where have all the experienced users gone?

Trans

12/19/2006 2:51:00 AM

seems like there's been a steady drop off in experienced ruby users on
the list. is it me or has there really been some sort of migration
away?

t.

56 Answers

Uma Geller

> seems like there's been a steady drop off in experienced ruby users on
> the list. is it me or has there really been some sort of migration
> away?

maybe they're doing their Xmas shopping :-)
it's not strange to be busy these days, you know.

best,
UG
---
Uma Geller
http://umageller.wor...

Devin Mullins

Trans wrote:
> seems like there's been a steady drop off in experienced ruby users on
> the list. is it me or has there really been some sort of migration
> away?
>
> t.

*insert Monster Mash casette*

HELP VAMPIRES! OOOOOH!

Uma Geller

> *insert Monster Mash casette*
>
> HELP VAMPIRES! OOOOOH!

Coincidentally, Jim Weirich's onestepback.org seems to be down right now.
Can you confirm this ?

I would be scared if this were Halloween.
brrrrrrr.... chills

---
Uma Geller
http://umageller.wor...

Eric Hodel

On Dec 18, 2006, at 18:50, Trans wrote:

> seems like there's been a steady drop off in experienced ruby users on
> the list. is it me or has there really been some sort of migration
> away?

In the back-channels I've heard the following reasons for why long-
time readers of ruby-talk cut back:

a) signal:noise ratio too low.
b) belligerent newbies.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Ross Bamford

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 02:50:51 -0000, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:

> seems like there's been a steady drop off in experienced ruby users on
> the list. is it me or has there really been some sort of migration
> away?

Personally, I have cut back on reading the list lately, partly because my
unborn daughter keeps threatening to emerge two months early, but also
because:

* There's a lot of religious ranting going on these days.
* I see too many echoes of comp.lang.elsewhere in certain responses.
* A lot of smart people whose posts I found most interesting no longer
seem to post.

I know that a lot of people are still on irc but I a) don't have the time
and b) say the dumbest things when I don't get enough time to think :)

--
Ross Bamford - rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk

Jeremy Wells

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2006, at 18:50, Trans wrote:
>
>> seems like there's been a steady drop off in experienced ruby users on
>> the list. is it me or has there really been some sort of migration
>> away?
>
> In the back-channels I've heard the following reasons for why
> long-time readers of ruby-talk cut back:
>
> a) signal:noise ratio too low.
> b) belligerent newbies.

I think that it's not just newbies, but newbies asking insensible
questions, normally involving excel. There's also a lot of postings
along the lines of "I've written this code, can you write it better for
me" which is fair enough for an interesting bit of code, but normally
the response should be, without sounding rude, "read the documentation
or buy a ruby book". Newbies want answers often before working out what
the question should be. And I'd consider myself a newbie on the way to
intermedion, but I'd never post a question like "ruby.exe doesn't work
on my windows xp! tell me what to do!?", or from a couple of pages down
the list "I need to save an Excel Spreadsheet with Ruby. I used the Save
AND SaveAs methods..." (What is it with excel? I've got no particular
problem with it, but it seems to be a magnet for the ignorant).

Jeremy

Jeremy McAnally

I think it's also important that we all realize that we use mailing
lists for different things. Newbies use it to get help; many of them
are programming for the first time and don't understand a lot of the
concepts (and Ruby has some that are mind-boggling if you aren't used
to thinking like an OO programmer).

Many of us want to use the list to discuss interesting things, things
that are "advanced," or bounce ideas off of another experienced
Rubyist.

This is why many times there will be "xxx-talk" (or "xxx-users") and
"xxx-newbie" lists. I think perhaps Ruby has reached that "critical
mass" point where this split is in order (even though i'm sure this
has been discussed a number of times and decided against). If it
means getting some of our best and brightest back on the list, then I
see it as necessary.

Though, many would probably argue that "no experienced programmer
would visit the newbie list." Who wants an answer from another
newbie, right? Perhaps we should setup a "n00b taskforce" to monitor
that list and answer questions; just a few people to check in every
day. I would be willing to do it, if a few others would help me out.

To make this whole thing effective, though, the residents of this list
would have to be stringent about telling people to "take it to the
newbies" if their question is something that belongs there.

Just a thought.

--Jeremy

P.S. - It would also be mildly entertaining to have an auto-answer FAQ
bot that parsed the language of a message and if it could decently
figure out what they're saying, post an answer pointing to a
(currently non-existent) Ruby FAQ...

On 12/19/06, Robert Dober <robert.dober@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/06, Jeremy Wells <jwells@servalsystems.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Eric Hodel wrote:

> > > In the back-channels I've heard the following reasons for why
> > > long-time readers of ruby-talk cut back:
> > >
> > > a) signal:noise ratio too low.
> > > b) belligerent newbies.
> > >
> > I think that it's not just newbies, but newbies asking insensible
> > questions, normally involving excel. There's also a lot of postings
> > along the lines of "I've written this code, can you write it better for
> > me" which is fair enough for an interesting bit of code, but normally
> > the response should be, without sounding rude, "read the documentation
> > or buy a ruby book". Newbies want answers often before working out what
> > the question should be. And I'd consider myself a newbie on the way to
> > intermedion, but I'd never post a question like "ruby.exe doesn't work
> > on my windows xp! tell me what to do!?", or from a couple of pages down
> > the list "I need to save an Excel Spreadsheet with Ruby. I used the Save
> > AND SaveAs methods..." (What is it with excel? I've got no particular
> > problem with it, but it seems to be a magnet for the ignorant).
> >
> > Jeremy
> >

> Yup while whining I forgot to talk about the real reasons.
> You do have a good point, and maybe I am completely off but I still think a
> FAQ would get rid of some of the noise, there would be the classic themes
> * IDE
> * Slow or not slow
> * splash and some other very Rubyesque things
> * Meaning of #==, #equal? (yessss I am whining again)
> * What is true and what is not?
> * Receivers of messages as in x > 5
> NoMethodError: undefined method `>' for nil:NilClass,
> Q? But 5 is not nil, surely
> * Upcoming changes or at least links
> * Pitfalls like proc vs lambda
> * goto Rails, without being impolite, it should be a pointer not a "get out
> of here" ;)
>
> I do not have too much time and I do not think that I am qualified but
> maybe be just starting a FAQ somebody will hit it until it is a good one ( I
> know *some* stuff about Ruby after all), another idea is to include some
> really useful links, like where to look first in case of certain specific
> error categories and AGF, the Golden Rule for posting of course - like the
> old RTFM but politically correct ;)
> Ask Google First
>
> Just the same thoughts again.
>
> Robert
> --
> "The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution
> hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into bad
> defacto standards for unsophisticated buyers using poor adaptations of
> incomplete ideas."
>
> - Alan Kay

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Robert Dober wrote:
> Yup while whining I forgot to talk about the real reasons.
> You do have a good point, and maybe I am completely off but I still
> think a
> FAQ would get rid of some of the noise, there would be the classic themes
Isn't there a Ruby FAQ somewhere on the main Ruby home page?
> and AGF, the Golden Rule for posting of course - like the
> old RTFM but politically correct ;)
> Ask Google First
If you wish, that can be made politically incorrect:

AFG

or

STFW :)

http://borasky-research.blo...

Gregory Brown

On 12/18/06, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> seems like there's been a steady drop off in experienced ruby users on
> the list. is it me or has there really been some sort of migration
> away?

I think many people are hanging out in localized groups now, because
of the "Too Much Email" issue and also the shift in the feel of
RubyTalk due to the influx of new users.

I still see some great conversations here, but as someone who was for
a short time a RubyTalk addict, I normally only scan the list once a
day or so, and spend the rest of the time hanging on IRC channels /
mailing lists for projects i'm involved in / interested in and also
user groups. I suspect similar for other folks in the community [0]

I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily, but I can see where
you're coming from.

-greg

[0] http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/2006/11/the_joy_of_local_mailing_...

James Britt

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2006, at 18:50, Trans wrote:
>
>> seems like there's been a steady drop off in experienced ruby users on
>> the list. is it me or has there really been some sort of migration
>> away?
>
> In the back-channels I've heard the following reasons for why long-time
> readers of ruby-talk cut back:
>
> a) signal:noise ratio too low.
> b) belligerent newbies.

Agreed.

I've been marking all list mail as 'read' upon arrival so there is no
instant clue that there are new messages. I visually scan for certain
sender names or topic words, and have some filters to catch references
to a small set of keywords. Just in case.

But I don't bother trying to keep up or pitch in as I once did. I'm
sure I'm missing some interesting topics, but it's too tedious to wade
through "What is the best IDE?" , "What's wrong with my ajax?", "Why is
my model not validating?", and "Your opinion on [foo] is teh sux."

All in all, I'd rather just focus on writing, and writing about, Ruby.

(This started way before the holidays, too, so we can't blame Santa's
elves.)

--
James Britt

"Simplicity of the language is not what matters, but
simplicity of use."