Jabber server in Ruby

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

1/3/2007 8:08:00 AM

Does a Jabber server written in Ruby exist already or in development,
besides xmppd?

Is anybody planning to write one?

--
Gerardo Santana

3 Answers

2007/1/3, Francis Cianfrocca <garbagecat10@gmail.com>:
> On 1/3/07, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido <gerardo.santana@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does a Jabber server written in Ruby exist already or in development,
> > besides xmppd?
> >
> > Is anybody planning to write one?
>
> Maybe. Why do you need one? Are there problems with the existing ones?

jabberd and ejabberd are the better ones, AFAIK.

jabberd disappointed me, too many bugs.
I couldn't try ejabberd because it requires Erlang. I may give it a
try now and see.

--
Gerardo

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

2007/1/3, Francis Cianfrocca <garbagecat10@gmail.com>:
> On 1/3/07, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido <gerardo.santana@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 2007/1/3, Francis Cianfrocca <garbagecat10@gmail.com>:

> > > Maybe. Why do you need one? Are there problems with the existing ones?
> >
> > jabberd and ejabberd are the better ones, AFAIK.
> >
> > jabberd disappointed me, too many bugs.
> > I couldn't try ejabberd because it requires Erlang. I may give it a
> > try now and see.
> >
> > --
> > Gerardo
> >

> That's very interesting. jabberd is used by a great many people. Did you
> really find serious instabilities in it? Was this a production or a testing
> environment?

Take a look:

http://j2.openaether.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__all__&product=&am...

If you want to talk about it, let's take it off the list. I've already
got my answer: there's none.

--
Gerardo Santana

Eric Hodel

On Jan 3, 2007, at 07:08, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido wrote:
> 2007/1/3, Francis Cianfrocca <garbagecat10@gmail.com>:
>> On 1/3/07, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
>> <gerardo.santana@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Does a Jabber server written in Ruby exist already or in
>> development,
>> > besides xmppd?
>> >
>> > Is anybody planning to write one?
>>
>> Maybe. Why do you need one? Are there problems with the existing
>> ones?
>
> jabberd and ejabberd are the better ones, AFAIK.
>
> jabberd disappointed me, too many bugs.
> I couldn't try ejabberd because it requires Erlang. I may give it a
> try now and see.

Would a perl jabber server work?

http://code.sixapart.com/svn/djabb...

It was largely written by Brad Fitz for Livejournal's LJTalk service.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!