Ruby's Trac Alternative

Bil Kleb

12/21/2006 6:54:00 PM

So I'm trying to use Trac for our FUN3D development,
as an experiment for a potential NASA-wide installation,
but Trac is not the easiest thing to get setup. Lately,
I've even had to hack some of the Python internals to
get syntax highlighting working via enscript.

I recently read that the Rails-based alternative, Collaboa
(http://col...) is on the move again, but I can't
even see code.

What's up?

Thanks,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.lar...

Michael Greenly

Bil Kleb wrote:
> So I'm trying to use Trac for our FUN3D development,
> as an experiment for a potential NASA-wide installation,
> but Trac is not the easiest thing to get setup. Lately,
> I've even had to hack some of the Python internals to
> get syntax highlighting working via enscript.
>
> I recently read that the Rails-based alternative, Collaboa
> (http://col...) is on the move again, but I can't
> even see code.
>
> What's up?
>
> Thanks,

What system were you installing this on? I've always found Trac very
easy to setup and stable to use.

James Gray

On Dec 21, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:

> So I'm trying to use Trac for our FUN3D development,
> as an experiment for a potential NASA-wide installation,
> but Trac is not the easiest thing to get setup. Lately,
> I've even had to hack some of the Python internals to
> get syntax highlighting working via enscript.

You are definitely right that it's a pain. Everyone pretty much
tolerates it though, because it is definitely the best of the best.

> I recently read that the Rails-based alternative, Collaboa
> (http://col...) is on the move again, but I can't
> even see code.

I've seen many want-to-be-Trac programs. None of them go the
distance, sadly. When I last looked at Collaboa it didn't have or
even plan to include a wiki. That kills it as a Trac replacement for
me.

And really, is Rails deployment much better than Trac deployment? ;)

James Edward Gray II

Bil Kleb

Michael Greenly wrote:
> Bil Kleb wrote:
>> [..] Trac is not the easiest thing to get setup.
>
> What system were you installing this on? I've always found Trac very
> easy to setup and stable to use.

$ uname -romv
2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:29:47 EST 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant)

Actually, I'm living vicariously through my SA, except
for the having to hack Python part -- I'm enduring that
part.

Regards,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.lar...

Marc Heiler

Oh yeah...

I'd love to see something like Trac in Ruby too :)

But I guess it will still take some time, dont even
know if porting Trac-python into Ruby would be as
easy ;(

Uma Geller

> So I'm trying to use Trac for our FUN3D development,
> as an experiment for a potential NASA-wide installation,
> but Trac is not the easiest thing to get setup. Lately,
> I've even had to hack some of the Python internals to
> get syntax highlighting working via enscript.

For the Python-clueless in me, it wasn't easy to set-up Trac.
But after the initial pain things went rather smoothly.

I agree the ideal situation would be one were we could hack and add
qualities to the tool (I'm always finding names for things, Rutrac,
Tracby ?) but it seems so far, the quality of Trac has largely
outweighed the pain of being subject to Python.

Is it the main reason for a port would be to eliminate the pain of
hacking in Python, or is it something else we would be able to do with
Ruby that is (near) impossible with Python ?

A lady will always prefer gems to snakes, of course, but I'm trying to
find out whether there are powerful reasons to port Trac so that the
Ruby community would be willing to throw its weight behind.
Otherwise, solo efforts may not be the best idea for this kind effort
with little or no noticeable reward.
(in the end you will just have something that looks and smells like
Trac, only with Ruby inside)

best,
UG
---
Uma Geller
http://umageller.wor...

Simon Strandgaard

On 12/21/06, Marc Heiler <shevegen@linuxmail.org> wrote:
[snip]
> I'd love to see something like Trac in Ruby too :)
[snip]

+1

installing bugzilla wasn't easy.
installing trac was relative easy to install.

<braindump>
trac has a few issues:
1. no markdown.
2. no checkbox for enabling syntax coloring.
3. repository browser lacks diff.
4. inline image ackward.
5. no time planning.
6. not easy to extend, I don't do python
</braindump>

besides that trac is very good. but a rubytrac would be even better.

--
Simon Strandgaard
http://opc...

Bil Kleb

James Edward Gray II wrote:

> You are definitely right that it's a pain. Everyone pretty much
> tolerates it though, because it is definitely the best of the best.

Offline, someone pointed me at Thoughtworks' Agile on a disk:

http://buildix.thought...

The trouble with this shrink-wrapped approach is that in the event
that we eventually expand to a whole series of projects, like Why's
little bevy at http://code.whytheluck..., we need more hands-on
experience with the inner workings of the beast itself. Then again,
I'm probably mistaken.

> When I last looked at Collaboa it didn't have or even plan to
> include a wiki. That kills it as a Trac replacement for me.

Ditto. Just slamming in Junebug <http://junebugwi... or
something similar would be enough for me.

Later,
--
Bil Kleb
http://funit.rub...

Bil Kleb

Uma Geller wrote:

> Is it the main reason for a port would be to eliminate the pain of
> hacking in Python, or is it something else we would be able to do with
> Ruby that is (near) impossible with Python ?

Irrespective of Brooke's Second System Syndrome, I'd just like
a greenfield approach, incorporating the lessons learned from
Trac with the easy of `gem install` and the simplicity that is
Camping or Rails application code (not the underlying framework).

> A lady will always prefer gems to snakes, of course, but I'm trying to
> find out whether there are powerful reasons to port Trac so that the
> Ruby community would be willing to throw its weight behind.

It sounds like Collaboa has had some recent influx of love,
but after 22 days of silence, I'm beginning to wonder what's
going on.

Regards,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.lar...

Evan Webb

I have an experimental version of collaboa I've been hacking on this
week that adds a wiki and timeline support.

I plan on giving the patch to add both of these back to the collaboa
and if they don't want it, I'll maintain it seperately. I adore the
wiki integration with the ticket and SCM system. But I didn't want to
have to hack python when I wanted to change something. Collaboa is
pretty simple and adding the wiki and timeline have been pretty simple
so far.

- Evan Phoenix

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:
>
> > So I'm trying to use Trac for our FUN3D development,
> > as an experiment for a potential NASA-wide installation,
> > but Trac is not the easiest thing to get setup. Lately,
> > I've even had to hack some of the Python internals to
> > get syntax highlighting working via enscript.
>
> You are definitely right that it's a pain. Everyone pretty much
> tolerates it though, because it is definitely the best of the best.
>
> > I recently read that the Rails-based alternative, Collaboa
> > (http://col...) is on the move again, but I can't
> > even see code.
>
> I've seen many want-to-be-Trac programs. None of them go the
> distance, sadly. When I last looked at Collaboa it didn't have or
> even plan to include a wiki. That kills it as a Trac replacement for
> me.
>
> And really, is Rails deployment much better than Trac deployment? ;)
>
> James Edward Gray II

James Britt

Michael Greenly wrote:
> Bil Kleb wrote:
>> So I'm trying to use Trac for our FUN3D development,
>> as an experiment for a potential NASA-wide installation,
>> but Trac is not the easiest thing to get setup. Lately,
>> I've even had to hack some of the Python internals to
>> get syntax highlighting working via enscript.
>>
>> I recently read that the Rails-based alternative, Collaboa
>> (http://col...) is on the move again, but I can't
>> even see code.
>>
>> What's up?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> What system were you installing this on? I've always found Trac very
> easy to setup and stable to use.

Same here. Well, after all the fsck'n Python dependencies are in place.
:)

But I've had more issues installing svn than Trac.

I've started assembling some Ruby helper scripts for certain tasks
(creating a new Trac project; modifying user permissions) but still find
Trac best-of-breed.

But it's been a while since I've looked at Collaboa (which, at the time,
was a poor runner-up to Trac).

(Trac + darcs would be sweet, but as far as I can tell it is only really
doable through an svn-sync hack.)

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation