where does song.name come from?

Li Chen

12/28/2006 3:55:00 AM

Hi all,

On page 49 of Pickaxe 2 are some scripts:

class Songlist
def with_title(title)
@songs.find{|song| title==song.name}

I just wonder where the method "name" comes from and
what its purpose is here. I check for Index on page
809 and find "name" is mentioned in class Module only,
which returns the name of module mod.

Thanks,

Li

http://mail...

3 Answers

Morton Goldberg

On Dec 27, 2006, at 10:55 PM, chen li wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On page 49 of Pickaxe 2 are some scripts:
>
> class Songlist
> def with_title(title)
> @songs.find{|song| title==song.name}
>
> I just wonder where the method "name" comes from and
> what its purpose is here. I check for Index on page
> 809 and find "name" is mentioned in class Module only,
> which returns the name of module mod.

Very much earlier in the book (p. 26 in the PDF version) the class
Song was defined as follows:

class Song
def name
@name
end
def artist
@artist
end
def duration
@duration

That's where 'name' comes from. It's a reader method and it's purpose
is to return the value of the instance variable Song::@name. It has
nothing to do with the method Module::name.

Regards, Morton

Gavin Kistner

chen li wrote:
> On page 49 of Pickaxe 2 are some scripts:
>
> class Songlist
> def with_title(title)
> @songs.find{|song| title==song.name}
>
> I just wonder where the method "name" comes from and
> what its purpose is here.

Earlier in the book there is:

class Song
def name
@name

Li Chen

Gavin Kistner wrote:

> Earlier in the book there is:
>
> class Song
> def name
> @name

Thanks.

The methods about class Song are everywhere on different pages.
Sometimes I get lost. I think it would be nice if somewhere in the
book(such as appendix) class Song and all its methods are put together.

Li