Is there a college textbook for Ruby?

James Dinkel

1/3/2007 10:46:00 PM

The Pragmatic Programmer's "Programming Ruby" book is great, but I'm
looking for something that is split up with questions and lessons and
junk like that.

You know how school textbooks are: they explain something, and then ask
you to answer questions and do exercises based on what they just
explained. Is there something like that for Ruby and/or RubyOnRails?

Greg Donald

On 1/3/07, James Dinkel <jdinkel@bucoks.com> wrote:
> The Pragmatic Programmer's "Programming Ruby" book is great, but I'm
> looking for something that is split up with questions and lessons and
> junk like that.
>
> You know how school textbooks are: they explain something, and then ask
> you to answer questions and do exercises based on what they just
> explained. Is there something like that for Ruby and/or RubyOnRails?

The Ruby Cookbook and Ruby Quiz are sorta like that.

--
Greg Donald
http://des...

Jeremy McAnally

I wouldn't recommed either of those as a primary text; I would perhaps
use them as references (except Ruby Quiz could be fun for homework if
you're evil ;)).

I don't know if there really is anything out there; I've been working
on something in my spare time but I have too many projects on my plate
right now to finish it. My suggestion would be to develop a
curriculum based on either the Pickaxe or Ruby for Rails (Which is
split up a little better IMHO).

--Jeremy

--
My free Ruby e-book:
http://www.humblelittlerubybook...

My blogs:
http://www.mrneigh...
http://www.rubyinpra...

Jason Bornhoft

James Dinkel wrote:
> The Pragmatic Programmer's "Programming Ruby" book is great, but I'm
> looking for something that is split up with questions and lessons and
> junk like that.
>
> You know how school textbooks are: they explain something, and then ask
> you to answer questions and do exercises based on what they just
> explained. Is there something like that for Ruby and/or RubyOnRails?

Not so much a textbook but Brian Schroeder's website includes the slides
of a summer university level course on the Ruby language. Each section
closes with problems to solve.

http://ruby.brian-schroeder....

JB

NoSpamAtAll

In article <jte1789g79q3a07bhfambvk9oj2drqsf54@4ax.com>,
The Revd <peeling@degenerate.Grik> wrote:

> I want to disinter the Queen Mother and butt-fuck
> her to death again!!

Can someone do something regarding this sick creature? Alert
the authorities, perhaps?