The Programmer Hierarchy

10 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Quoting Trans <transfire@gmail.com>:

> http://www.hermann-uwe.de/files/images/programmer_hie...

The only problem with that chart is that there should be *three* languages in
the top row -- Lisp, Assembler and Forth. :)

Jeremy McAnally

I hope they know that Ruby isn't a web language...

On 12/26/06, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.hermann-uwe.de/files/images/programmer_hie...

David Vallner

Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> I hope they know that Ruby isn't a web language...

It's probably a reference to the huge number of Java and PHP expats Ruby
has attracted recently. (Though that seems to have shifted to GUI
programmers and Windows automation people recently. The former might
have something to do with the Ajax hype receding, the latter seems to be
a stable base of relatively nontechnical users.)

David Vallner

Trans

Jason Mayer wrote:

> Anyway, I'm pretty sure Trans meant for it to be a joke. Laugh, it was
> funny.

Indeed! I should have put a big smiley on my post :D

Just to be clear I didn't create it --just thought it was funny enough
to share. Rather, it was found deep down in the blog server of one "Uwe
Hermann". And I imagine the web lanaguage reference is really just a
joke about the huge impact Rails has had on "popularizing" Ruby.

Enjoy,
T.

dblack

David Vallner

Jason Mayer wrote a touchy rant.

Huh?

My, my, aren't we extrapolating into extremes a bit?

David Vallner

Giles Bowkett

> > I hope they know that Ruby isn't a web language...
>
> I'd say the evidence is that they don't.
>
> All I can say is that I saw the Ruby/Rails confusion coming from a
> mile away -- shades of "PERL/CGI" -- and I wrote a book to help people
> get it right. I'd like to think it's helping, though clearly there
> are still consciousnesses left to raise.

I have to say, that's a very worthy cause, I just hope it isn't so
noble as to be tragically doomed, which I sometimes think it might
indeed be. There's the possibility of a very mixed blessing on the
horizon for Ruby programmers -- a huge quantity of bad Rails code
written by well-intentioned people who figured "hey, this programming
stuff is easier than I thought." On the one hand, writing Ruby for a
living might be a lot easier to do in the future, but it might not be
as fun as it is now.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesg...

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Giles Bowkett wrote:
> There's the possibility of a very mixed blessing on the
> horizon for Ruby programmers -- a huge quantity of bad Rails code
> written by well-intentioned people who figured "hey, this programming
> stuff is easier than I thought."
You mean like the mounds of bad FORTRAN and COBOL that are about to
become a national disgrace because the people who wrote and maintain
them are retiring and the young folks don't want to learn those "old
fogey" languages? :)

Speaking of which, I have actually seen a FORTRAN code recently (though
I refuse to embarrass the maintainer by revealing its name) that uses
three-branch IF statements!

IF (I) 100, 200, 300

IIRC gfortran accepts it with a warning.

> On the one hand, writing Ruby for a
> living might be a lot easier to do in the future, but it might not be
> as fun as it is now.

http://borasky-research.blo...

Matt Rose

On 27-Dec-06, at 8:51 AM, dblack@wobblini.net wrote:

> Hi --
>
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Jeremy McAnally wrote:
>
>> On 12/26/06, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.hermann-uwe.de/files/images/programmer_hie...
>> I hope they know that Ruby isn't a web language...
>
> I'd say the evidence is that they don't.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Perl was mainly a "web
language" in it's early stages as well. Any language can be a "web
language", but the ones that are easy to use are particularly
effective as web languages. I would take it as a compliment. :)

Matt

> David
>
> --
> Q. What is THE Ruby book for Rails developers?
> A. RUBY FOR RAILS by David A. Black (http://www.manning...)
> (See what readers are saying! http://www.r.../r...)
> Q. Where can I get Ruby/Rails on-site training, consulting, coaching?
> A. Ruby Power and Light, LLC (http://www.r...)

dblack