Ruby Interpreter on OSX 10.4.7 within Eclipse

jpshahom@gmail.com

12/31/2006 11:56:00 PM

Learning Ruby and working in the Eclipse IDE - which I use for Java
programming - what interpreter would you recommend using and where can
I find it?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

8 Answers

naPOLeon

If I understand you right, you are looking for an Eclipse-plugin?!

In this case you should give RadRails a try (<a
href="http://www.radrails.org/">RadRails-Website...). You get a
Rails-framework and a Ruby-IDE too. I recommend to use the integrated
updater in Eclipse (Help -> Software Updates -> Finf and Install).

As you are using MacOS, I hope you already came across <a
href="http://www.macromates.com/">TextMate..., the best editor on
earth and *the* killer-app of MacOS. It's a texteditor on steroids, and
in my oppinion far better than RadRails.

Hope that helps,
napoleon

naPOLeon

If I understand you right, you are looking for an Eclipse-plugin?!

In this case you should give RadRails a try (<a
href="http://www.radrails.org/">RadRails-Website...). You get a
Rails-framework and a Ruby-IDE too. I recommend to use the integrated
updater in Eclipse (Help -> Software Updates -> Finf and Install).

As you are using MacOS, I hope you already came across <a
href="http://www.macromates.com/">TextMate..., the best editor on
earth and *the* killer-app of MacOS. It's a texteditor on steroids, and
in my oppinion far better than RadRails.

Hope that helps,
napoleon

jpshahom@gmail.com

Napoleon,

I'm not clear, i just want to get the interpreter to run in Eclipse for
now to get started with Ruby within Eclipse (I may change my mind later
on and go to RadRails).
When I go through the Eclipse help, the message I get has to do with
some 'site stream failing'.
Is there a plug-in interpreter somewhere I could get hold of?
Thanks.
Jean-Pierre

naPOLeon wrote:
> If I understand you right, you are looking for an Eclipse-plugin?!
>
> In this case you should give RadRails a try (<a
> href="http://www.radrails.org/">RadRails-Website...). You get a
> Rails-framework and a Ruby-IDE too. I recommend to use the integrated
> updater in Eclipse (Help -> Software Updates -> Finf and Install).
>
> As you are using MacOS, I hope you already came across <a
> href="http://www.macromates.com/">TextMate..., the best editor on
> earth and *the* killer-app of MacOS. It's a texteditor on steroids, and
> in my oppinion far better than RadRails.
>
> Hope that helps,
> napoleon

David Johnston

On 3/11/2012 10:43 AM, Michael Black wrote:

> No, they weren't all made elsewhere, but they showed a more
> international flavor. What current US network shows take place in
> another country, other than "The River"?

Missing is about to debut. There were of course some shows in foreign
settings at the start of the year that failed to make the cut.

W/Q

On Mar 11, 1:49 pm, David Johnston <Da...@block.net> wrote:
> On 3/11/2012 10:43 AM, Michael Black wrote:
>

> > No, they weren't all made elsewhere, but they showed a more
> > international flavor. What current US network shows take place in
> > another country, other than "The River"?
>
> Missing is about to debut.  There were of course some shows in foreign
> settings at the start of the year that failed to make the cut.

Some? I can think of only two, Pan Am and Charlie's Angels, but they
looked like they were back-lotted, green-screened and made clever use
of LA locations and environs to make it appear like they were
somewhere else. That airport scene alone in the pilot simply screamed
of green-screening and CGI.

David Johnston

On 3/11/2012 12:09 PM, W/Q wrote:
> On Mar 11, 1:49 pm, David Johnston<Da...@block.net> wrote:
>> On 3/11/2012 10:43 AM, Michael Black wrote:
>>

>>> No, they weren't all made elsewhere, but they showed a more
>>> international flavor. What current US network shows take place in
>>> another country, other than "The River"?
>>
>> Missing is about to debut. There were of course some shows in foreign
>> settings at the start of the year that failed to make the cut.
>
> Some? I can think of only two, Pan Am and Charlie's Angels,

I was also thinking of Off the Map, but it seems to have come in earlier
than I remembered.

Adam H. Kerman

W/Q <iwq@email.com> wrote:

>Yeah, TV has become way too domestic compared to the 60s and even late
>50s and early 70s. It Takes a Thief decided to shake off the
>staidness of its back lot formula and film in Europe for its final
>season as a way to both hold on to its old viewers and lure some new
>ones to its new time slot when it got moved to be up against Dean
>Martin and CBS Thursday movies, both of which were already scoring
>well with viewers, particularly top 10-rated Martin. . . .

A while back, I rewatched It Takes A Thief, even caught a few episodes
for the first time. The Italian episodes were uniformly awful. Very
little of the third season featured Munday as a thief. He became an
all-purpose SIA agent, often lent to foreign intelligence or US law
enforcement. That final season was largely crap.

The great Malachi Throne was dropped from the cast (the show couldn't
afford a two-man main cast). Anim pointed out that the actor
didn't want to do second-unit scenes back in Los Angeles without
participating in the main part of the story of each Italian episode,
as the producers weren't willing to fly him to Rome. Al reported to
Wally on a few episodes, and one MI-6 guy on a couple of episodes, but
otherwise, it was impossible to know how Al knew he wasn't being
recruited by the enemy.

The female guest stars OMIGOD were absolutely breathtakingly beautiful
during that final season.

Anim8rFSK

In article <jjiu7b$vit$5@news.albasani.net>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> W/Q <iwq@email.com> wrote:
>
> >Yeah, TV has become way too domestic compared to the 60s and even late
> >50s and early 70s. It Takes a Thief decided to shake off the
> >staidness of its back lot formula and film in Europe for its final
> >season as a way to both hold on to its old viewers and lure some new
> >ones to its new time slot when it got moved to be up against Dean
> >Martin and CBS Thursday movies, both of which were already scoring
> >well with viewers, particularly top 10-rated Martin. . . .
>
> A while back, I rewatched It Takes A Thief, even caught a few episodes
> for the first time. The Italian episodes were uniformly awful. Very
> little of the third season featured Munday as a thief. He became an
> all-purpose SIA agent, often lent to foreign intelligence or US law
> enforcement. That final season was largely crap.

You did get Fred Astaire though. And the conceit that he was the Cary
Grant character from To Catch A Thief. Did they ever tell us who Al's
mother was? (wikis) Hmm. Grace Kelly was only a year older than
Robert Wagner. Astaire and Grant were both old enough to be Wagner's
father though.

> The great Malachi Throne was dropped from the cast (the show couldn't
> afford a two-man main cast). Anim pointed out that the actor
> didn't want to do second-unit scenes back in Los Angeles without
> participating in the main part of the story of each Italian episode,
> as the producers weren't willing to fly him to Rome. Al reported to
> Wally on a few episodes, and one MI-6 guy on a couple of episodes, but
> otherwise, it was impossible to know how Al knew he wasn't being
> recruited by the enemy.
>
> The female guest stars OMIGOD were absolutely breathtakingly beautiful
> during that final season.

Looks like the DVD set finally came out

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKS1Z8?tag=tvshowsondvdcom&link_code=a...
ativeASIN=B005DKS1Z8&creative=373489&camp=211189

reviews say the video quality is pretty bad though. A shame, really.