[ANN] magic/help 0.20061226.1123 released

Tomasz Wegrzanowski

12/26/2006 3:22:00 PM

I've just released new version of magic/help - plugin for irb
providing more intuitive
documentation access by heavy use of reflection.

magic/help lets you ask for methods located anywhere in the class hierarchy:
> help "File.sync=" # returns documentation for IO#sync=
or even ask for help on arbitrary objects:
> help { some_file_obj.sync = true }
> help some_file_obj.method(:sync=)

Changes in the release include:
* Correct handling of all cases where documentation and reflection mismatched,
including Kernel# vs Object# (where methods were declared and where
documentation
claimed they were declared frequently mismatched), SomeClass.new (most classes
do not override Class.new, but still provide documentation).
* Improvements in handling private methods, methods from modules,
unloaded methods
from loaded classes (like Time without time.rb), and many more
* A gem for the library

Full release notes for the new version:
* http://t-a-w.blo...2006/12/magichelp-u...
The original post announcing magic/help:
* http://t-a-w.blo...2006/11/magichelp-for...

For simply downloading the gem:
* http://zabor.org/taw/magic_help/magic_help-0.2006122...

By the way, what should I do to get my gems onto default gem repository ? :-)

--
Tomasz Wegrzanowski [ http://t-a-w.blo... ]

4 Answers

Andre Nathan

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 00:21 +0900, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> I've just released new version of magic/help - plugin for irb
> providing more intuitive
> documentation access by heavy use of reflection.

Nice :)

> By the way, what should I do to get my gems onto default gem repository ? :-)

Create a project at rubyforge and upload the files there.

Andre

Ryan Davis

On Dec 26, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

Nice project!! Too bad I won't use it until it is a full fledged gem.

> For simply downloading the gem:
> * http://zabor.org/taw/magic_help/magic_help-0.2006122...
>
> By the way, what should I do to get my gems onto default gem
> repository ? :-)

Yes, as Andre pointed out. Create a project on rubyforge. This is the
easiest way and there are a lot of benefits:

+ bug tracker (this is probably the most important imo).
+ mailing lists.
+ cvs/svn hosting if you are so inclined. (our projects use perforce
and mirror to svn)
+ public announcements with RSS feeds.
+ web space for your doco.
+ wiki full of spam :)
+ people can find your stuff since it is the first place to go to
find ruby related things.

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 05:16 +0900, Ryan Davis wrote:
> + wiki full of spam :)

Sad but true! But at least now if the Wiki isn't selected it doesn't
get created and spammed...

Speaking of which, if anyone has a RubyForge project and you've enabled
but are no longer using a Wiki, please go into the project admin pages
and disable it. You will reduce the entropy of the universe!

Thanks,

Tom

Paul Nelson

akenn100@googlemail.com akenn100@googlemail.com said:
> On 15 Jun, 05:01, Duncan Patton <campb...@neotext.ca> wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:14:42 -0700
> >
> > kangarooistan <kangaroois...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Why not simply accept the facts , America and Israel are DOOMED ,
> > > thats why Islam is growing so fast make
> >
> > The major reason they are NOT doomed in this instance is that the Arab
> > peoples desperately want to share in the prosperity of the modern world
> > and there is no chance of achieving this thru militancy. A viable modern
> > state requires the labor of many acting in full and good conscience to
> > achieve and maintain.
> >
> > Dhu
>
> They don't *seem* so desperate. Witness the overthrow of the Shah in
> all his Western holiness for what? Things seem to be tending in THAT
> direction.
>
> There are three types of materialism: Crass materialism, philisophical
> materialism, and spritual materialism. The latter - the most dangerous
> and tenacious. >Archie

Ah! "spiritual materialism"!

That explains why (whilst channel surfing) I once saw Tammy Faye Bakker on a
reality show with white rapper Vanilla Ice (aka: Robert Van Winkle) , Eric
Estrada and some other has-been idiots!

Got to avoid "spiritual materialism"!