Re: ruby for SCO

Overdorf, Sam

12/30/2006 2:08:00 AM

Yes I have tried that.

The SCO libraries have some compatibility problems.

I Tried finding the "gcc" compiler and libraries but they were not
current enough and had compilation error too.

So I'm kind of wondering if anyone has actually got 1.8.x running yet.

I looked at the www.sco.com site and all I can find there is 1.6.7 which
is too old.

Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: Gennady Bystritsky [mailto:Gennady.Bystritsky@quest.com]
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 2:19 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: ruby for SCO

Overdorf, Sam wrote:
> Does anybody have a copy of ruby-1.8.x that will run on: SCO6
> Unixware 7
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

Have you tried to compile it from the source? Any problem with that?
Just in case you do not know how to do it:

gunzip ruby-1.8.5-p12.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd ruby-1.8.5-p12
/configure
make
su
make install

It will make ruby available as /usr/local/bin/ruby

If you want another location to install ruby in, modify the configure
step with:

/configure --prefix=/location/that/you/prefer

Then after "make install" ruby will be available as
/location/that/you/prefer/bin/ruby

Gennady.

1 Answer

Edwin Fine

Overdorf, Sam wrote:
> Yes I have tried that.
>
> The SCO libraries have some compatibility problems.
>
> I Tried finding the "gcc" compiler and libraries but they were not
> current enough and had compilation error too.

Well, this WILL be a pain, but it sounds as if the only real
alternative you have would be to download all the sources needed to
compile a recent version of gcc, maybe 3.4.6. You will need many
supporting source packages, like bintools. You can get gcc 3.4.6 source
code by following the links at http://gcc.gnu.or... . According
to their web page they managed to build gcc on SCO OpenServer 5.0.6.
YMMV (and probably will).

I assume you DO have some sort of vanilla SCO C compiler available,
such as the cc command? Or maybe even c89 (less likely). I believe
that's all you should need (plus the supporting tools, which you will
probably also have to compile) to build gcc from the C sources. I did
build gcc myself a year or two ago.

If you have no working C compiler at all, well, that gets a bit tricky
:)