Accessing Outlook Express .dbx mail files from ruby

Bill Kelly

All I'm really trying to do is export emails from Outlook Express
to a plain text file.

I wondered if there might be some Windows API that I could call
from ruby to accomplish this?

Thanks for any tips,

Regards,

Bill

2 Answers

Dave Burt

Bill Kelly wrote:
> All I'm really trying to do is export emails from Outlook Express
> to a plain text file.
>
> I wondered if there might be some Windows API that I could call
> from ruby to accomplish this?

First, IIRC you can easily export emails to plain text files using
Outlook Express itself. You can drag a emails from OE to a windows
explorer window to export as .eml files.

If you want to do something else and want to automate it, here are some
resources that could help:

Info on the file format and related C++ source code:
http://oedb...

PHP implementation of a reader class:
http://www.weberdev.com/get_example...

Cheers,
Dave

Bill Kelly

From: "Dave Burt" <dave@burt.id.au>

> Bill Kelly wrote:
>> All I'm really trying to do is export emails from Outlook Express
>> to a plain text file.
>>
>> I wondered if there might be some Windows API that I could call
>> from ruby to accomplish this?
>
> First, IIRC you can easily export emails to plain text files using
> Outlook Express itself. You can drag a emails from OE to a windows
> explorer window to export as .eml files.

Thanks much for this and the links on the file format!

Now to use ruby to process the emails... :)

Regards,

Bill