |
> | sql-statement |
> | help [tablename] |
> | quit |
> | |
> +---------------------------------------+
> SQL> select * from users; (again, do this for a table that exists in
> your db)
> +------------+-------------------------------+
> | id | login |
> +------------+-------------------------------+
> | 1 | user1 |
> | 3 | user2 |
> +------------+-------------------------------+
> 2 rows affected
> 2 rows returned
> SQL> quit
>
> it's working

Bolo

I don't the anwsers to his question

my db definition
$ nano /etc/odbc.ini

[Corporate]
Driver = FreeTDS
Description = ODBC connection via FreeTDS
Trace = No
Servername = Corporate
Database = FrontOffice

nano /etc/odbcinst.ini:

[FreeTDS]
Description = TDS driver (Sybase/MS SQL)
Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsodbc.so
Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsS.so
CPTimeout =
CPReuse =
FileUsage = 1

> Hmmm. And you have UNIX ODBC loaded then I would assume too. Here's a
> thread I googled across in terms of Debian UNIX ODBC access -->
> http://mail.easysoft.com/pipermail/unixodbc-support/2004-November/0....
> Perhaps it might apply to you?
>
> Bolo wrote:
> > Hello, Hello
> >
> > > This might sound silly, but are you using a Windows-based PC?
> >
> > No I use Debian etch. When i this command
> >
> > # isql YOUR_DB_DEFINITION_NAME USERNAME PASSWORD
> > +---------------------------------------+
> > | Connected! |
> > | |
> > | sql-statement |
> > | help [tablename] |
> > | quit |
> > | |
> > +---------------------------------------+
> > SQL> select * from users; (again, do this for a table that exists in
> > your db)
> > +------------+-------------------------------+
> > | id | login |
> > +------------+-------------------------------+
> > | 1 | user1 |
> > | 3 | user2 |
> > +------------+-------------------------------+
> > 2 rows affected
> > 2 rows returned
> > SQL> quit
> >
> > it's working

greg.kujawa

I think a reply message in that thread pertained to file access perms
on those odbc files. Check the two ini files and ensure that the perms
are botching things up.

Bolo wrote:
> I don't the anwsers to his question
>
> my db definition
> $ nano /etc/odbc.ini
>
> [Corporate]
> Driver = FreeTDS
> Description = ODBC connection via FreeTDS
> Trace = No
> Servername = Corporate
> Database = FrontOffice
>

> nano /etc/odbcinst.ini:
>

> [FreeTDS]
> Description = TDS driver (Sybase/MS SQL)
> Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsodbc.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsS.so
> CPTimeout =
> CPReuse =
> FileUsage = 1
>
> > Hmmm. And you have UNIX ODBC loaded then I would assume too. Here's a
> > thread I googled across in terms of Debian UNIX ODBC access -->
> > http://mail.easysoft.com/pipermail/unixodbc-support/2004-November/0....
> > Perhaps it might apply to you?
> >
> > Bolo wrote:
> > > Hello, Hello

> > > No I use Debian etch. When i this command
> > >
> > > # isql YOUR_DB_DEFINITION_NAME USERNAME PASSWORD
> > > +---------------------------------------+
> > > | Connected! |
> > > | |
> > > | sql-statement |
> > > | help [tablename] |
> > > | quit |
> > > | |
> > > +---------------------------------------+
> > > SQL> select * from users; (again, do this for a table that exists in
> > > your db)
> > > +------------+-------------------------------+
> > > | id | login |
> > > +------------+-------------------------------+
> > > | 1 | user1 |
> > > | 3 | user2 |
> > > +------------+-------------------------------+
> > > 2 rows affected
> > > 2 rows returned
> > > SQL> quit
> > >
> > > it's working

Bolo

Ok Know i have this error message
irb(main):002:0> dbh = DBI.connect('dbi:ODBC:Corporate',
'*******','**********')
DBI::DatabaseError: S1000 (0) [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to
connect to data source
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in `connect'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:424:in `connect'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:215:in `connect'
from (irb):2
gregarican a ?crit :

> I think a reply message in that thread pertained to file access perms
> on those odbc files. Check the two ini files and ensure that the perms
> are botching things up.
>
> Bolo wrote:
> > I don't the anwsers to his question
> >
> > my db definition
> > $ nano /etc/odbc.ini
> >
> > [Corporate]
> > Driver = FreeTDS
> > Description = ODBC connection via FreeTDS
> > Trace = No
> > Servername = Corporate
> > Database = FrontOffice
> >

> > nano /etc/odbcinst.ini:
> >

> > [FreeTDS]
> > Description = TDS driver (Sybase/MS SQL)
> > Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsodbc.so
> > Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsS.so
> > CPTimeout =
> > CPReuse =
> > FileUsage = 1
> >
> > > Hmmm. And you have UNIX ODBC loaded then I would assume too. Here's a
> > > thread I googled across in terms of Debian UNIX ODBC access -->
> > > http://mail.easysoft.com/pipermail/unixodbc-support/2004-November/0....
> > > Perhaps it might apply to you?

greg.kujawa

I would suggest googling around the FreeTDS message boards. When I just
did it seems as if your situation isn't unique. Here's something that
was referred to in terms of ensuring that UNIX ODBC works in
conjunction with FreeTDS -->
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/odbcombo.htm#E.G.SAMPL.... HTH!

Bolo wrote:
> Ok Know i have this error message
> irb(main):002:0> dbh = DBI.connect('dbi:ODBC:Corporate',
> '*******','**********')
> DBI::DatabaseError: S1000 (0) [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to
> connect to data source
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in `connect'
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:424:in `connect'
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:215:in `connect'
> from (irb):2
> gregarican a écrit :
>
> > I think a reply message in that thread pertained to file access perms
> > on those odbc files. Check the two ini files and ensure that the perms
> > are botching things up.
> >
> > Bolo wrote:
> > > I don't the anwsers to his question
> > >
> > > my db definition
> > > $ nano /etc/odbc.ini
> > >
> > > [Corporate]
> > > Driver = FreeTDS
> > > Description = ODBC connection via FreeTDS
> > > Trace = No
> > > Servername = Corporate
> > > Database = FrontOffice
> > >

> > > nano /etc/odbcinst.ini:
> > >

> > > [FreeTDS]
> > > Description = TDS driver (Sybase/MS SQL)
> > > Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsodbc.so
> > > Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsS.so
> > > CPTimeout =
> > > CPReuse =
> > > FileUsage = 1

Bolo

Thanks For your help Now it's working
gregarican a écrit :

> I would suggest googling around the FreeTDS message boards. When I just
> did it seems as if your situation isn't unique. Here's something that
> was referred to in terms of ensuring that UNIX ODBC works in
> conjunction with FreeTDS -->
> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/odbcombo.htm#E.G.SAMPL.... HTH!
>
> Bolo wrote:
> > Ok Know i have this error message
> > irb(main):002:0> dbh = DBI.connect('dbi:ODBC:Corporate',
> > '*******','**********')
> > DBI::DatabaseError: S1000 (0) [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to
> > connect to data source
> > from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in `connect'
> > from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:424:in `connect'
> > from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:215:in `connect'
> > from (irb):2
> > gregarican a écrit :
> >
> > > I think a reply message in that thread pertained to file access perms
> > > on those odbc files. Check the two ini files and ensure that the perms
> > > are botching things up.

Gunner Asch

On Tue, 14 May 2013 21:58:36 -0700, "james g. keegan jr."
<jgkeegan@gma?l.com> wrote:

>On 5/14/2013 7:59 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 May 2013 17:36:29 -0700, "james g. keegan jr."
>> <jgkeegan@gma?l.com> wrote:

>>> 12 years, you stupid civics-ignorant innumerate shitstain.
>>
>> You mean that OSHA would have sent inspectors in the last 3 yrs of
>> Obamas administration?
>
>I mean that you can't fucking count. Since 1985, there have been 12
>years of Democrat administrations, not 16.

So far. <VBG> So you are claiming Obama would have sent out the
inspectors in the last 3 yrs of his term...right? When he is
downsizing OSHA. Is that your claim?

>You're innumerate, and you don't have a fucking clue about civics.

Laugh laugh laugh! Its Clintons Fault...right?

Laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid? to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

james g. keegan jr.

On 5/14/2013 11:40 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2013 22:00:27 -0700, "james g. keegan jr."
> <jgkeegan@gma?l.com> wrote:

Wrong, fuckstain. 12 years of Democrats, 14 years of Republicans.

>>> And the poor dumb communist bastards apparently think that an
>>> executive order wouldnt have done it either....right?
>>
>> So why the fuck are you blabbering stupidly about how many years the
>> Democrats controlled Congress, you dumb fat fucking pillock?
>
> Because it was a Republican who had them inspected last...and there
> have been a single Republican since then..but (2)...two...two Democrat
> presidents since then.

Doesn't change that your arithmetic is wrong, fuckstain. Sinc 1985,
there have been 14 years of Republican administration, and only 12 years
of Democratic administration. You said there were 16 years of
Democratic administrations. You don't know your HIV-oozing ass from
your meth-mouth face.

OSHA and other regulatory agencies are under control of the president,
not of Congress.

> And since you fucktards claim that Bush was a brainless
> idiot...obviouisly those (2)...two two Demonrat presidents were just
> as brainless. So its Clintons fault..right? Or Obama's?

You have BSE, don't you? Those are English words, but it's not English.