extending Rake with a method rshell

hemant

12/26/2006 1:36:00 AM

I want to extend Rake with a method rshell, which would enable anyone
to execute a command remotely on various UNIX boxes.

Also, if the command asks for input, then remote process's stdin
should be connected to current processes stdin. So, if the command
asks for input, user can type it from current machine.

I have looked into Net::SSH, but can't find a reliable way to
connecting remote processes stdin to current process.

Capastrino does something like this, but not sure how?

I am trying on these lines

module Rake
class RemoteShell
attr_accessor :remote_ip,:user,:password,:remote_shell,:channels
def start_ssh_session
@channels ||= []
@channels << Net::SSH.start(@remote_ip,@user,@password)
end

def r_shell command
# open a channel and execute the command
# remote process should be connected to current process stdin

gnufied
-----------
There was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs
were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary.

5 Answers

hemant

On 12/26/06, hemant <gethemant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to extend Rake with a method rshell, which would enable anyone
> to execute a command remotely on various UNIX boxes.
>
> Also, if the command asks for input, then remote process's stdin
> should be connected to current processes stdin. So, if the command
> asks for input, user can type it from current machine.
>
> I have looked into Net::SSH, but can't find a reliable way to
> connecting remote processes stdin to current process.
>
> Capastrino does something like this, but not sure how?
>
> I am trying on these lines
>
> module Rake
> class RemoteShell
> attr_accessor :remote_ip,:user,:password,:remote_shell,:channels
> def start_ssh_session
> @channels ||= []
> @channels << Net::SSH.start(@remote_ip,@user,@password)
> end
>
> def r_shell command
> # open a channel and execute the command
> # remote process should be connected to current process stdin

I have looked into rake/contrib/sshpublisher . Yet, I wonder, how
methods defined in classes like SshDirPublisher would MIXIN into rake.

Alternately I can simple write the method rshell,but then, I want to
reuse ssh connection for executing other commands also.

So, without polluting Rakefile with those details, ain't it possibly
that all those details could be tucked away in library which extends
Rake?

--
gnufied
-----------
There was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs
were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary.

Gregory Brown

On 12/25/06, hemant <gethemant@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have looked into rake/contrib/sshpublisher . Yet, I wonder, how
> methods defined in classes like SshDirPublisher would MIXIN into rake.

In ruby, you can use mixins more-or-less anywhere

>> module A
>> def say_hello
>> puts "hello world"
>> end
>> end
=> nil
>> class String
>> include A
>> end
=> String
>> "foo".say_hello
hello world
=> nil

hemant

On 12/26/06, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/25/06, hemant <gethemant@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have looked into rake/contrib/sshpublisher . Yet, I wonder, how
> > methods defined in classes like SshDirPublisher would MIXIN into rake.
>
> In ruby, you can use mixins more-or-less anywhere
>
> >> module A
> >> def say_hello
> >> puts "hello world"
> >> end
> >> end
> => nil
> >> class String
> >> include A
> >> end
> => String
> >> "foo".say_hello
> hello world
> => nil

Thanks Gregory, I guess I can easily handle how to extend Rake. My
chief problem is, right now how can i attach remote process's stdin to
current terminal's input.

--
gnufied
-----------
There was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs
were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary.

Gregory Brown

On 12/26/06, hemant <gethemant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Gregory, I guess I can easily handle how to extend Rake. My
> chief problem is, right now how can i attach remote process's stdin to
> current terminal's input.

There is a chance it might be in the Net::SSH manual. I'm not sure if
you've found this yet.

http://net-ssh.ruby...

Also, it might be worthwhile to look at the Capistrano source if it
has a feature similar to this.

hemant

Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 12/26/06, hemant <gethemant@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Gregory, I guess I can easily handle how to extend Rake. My
>> chief problem is, right now how can i attach remote process's stdin to
>> current terminal's input.
>
> There is a chance it might be in the Net::SSH manual. I'm not sure if
> you've found this yet.
>
> http://net-ssh.ruby...
>
> Also, it might be worthwhile to look at the Capistrano source if it
> has a feature similar to this.

Yes I have looked into Net::SSH and also have hacked with Capistrino.