openssl on Red Hat not installed

Hueen Hueen

12/20/2006 7:25:00 PM

So I'm one of the unlucky ones that don't have openssl properly
installed in ruby. I am running red hat. Some info:

`require': no such file to load -- openssl (LoadError)

[root@lnn607 ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i openssl
pyOpenSSL-0.6-1.p23
xmlsec1-openssl-1.2.6-3
openssl-0.9.7a-43.14

I tried to install all kinds veriations of package names with yum, such
as libopenssl, openssl-src, ruby-openssl, ruby-libopenssl etc etc, nut
couldnt find any.
I then downloaded the libopenssl-ruby source files (which actually are
for debian i think) and copied the .rb files into
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8, but then it complained that it cannot find
openssl.so.
So how do I get the openssl source files installed so that it works in
ruby?

Thanks for any help!

Uma Geller

> I then downloaded the libopenssl-ruby source files (which actually are
> for debian i think) and copied the .rb files into
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8, but then it complained that it cannot find
> openssl.so.
> So how do I get the openssl source files installed so that it works in
> ruby?

Look for a package named openssl-dev or openssl-devel
and install them.
These contain the necessary C header files for Ruby to link against
the Openssl libs.
Hope that helps,

UG
---
Uma Geller
http://umageller.wor...

Parragh Szabolcs

Hueen Hueen írta:
> So I'm one of the unlucky ones that don't have openssl properly
> installed in ruby. I am running red hat. Some info:

I have a similar problem on my Ubuntu Dapper box:

>> require 'openssl'
=> false

despite I have all the ruby libs and libssl stuff installed.

Szab

Uma Geller

> I have a similar problem on my Ubuntu Dapper box:
> >> require 'openssl'
> => false

do you have rubygems installed ?
I think I recall the default behavior of require would change when
using rubygems on certain platforms.

---
Uma Geller
http://umageller.wor...

Hueen Hueen

Parragh Szabolcs wrote:
> Hueen Hueen �rta:
>> So I'm one of the unlucky ones that don't have openssl properly
>> installed in ruby. I am running red hat. Some info:
>>
> I have a similar problem on my Ubuntu Dapper box:
>
> >> require 'openssl'
> => false
>
> despite I have all the ruby libs and libssl stuff installed.
>
> Szab

have you tried
sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby
?

Tim Hunter

Parragh Szabolcs wrote:
> Hueen Hueen írta:
>> So I'm one of the unlucky ones that don't have openssl properly
>> installed in ruby. I am running red hat. Some info:
>>
> I have a similar problem on my Ubuntu Dapper box:
>
> >> require 'openssl'
> => false
>
> despite I have all the ruby libs and libssl stuff installed.
>
> Szab

This clearly needs to be an FAQ: When require returns false that means
that the required library has already been loaded. It does not mean that
require failed. When require fails it raises LoadError.

Parragh Szabolcs

Uma Geller írta:
>> I have a similar problem on my Ubuntu Dapper box:
>> => false
>
> do you have rubygems installed ?
> I think I recall the default behavior of require would change when
> using rubygems on certain platforms.
Yes, but ruby openssl was installed not by gem but by the
libopenssl-ruby package.

--
Parragh Szabolcs
e-mail: parragh@dayka.hu

Parragh Szabolcs

Timothy Hunter írta:
> This clearly needs to be an FAQ: When require returns false that means
> that the required library has already been loaded. It does not mean
> that require failed. When require fails it raises LoadError.

Oh, geez, sure -- sorry, it's way too late too work!:-)

--
Parragh Szabolcs
e-mail: parragh@dayka.hu

Hueen Hueen

Uma Geller wrote:
> Look for a package named openssl-dev or openssl-devel
> and install them.
> These contain the necessary C header files for Ruby to link against
> the Openssl libs.

almost there.

yum did find openssl-devel, but could not satisfy the zlib dependancy.
needs 1.1.4, my installed version was too new. rpm -i --force did the
job and openssl-devel installed successfully.
on the ruby side i have to do everything manually. copied the openssl
ruby files as well as openssl.so into /usr/lib/ruby/1.8

now i can start my script, but at some point it fails:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:66:in `closed?': undefined
method `closed?' for #<OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket:0xb7e35474>
(NoMethodError)

does that mean my net/protocol.rb is outdated? yum tells me i have the
newest ruby version installed

any ideas?

Hueen Hueen

err.. why do i have everything twice at
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8
AND
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/

? is it supposed to be like this?

Hueen Hueen

Robert Dober wrote:
> On 12/20/06, Robert Dober <robert.dober@gmail.com> wrote:
>> incomplete ideas."
>>
>> - Alan Kay
>

> Sorry posts just crossed each other, you are beyond the point where this
> thread will be helpfull now.
> My lucky day :(
> Sorry for the noise

> "The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution
> hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into
> bad
> defacto standards for unsophisticated buyers using poor adaptations of
> incomplete ideas."
>
> - Alan Kay

? what thread, link please?