Using gems on Windows without dependencies

S. Robert James

12/19/2006 1:46:00 AM

gem install GEMNAME -f seems to fail on Windows. That is, if you say
no to the dependency, it will refuse to install.

How can I install a gem without its dependnecy? (railsmachine depends
on mongrel_cluster which depends on the binary version of mongrel which
won't work on Windows. This is all a mistake, because it'll run fine
with the Win ver. also - but I can't get gem to install it!)

3 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Dec 18, 2006, at 17:50, S. Robert James wrote:

> gem install GEMNAME -f seems to fail on Windows. That is, if you say
> no to the dependency, it will refuse to install.

Did you file a bug?

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=575&group_id=126&f...

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

S. Robert James

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2006, at 17:50, S. Robert James wrote:
>
> > gem install GEMNAME -f seems to fail on Windows. That is, if you say
> > no to the dependency, it will refuse to install.
>
> Did you file a bug?

Done.

In the meantime, is there anyway to install it by hand?

Eric Hodel

On Dec 19, 2006, at 09:25, S. Robert James wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Dec 18, 2006, at 17:50, S. Robert James wrote:
>>
>>> gem install GEMNAME -f seems to fail on Windows. That is, if you
>>> say
>>> no to the dependency, it will refuse to install.
>>
>> Did you file a bug?
>
> Done.
>
> In the meantime, is there anyway to install it by hand?

Download the gem from rubyforge.org and install it. local
installations ignore dependencies. (Sorry for not mentioning that
earlier, but this way I got a bug to work on.)