Remove Ruby 1.8.5?

Christopher Latif

12/21/2006 12:08:00 PM

How do I remove Ruby 1.8.5 from linux? I have built it from source.

David Vallner

Citát Christopher Latif <christopherl@bredband.net>:

> How do I remove Ruby 1.8.5 from linux? I have built it from source.

With Great Difficulty (tm).

If the build system supports it, you could try "make uninstall" in the source
directory.

Barring that, manually remove anything that seems ruby-related from
/usr/local/.

And in the future, use something like GNU stow for source installs if you plan
to uninstall them.

David Vallner

Simon Strandgaard

On 12/21/06, Christopher Latif <christopherl@bredband.net> wrote:
> How do I remove Ruby 1.8.5 from linux? I have built it from source.

I don't know how to remove ruby. However I just want to share a
great tool with you that helps avoiding just this situation.
http://www.gnu.org/soft...

the installation procedure is slightly longer when installing,
but easy when uninstalling.

this is the typical install procedure
prompt> cd ~/stow
prompt> mkdir leopard
prompt> cd ~/leopard/src
prompt> ./configure --prefix=/home/user/stow/leopard
prompt> make
prompt> make install
prompt> cd ~/stow
prompt> stow leopard

this is the uninstall procedure
prompt> cd ~/stow
prompt> stow -D vista

--
Simon Strandgaard
http://opc...

James Britt

Simon Strandgaard wrote:
> On 12/21/06, Christopher Latif <christopherl@bredband.net> wrote:
>> How do I remove Ruby 1.8.5 from linux? I have built it from source.
>
> I don't know how to remove ruby. However I just want to share a
> great tool with you that helps avoiding just this situation.
> http://www.gnu.org/soft...

This is very slick. Thanks for the tip.

> the installation procedure is slightly longer when installing,
> but easy when uninstalling.
>
> this is the typical install procedure
> prompt> cd ~/stow
> prompt> mkdir leopard
> prompt> cd ~/leopard/src
> prompt> ./configure --prefix=/home/user/stow/leopard
> prompt> make
> prompt> make install
> prompt> cd ~/stow
> prompt> stow leopard
>

> this is the uninstall procedure
> prompt> cd ~/stow
> prompt> stow -D vista

Man, people just never let up. Even at Christmas!

:)

--
James Britt

"A principle or axiom is of no value without the rules for applying it."
- Len Bullard

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Simon Strandgaard wrote:
> On 12/21/06, Christopher Latif <christopherl@bredband.net> wrote:
>> How do I remove Ruby 1.8.5 from linux? I have built it from source.
>
> I don't know how to remove ruby. However I just want to share a
> great tool with you that helps avoiding just this situation.
> http://www.gnu.org/soft...
>

> the installation procedure is slightly longer when installing,
> but easy when uninstalling.
>
> this is the typical install procedure
> prompt> cd ~/stow
> prompt> mkdir leopard
> prompt> cd ~/leopard/src
> prompt> ./configure --prefix=/home/user/stow/leopard
> prompt> make
> prompt> make install
> prompt> cd ~/stow
> prompt> stow leopard
>

> this is the uninstall procedure
> prompt> cd ~/stow
> prompt> stow -D vista

Nearly all Linux distributions -- at least the widely used ones -- have
package management systems, and nearly all of them include a way to get
the most recent Ruby from a package repository. So it should be simple.
I've never heard of (or needed) stow.

By the way, at least the three major package management systems --
yum(Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS and some others), apt(Debian/Ubuntu and
others) and Portage(Gentoo) have source packages in the repository, and
installing a package from source is as easy (but takes longer) as
installing a pre-compiled binary. So the only reason for a direct
download and install of Ruby 1.8.5 is if you actually want to hack upon
Ruby itself.

http://borasky-research.blo...

Rob Sanheim

On 12/21/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> Simon Strandgaard wrote:
> > On 12/21/06, Christopher Latif <christopherl@bredband.net> wrote:
> >> How do I remove Ruby 1.8.5 from linux? I have built it from source.
> >
> > I don't know how to remove ruby. However I just want to share a
> > great tool with you that helps avoiding just this situation.
> > http://www.gnu.org/soft...
> >

> > the installation procedure is slightly longer when installing,
> > but easy when uninstalling.
> >
> > this is the typical install procedure
> > prompt> cd ~/stow
> > prompt> mkdir leopard
> > prompt> cd ~/leopard/src
> > prompt> ./configure --prefix=/home/user/stow/leopard
> > prompt> make
> > prompt> make install
> > prompt> cd ~/stow
> > prompt> stow leopard
> >

> > this is the uninstall procedure
> > prompt> cd ~/stow
> > prompt> stow -D vista
> >
> Nearly all Linux distributions -- at least the widely used ones -- have
> package management systems, and nearly all of them include a way to get
> the most recent Ruby from a package repository. So it should be simple.
> I've never heard of (or needed) stow.
>
> By the way, at least the three major package management systems --
> yum(Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS and some others), apt(Debian/Ubuntu and
> others) and Portage(Gentoo) have source packages in the repository, and
> installing a package from source is as easy (but takes longer) as
> installing a pre-compiled binary. So the only reason for a direct
> download and install of Ruby 1.8.5 is if you actually want to hack upon
> Ruby itself.

Well, that and you want to use the latest security release that came
out a couple weeks ago - and it hasn't made it into the package
repositories yet.

- Rob

Benjamin Billian

Rob Sanheim wrote:
> On 12/21/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
>> Simon Strandgaard wrote:
>> By the way, at least the three major package management systems --
>> yum(Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS and some others), apt(Debian/Ubuntu and
>> others) and Portage(Gentoo) have source packages in the repository, and
>> installing a package from source is as easy (but takes longer) as
>> installing a pre-compiled binary. So the only reason for a direct
>> download and install of Ruby 1.8.5 is if you actually want to hack upon
>> Ruby itself.
>
> Well, that and you want to use the latest security release that came
> out a couple weeks ago - and it hasn't made it into the package
> repositories yet.

If that happens, I want to switch my distro to something more secure.
SCNR ;)

Benjamin

David Vallner

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> So the only reason for a direct
> download and install of Ruby 1.8.5 is if you actually want to hack upon
> Ruby itself.

Or avoid the searing pain that is Debian deconstructivism.

David Vallner

Vincent Fourmond

David Vallner wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> So the only reason for a direct
>> download and install of Ruby 1.8.5 is if you actually want to hack upon
>> Ruby itself.
>>

> Or avoid the searing pain that is Debian deconstructivism.

Could you state precisely what you mean under this ? As I participate
to debian developing, there might be things I could help with in here ;-)...

Vince

--
Vincent Fourmond, PhD student
http://vincent.fourmon...

Wilson Bilkovich

On 12/21/06, Vincent Fourmond <vincent.fourmond@9online.fr> wrote:
> David Vallner wrote:
> > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> >> So the only reason for a direct
> >> download and install of Ruby 1.8.5 is if you actually want to hack upon
> >> Ruby itself.
> >>

> > Or avoid the searing pain that is Debian deconstructivism.
>
> Could you state precisely what you mean under this ? As I participate
> to debian developing, there might be things I could help with in here ;-)

:~$ dpkg -l |grep ruby
ii libdbm-ruby1.8 1.8.4-5 DBM interface for Ruby 1.8
ii libgdbm-ruby1. 1.8.4-5 GDBM interface for Ruby 1.8
ii libruby1.8 1.8.4-5 Libraries necessary to run Ruby 1.8
ii libruby1.8-dbg 1.8.4-5 Debugging symbols for Ruby 1.8
ii libtcltk-ruby1 1.8.4-5 Tcl/Tk interface for Ruby 1.8
ii ruby1.8 1.8.4-5 Interpreter of object-oriented scripting lan
ii ruby1.8-dev 1.8.4-5 Header files for compiling extension modules
ii ruby1.8-elisp 1.8.4-5 ruby-mode for Emacsen
ii ruby1.8-exampl 1.8.4-5 Examples for Ruby 1.8

Vincent Fourmond

Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
>> Could you state precisely what you mean under this ? As I participate
>> to debian developing, there might be things I could help with in here ;-)
>
> :~$ dpkg -l |grep ruby
> ii libdbm-ruby1.8 1.8.4-5 DBM interface for Ruby 1.8
> ii libgdbm-ruby1. 1.8.4-5 GDBM interface for Ruby 1.8
> ii libruby1.8 1.8.4-5 Libraries necessary to run Ruby 1.8
> ii libruby1.8-dbg 1.8.4-5 Debugging symbols for Ruby 1.8
> ii libtcltk-ruby1 1.8.4-5 Tcl/Tk interface for Ruby 1.8
> ii ruby1.8 1.8.4-5 Interpreter of object-oriented
> scripting lan
> ii ruby1.8-dev 1.8.4-5 Header files for compiling extension
> modules
> ii ruby1.8-elisp 1.8.4-5 ruby-mode for Emacsen
> ii ruby1.8-exampl 1.8.4-5 Examples for Ruby 1.8

I see your point, but for instance, you wouldn't want to pull in
database dependencies when you don't actually need any databases, or
even worse tk/x.org dependencies for a purely remote server... Do you
know a better way to do so ?

Vince