Any projects need rdoc documentation help?

Jason Bornhoft

1/2/2007 8:11:00 PM

As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
documentation requirements.

I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
well!

Thanks in advance!

James Britt

Jay Bornhoft wrote:
> As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
> community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
> documentation requirements.

Yes. The Ruby Standard Library

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://beginni... - Beginning Ruby: The Online Book

Mat Schaffer

On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Jay Bornhoft wrote:

> As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
> community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
> documentation requirements.
>
> I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate
> documentation as
> well!
>

> Thanks in advance!

How's your C? Either way. Ruby itself could always use help with the
documentation. There's a working set of guidelines available at:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=ajjwr9dccr...

It's a little bit out of date though. I'll work on updating it now
that ruby's in subversion rather than CVS. In the mean time, check
out this URL for details on checking out a copy of ruby:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/#foll...

Also, joining the ruby-doc mailing list is a good start.

-Mat

Jason Bornhoft

> How's your C? Either way. Ruby itself could always use help with the
> documentation. There's a working set of guidelines available at:
>
> http://docs.google.com/View?docid=ajjwr9dccr...
>
> It's a little bit out of date though. I'll work on updating it now
> that ruby's in subversion rather than CVS. In the mean time, check
> out this URL for details on checking out a copy of ruby:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/#foll...
>
> Also, joining the ruby-doc mailing list is a good start.

My C is non-existent... the only language I 'know' is Ruby.

I will check out both of the links you suggested, as well as the Ruby
Standard Library, and join myself up for the mailing list.

JB

S. Robert James

Jay Bornhoft wrote:
> As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
> community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
> documentation requirements.
>
> I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
> well!
>

> Thanks in advance!

SOAP4R is a crucial lib, and has *no* RDoc (other than the
autogenerated). It would be a great benefit to doc this.

I know from experience that when trying to introduce people to Ruby,
when they want to know does Ruby do SOAP, it's a big turn off to not
have any docs...

(While you're at it, http-access2 is related and could use some
revisions...)

Rob Sanheim

On 1/2/07, Robert James <srobertjames@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jay Bornhoft wrote:
> > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
> > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
> > documentation requirements.
> >
> > I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
> > well!
> >

> > Thanks in advance!
>
> SOAP4R is a crucial lib, and has *no* RDoc (other than the
> autogenerated). It would be a great benefit to doc this.
>
> I know from experience that when trying to introduce people to Ruby,
> when they want to know does Ruby do SOAP, it's a big turn off to not
> have any docs...
>
> (While you're at it, http-access2 is related and could use some
> revisions...)

+1 on Soap4R. Its a shame how poorly documented that lib is.
- rob

Chris Carter

On 1/2/07, Robert James <srobertjames@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jay Bornhoft wrote:
> > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
> > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
> > documentation requirements.
> >
> > I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
> > well!
> >

> > Thanks in advance!
>
> SOAP4R is a crucial lib, and has *no* RDoc (other than the
> autogenerated). It would be a great benefit to doc this.
>
> I know from experience that when trying to introduce people to Ruby,
> when they want to know does Ruby do SOAP, it's a big turn off to not
> have any docs...
>
> (While you're at it, http-access2 is related and could use some
> revisions...)

I too am willing to help document projects, and I will take a look at
Soap4R and see if I can help document it

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

Sean Bryant

Robert James wrote:
> Jay Bornhoft wrote:
>> As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
>> community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
>> documentation requirements.
>>
>> I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
>> well!
>>

>> Thanks in advance!
>
> SOAP4R is a crucial lib, and has *no* RDoc (other than the
> autogenerated). It would be a great benefit to doc this.
>
> I know from experience that when trying to introduce people to Ruby,
> when they want to know does Ruby do SOAP, it's a big turn off to not
> have any docs...
>
> (While you're at it, http-access2 is related and could use some
> revisions...)

+1 for SOAP4R. It's crucial such libs are documented. Just my opinion
for having to hand implement a SOAP lib in other languages and this
being something useful that I'd use if I had to do it again in Ruby.

Rob Muhlestein

Jay Bornhoft wrote:
> As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
> community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
> documentation requirements.

This touches on two broader topics as well 1) a master prioritized
TODO/Ruby list other than the 'project want ads' on RubyForge and 2)
the state of the rdoc tool itself. A casual search of google doesn't
reveal anything immediately.

Seems like we could use some top priorites for the new year laid out
and focus efforts on those, but probably a little oversimplified given
the scope and number of Ruby projects out there to be done.

Personally I'd like to see RAA/RubyGems registry a-la CPAN-ish stuff
materialize more this year with focus on preventing filename clashes
and namespace registration along with self-documenting code that
produces web site documentation just by uploading it. I don't see that
in RAA currently, but there is a lot going on out there. And then we
could build on that with a community-based test grid and ratings, that
would be cool.

So far I find rdoc far from from the Perl POD or even JavaDoc I grew
accustomed to. I realize there are other priorities. I do wonder why
POD wasn't just stolen verbatum. It didn't seem 'broken' to me. People
write entire books in POD. Please correct me, but I don't believe rdoc
is to that level yet. Would be good to get it there. I'll have to dig
up the rdoc 'project team' info, if any and take a look at todos for
the rdoc tool itself.

Rob Muhlestein

Mat Schaffer wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Jay Bornhoft wrote:
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/#foll...

Mat, I noticed that this still refers to the ruby_1_8 branch but I
assume helping document stuff for 1.9 is needed as well. I wonder if
matz would prefer documentation patches be submitted for
braches/matzruby or the new yarv-based trunk. Then there is the
question of making sure useful documentation applied to 1_8 that is
still relevant to 1_9/2.0 is also applied there. Anyone know? If not,
I'll take the question to the ruby-doc list. Thanks.

Mat Schaffer

On Jan 3, 2007, at 1:10 AM, Rob Muhlestein wrote:

> Mat Schaffer wrote:
>> On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Jay Bornhoft wrote:
>> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/#foll...
>
> Mat, I noticed that this still refers to the ruby_1_8 branch but I
> assume helping document stuff for 1.9 is needed as well. I wonder if
> matz would prefer documentation patches be submitted for
> braches/matzruby or the new yarv-based trunk. Then there is the
> question of making sure useful documentation applied to 1_8 that is
> still relevant to 1_9/2.0 is also applied there. Anyone know? If not,
> I'll take the question to the ruby-doc list. Thanks.

The word from Eric is that you should work against the trunk but also
provide 1_8 compatible diffs unless the port to 1_8 is trivial. In
which case one of the committers can do it by hand. Not sure how
that applies to the matzruby branch. That could just be his testbed,
in which case it probably shouldn't have much effort spent on
documentation.
-Mat