contest season (or something

pat eyler

12/29/2006 5:40:00 PM

It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New Year's Eve:
http://opc.kurukshetra.o...

a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.

I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
based in India,
but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.

--
thanks,
-pate

14 Answers

pat eyler

On 12/29/06, pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New Year's Eve:
> http://opc.kurukshetra.o...
>
> a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.
>
> I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
> based in India, but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.

And the original article *does* give the time zone. I just glossed over it.

--
thanks,
-pate

James Britt

pat eyler wrote:
> It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New
> Year's Eve:
> http://opc.kurukshetra.o...
>
> a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.
>
> I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
> based in India,
> but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.

"Participants can submit solutions in the following languages -- "

No functional languages? No Lisp? No Haskell?

Bah.

It's not a *real* programming contest.

:)

--
James Britt

"The use of anthropomorphic terminology when dealing with
computing systems is a symptom of professional immaturity."
- Edsger W. Dijkstra

pat eyler

On 12/29/06, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:
> pat eyler wrote:
> > It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New
> > Year's Eve:
> > http://opc.kurukshetra.o...
> >
> > a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.
> >
> > I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
> > based in India,
> > but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.
>
> "Participants can submit solutions in the following languages -- "
>

> No functional languages? No Lisp? No Haskell?

Yeah, but then all the winners would be FP geeks. This way everyone
else get's a shot.

> Bah.
>

> It's not a *real* programming contest.

Sure, it's just like AA or AAA league.

> :)

;^)

--
thanks,
-pate

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Quoting pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com>:

> It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New Year's
> Eve:
> http://opc.kurukshetra.o...
>
> a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.
>
> I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
> based in India,
> but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.

Anyone taking side bets as to which language the winners will be using?

If I were at all competent in C, I'd sure take a shot at it, but the only
language on that list I'd be able to speed-code in at this point is Perl, and I
rather doubt that I could take on a C programmer in something like that.

In any event, my side bet is that the winner will be using either C or C++. :)

James Britt

pat eyler wrote:
> On 12/29/06, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> pat eyler wrote:
>> > It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New
>> > Year's Eve:
>> > http://opc.kurukshetra.o...
>> >
>> > a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
>> > based in India,
>> > but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.
>>
>> "Participants can submit solutions in the following languages -- "
>>

>> No functional languages? No Lisp? No Haskell?
>
> Yeah, but then all the winners would be FP geeks. This way everyone
> else get's a shot.

Quite true.

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://beginni... - Beginning Ruby: The Online Book
http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jame... - Playing with Better Toys

William James

pat eyler wrote:
> It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New Year's Eve:
> http://opc.kurukshetra.o...
>
> a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.
>
> I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
> based in India,
> but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.

>From the site:
"You are given N integer numbers. Choose thee of them which give
maximum product."

I don't get it. Isn't this the same as finding the 3 largest numbers?

John W Kennedy

William James wrote:
> pat eyler wrote:
>> It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New Year's Eve:
>> http://opc.kurukshetra.o...
>>
>> a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.
>>
>> I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
>> based in India,
>> but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.
>
>>From the site:
> "You are given N integer numbers. Choose thee of them which give
> maximum product."
>
> I don't get it. Isn't this the same as finding the 3 largest numbers?

Integers are not necessarily positive; the complications introduced
thereby are -- interesting.

Since this is a /programming/ problem, the question arises, too, of what
to do about overflow. (In Ruby, the answer is, "ignore it, because it
won't happen except under system-crashing conditions", but I'm not sure
that's the answer they have in mind.)

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

James Britt wrote:
> pat eyler wrote:

>>> "Participants can submit solutions in the following languages -- "
>>>

>>> No functional languages? No Lisp? No Haskell?
>>
>> Yeah, but then all the winners would be FP geeks. This way everyone
>> else get's a shot.
>
> Quite true.

Besides, you can use a functional programming *style* in Ruby fairly
easily if you wish. I don't know Python well, but I suspect it's also
fairly easy in Python. I'd have a hard time doing FP in Perl, although
I'm sure it's *possible*, and of course, *anything* is possible in C++. :)

http://borasky-research.blo...

Jamie Macey

On 12/29/06, pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New Year's Eve:
> http://opc.kurukshetra.o...
>
> a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.
>
> I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
> based in India,
> but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.

Sadly, I lost the ability to be productive coding between 12:30 and
6:30am about three years ago, otherwise I'd give it a shot.

It did get me thinking about organizing a ruby coding contest for the
community, though. Limit to Ruby only, similar organization/scoring
to this one (6 problems worth points, bonus points for the
smallest/fastest/least memory on each problem) and do cash prizes. I
don't have $1500 to put up for prizes, but if a $5 admission was
organized, 30 people could make a $75/$50/$25 prize split.

Would anyone be interested in participating in such a contest?

- Jamie

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Jamie Macey wrote:
> On 12/29/06, pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It looks like there's a cool programming contest scheduled for New
>> Year's Eve:
>> http://opc.kurukshetra.o...
>>
>> a $1,000 first prize, a $500 second prize, and 5 x $100 third prizes.
>>
>> I'm not sure which timezone this is actually happening in, as it's
>> based in India,
>> but it looks pretty cool nonetheless.
>
> Sadly, I lost the ability to be productive coding between 12:30 and
> 6:30am about three years ago, otherwise I'd give it a shot.
>
> It did get me thinking about organizing a ruby coding contest for the
> community, though. Limit to Ruby only, similar organization/scoring
> to this one (6 problems worth points, bonus points for the
> smallest/fastest/least memory on each problem) and do cash prizes. I
> don't have $1500 to put up for prizes, but if a $5 admission was
> organized, 30 people could make a $75/$50/$25 prize split.
>
> Would anyone be interested in participating in such a contest?
>
> - Jamie

I personally think "competitive programming" is an abomination.
Programming is all about cooperation and communication, about helping
people learn a difficult art and science, and about producing worthwhile
artifacts. Maybe I thought differently when I was 19, fresh out of
college and programming for a living, but it didn't take long for that
to get beaten out of me. :)

http://borasky-research.blo...