ruby-shout installation issue

Vivek

I am trying to install ruby-shout(used to serve audio to icecast
server) .I have libshout,vorbis and liboggz
But I get this error

ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-shout-2.1 fo
r inspection.

Results logged to
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-shout-2.1/ext/gem_make.out

I am not sure what the "failed to build native extension " means.
Any ideas
vivek

3 Answers

Jano Svitok

On 12/19/06, Vivek <krishna.vivek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install ruby-shout(used to serve audio to icecast
> server) .I have libshout,vorbis and liboggz
> But I get this error
>
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> Gem files will remain installed in
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-shout-2.1 fo
> r inspection.
>

> Results logged to
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-shout-2.1/ext/gem_make.out
>
> I am not sure what the "failed to build native extension " means.
> Any ideas
> vivek

The gem you are trying to install contains a piece of C code that
needs to be compiled.
You are missing either the compile environment (gcc, make, etc., if on
debian/ubuntu: apt-get install build-essential) or some of the
libraries the extension is dependent on (maybe you need to install the
dev package of the library - with headers and such).
Or you are experiencing another error. See the log for details.

Suraj Kurapati

Vivek wrote:
> I am trying to install ruby-shout(used to serve audio to icecast
> server) .I have libshout,vorbis and liboggz
> But I get this error
>
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> Gem files will remain installed in
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-shout-2.1 fo
> r inspection.
>

> Results logged to
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-shout-2.1/ext/gem_make.out
>
> I am not sure what the "failed to build native extension " means.

That means the ruby-shout gem comes with some C code. The gem
installation was trying to compile that C code but the compilation
failed for some reason. That reason is shown in that gem_make.out log
file.

Usually the problem is that you're missing some C libraries. In some
GNU/Linux distros, it's common that you're missing a C compiler
altogether because it's not installed by default.

Vivek

Hi

> That means the ruby-shout gem comes with some C code. The gem
> installation was trying to compile that C code but the compilation
> failed for some reason. That reason is shown in that gem_make.out log
> file.
>
> Usually the problem is that you're missing some C libraries. In some
> GNU/Linux distros, it's common that you're missing a C compiler
> altogether because it's not installed by default.
>
> --
I checked it and found that the the message says it cant find libshout
library..but then i installed the libshout library and still gives same
error. however libshout is installed in ./usr/lib and
/usr/local/lib.could this be a problem?

thanks