[ANN] lockfile-1.4.1

Ara.T.Howard

Bil Kleb

Ara.T.Howard wrote:

> SYNOPSIS
>
> lib/lockfile.rb : a ruby library for creating NFS safe lockfiles

Can this be used to get around a broken NFS lock configuration
like I have on our branch's cluster?

Later,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.lar...

Michael P. Soulier

On 1/5/07, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> >
> > SYNOPSIS
> >
> > lib/lockfile.rb : a ruby library for creating NFS safe lockfiles
>
> Can this be used to get around a broken NFS lock configuration
> like I have on our branch's cluster?

I didn't think that locking on nfs was ever really all that safe. I've
seen it fail too often.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein

David Agdern

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:21:06 AM UTC-4, Mark S wrote:
> On Aug 26, 4:22 am, "Frank Berger" <frankdber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think
>
> > some anti-Obamaists are racist and some aren't.  It's not rocket science.  I
>
> > don't you think you have to be a racist to be a birther.  Are they
>
> > correlated?  Yes.  Is Donald Trump a racist?  Or just an idiot.  Or just a
>
> > rabble rouser.
>

> What other reason besides racism would you offer as an excuse to be a
>
> birther? An honest belief that President Obama wasn't born in Hawai'i,
>
> even after his birth certificate has been produced by the State of
>
> Hawai'i?

Isn't this an extension of the right-wing emphasizing time and time again that Obama's middle name is Hussein? It seemed to be OK under Bush Jr's administration to condone disgusting anti-Muslim racism. I heard right-wing radio commentators regularly talking about "towel-heads" in the years following 9/11. The xenophobia that was expressed on a daily basis from the right-wing (i NEVER heard this kind of talk from the left) was sickening. I don't like using the word hate, but I came very close to hating the American right-wing at this time. Now I just apply the phrase "righteous indignation".

I thought that Romney at least had ethics on his side, but I'm revising that opinion.

Bob Harper

On 8/26/12 4:25 PM, Mark S wrote:
(snip)

> Romney saying that he and Ryan believe in an exception to a ban on
> abortion in the case of rape, incest or to protect the life of the
> mother? HE'S LYING. Or, he's stupid. Which one is it?

Neither, Mark; you're hyperventilating again.

Bob Harper

Frank Berger

William Sommerwerck wrote:
> "Frank Berger" <frankdberger@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> This issue has bothered me for years. Why is it that conservatives
>>> seem far more likely to lie outright than liberals?
>
>>> I wondered whether it was because, as a liberal, I tended to believe
>>> that what liberals said was per se, true, and what conservatives
>>> said was per se, false.
>
>> You could have stopped thinking about it 40 years ago, because
>> you got it right the first time.
>
> Do you think I'm so stupid that I cannot understand the difference
> between what I believe and what I want to believe?

I don't think you're stupid at all. But I don't believe your thinking is
free of bias.

> You will note that my original post implicitly rejected the belief
> that you said I "got right the first time".

I don't understand that sentence. Probably doesn't matter.

Frank Berger

Jenn wrote:
> In article <iOydnaKg7JryPafNnZ2dnUVZ_tydnZ2d@supernews.com>,
> "Frank Berger" <frankdberger@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jenn wrote:

>>> Yes some liberals and some conservatives do. But currently, only the
>>> Repubs are running an entire presidential campaign on lies: Obama
>>> is stealing from Medicare, "you didn't build that", etc.
>>>
>>> By the way, regarding my other post about Rev. Wright and the Mormon
>>> Church: upon reflection, they are NOT equal. One is a case of a few
>>> over the top statements by one preacher, the other is doctrine of an
>>> entire church that Romney attended from birth until well into
>>> adulthood.
>>
>> Uh huh. I just watched President Obama try to link Romney to Akin.
>> Romney has condemned Akin's remarks has forcefully as it is possible
>> to do, but Obama tries to associate Romney to Akin. That just as
>> dishonest as anything Romney has done.
>
> Where did you "just watch" this? I'll look it up.

ABC News.

> If the President was saying that Akin was expressing the very policy
> attitude that Romney, Ryan, and the Repub party platform has
> expressed, he's right.

It's one thing to share policies, it's another to imply that Romney shares
the same idiotic ideas expressed by Akin. Unless you think they're
equivalent, too.

Frank Berger

JohnGavin wrote:
> On Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:21:06 AM UTC-4, Mark S wrote:
>> On Aug 26, 4:22 am, "Frank Berger" <frankdber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think
>>
>>> some anti-Obamaists are racist and some aren't. It's not rocket
>>> science. I
>>
>>> don't you think you have to be a racist to be a birther. Are they
>>
>>> correlated? Yes. Is Donald Trump a racist? Or just an idiot. Or
>>> just a
>>
>>> rabble rouser.
>>

>> What other reason besides racism would you offer as an excuse to be a
>>
>> birther? An honest belief that President Obama wasn't born in
>> Hawai'i,
>>
>> even after his birth certificate has been produced by the State of
>>
>> Hawai'i?
>
> Isn't this an extension of the right-wing emphasizing time and time
> again that Obama's middle name is Hussein?

Here we go again. Not all Rs do that. Some do it again and again.

> It seemed to be OK under
> Bush Jr's administration to condone disgusting anti-Muslim racism. I
> heard right-wing radio commentators regularly talking about
> "towel-heads" in the years following 9/11.

RW talk show hosts are entertainers, not politicians, not elected officials,
less representative of Rs than you think. I'm not even sure they believe
what they say. Which is not to defend them in any way. I heard the
expression towel-head used in various TV shows that put those words unto the
mouths of RWers. I'm not sure I ever heard a talk show host or politician
use the expression. Can you povide some examples?

>The xenophobia that was
> expressed on a daily basis from the right-wing (i NEVER heard this
> kind of talk from the left) was sickening. I don't like using the
> word hate, but I came very close to hating the American right-wing at
> this time. Now I just apply the phrase "righteous indignation".
>
> I thought that Romney at least had ethics on his side, but I'm
> revising that opinion.

Based on what? Completely disavowing what Akin said and asking him to
withdraw? Regarding Romney's supposed extreme position on abortion, I don't
get that, like I said the other day, since that's not the Mormon Church's
official position. Does Romney have to take that position (no abortions, no
exceptions) to get money from the R base? How much of that base actually
holds that position?

Frank Berger

Mark S wrote:
> On Aug 26, 3:17 pm, "Frank Berger" <frankdber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Uh huh. I just watched President Obama try to link Romney to Akin.
>> Romney has condemned Akin's remarks has forcefully as it is possible
>> to do, but Obama tries to associate Romney to Akin. That just as
>> dishonest as anything Romney has done.
>
> President Obama is correct to link Akin to Romney, because Romney has
> expressed the same views as Akin.

He was trying to link Romney to Akins idiotoc statement about "legitimate"
rape victims not being able to conceive. As I've already indicated, I don't
approve of legislation that prohibits abortion entirely, but don't equate
the two things. That's what Obama tried to do, IMO

> Romney has said he would sign a personhood amendment to the MA
> Constitution. Such an amendment says that human life starts at
> conception, ie: a zygote is entitle to full human rights. That would
> outlaw all abortion, including abortion for rape, incest or the health
> of the mother. Period:
>
> "Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) told Fox News host Mike
> Huckabee this weekend that he would support an amendment to his
> state?s constitution to define life as beginning at conception, which
> would outlaw abortion and potentially many forms of contraception as
> well. Noting that the state supreme court forced the inclusion of
> abortion coverage in Romney?s universal health care law, the GOP
> presidential front-runner said the only way to undo the decision would
> be a constitutional amendment. Asked if he would support such a move,
> Romney replied, ?absolutely?:
>
> HUCKABEE: Would you have supported a constitutional amendment that
> would have established definition of life beginning of life at
> conception?
>
> ROMNEY: Absolutely.
>
> Watch him say it on video, here:
> http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/10/03/334190/mitt-romeny-constitutional-amendment-abort...
> (10/3/2011)
>
> Romney's "condemnation" of Akin's remarks is just another Romney flip-
> flop. In short, the man is lying.

No. Akin said something biologically incorrect. Romney disavowed it.
Unconditionally. It's true they apparently favor the same policy vis a vis
abortion (though agreeing to sign the legislation isn't quite the same
things as being aggressive in bringing it about, but never mind that).
It's your inability to respect opinions different than your own that causes
you to be unable to distinguish the "badness" of Akin's comment about
"forcible rape" and a particular view on abortion.

> The Republican platform contains a personhood clause. Romn

Jenn

In article <tJCdnY4l5uUxWafNnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@supernews.com>,
"Frank Berger" <frankdberger@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jenn wrote:
> > In article <iOydnaKg7JryPafNnZ2dnUVZ_tydnZ2d@supernews.com>,

> >> Uh huh. I just watched President Obama try to link Romney to Akin.
> >> Romney has condemned Akin's remarks has forcefully as it is possible
> >> to do, but Obama tries to associate Romney to Akin. That just as
> >> dishonest as anything Romney has done.
> >
> > Where did you "just watch" this? I'll look it up.
> >

> ABC News.

Is this the one you meant?
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/voice-vote-romney-pushes-bac...

> > If the President was saying that Akin was expressing the very policy
> > attitude that Romney, Ryan, and the Repub party platform has
> > expressed, he's right.
>
> It's one thing to share policies, it's another to imply that Romney shares
> the same idiotic ideas expressed by Akin. Unless you think they're
> equivalent, too.

I've seen no effort by the President to link Romney to the idiotic Adkin
ideas about rape. The idiotic policy on abortion, yes.

--
www.jennifermartinmusic.com

mark

On Aug 26, 5:24 pm, Bob Harper <bob.har...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 8/26/12 4:25 PM, Mark S wrote:
> (snip)
>

> > Romney saying that he and Ryan believe in an exception to a ban on
> > abortion in the case of rape, incest or to protect the life of the
> > mother? HE'S LYING. Or, he's stupid. Which one is it?
>
> Neither, Mark; you're hyperventilating again.
>
> Bob Harper

Nope.

Again, I marvel at the way your knee-jerk reaction is to defend the
indefensible when the subject is some RW hack like Mitt Romney.
Multiple-choice Mitt they call him. The list of issues upon which Mitt
has expressed diametrically opposed positions is staggering. I won't
recount them all here because we all know what they are, as do you,
Bob.

So how is it hyperventilating to point out an obvious truth? Either
Mitt was lying when he said in November that he would sign a
personhood amendment, or he was lying this week when he said he's OK
with abortion in a few instances. Both cannot be true.

If I was being charitable, I'd say Mitt was stupid and acting lie an
asshole. Unfortunately, it's obvious that he's more craven than that.