reading .jar files

Mark Volkmann

12/28/2006 6:51:00 PM

How can I read the entries in a Java .jar file from Ruby?

I tried the standard library Zlib, but that doesn't work ... I think
because .jar files use the zip format instead of the gzip format.

I tried the rubyzip library at http://rubyzip.source.... For
some reason that didn't get to all the entries in the file, only
"META-INF/" and "META-INF/MANIFEST.MF".

2 Answers

Michael P. Soulier

On 12/28/06, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I read the entries in a Java .jar file from Ruby?
>
> I tried the standard library Zlib, but that doesn't work ... I think
> because .jar files use the zip format instead of the gzip format.
>
> I tried the rubyzip library at http://rubyzip.source.... For
> some reason that didn't get to all the entries in the file, only
> "META-INF/" and "META-INF/MANIFEST.MF".

Perhaps you should simply call the jar program, or unzip, instead of
trying to read the file directly.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein

Thomas Sondergaard

Mark Volkmann wrote:
> How can I read the entries in a Java .jar file from Ruby?
>
> I tried the standard library Zlib, but that doesn't work ... I think
> because .jar files use the zip format instead of the gzip format.
>
> I tried the rubyzip library at http://rubyzip.source.... For some
> reason that didn't get to all the entries in the file, only "META-INF/"
> and "META-INF/MANIFEST.MF".

rubyzip should be able to read the jar file. Can you send me a .jar file
that is causing you problems.

Best regards,

Thomas Sondergaard