[ANN] Rails Book 2nd Edition now shipping

Andrew Hunt

12/18/2006 3:17:00 PM

It's been a long time coming, but we're very pleased to announced
that Agile Web Development with Rails, 2nd Edition, is now in stock
and shipping. Get 'em while they're hot :-)

For details, please visit http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/ti...

The Rails community needs the most up-to-date information it can get.
So here's the Second Edition of the Jolt Award winning book that
shows you a new approach to web development:

* develop sophisticated web applications quickly and easily;
* use incremental and iterative development to create the web apps
that users want; and
* get to go home on time.

This is a substantial overhaul to the first edition. In this book
you'll find information on migrations, RJS templates, respond_to,
integration tests, and all the new ActiveRecord features (including
polymorphic associations, join models, and eager loading). And it
incorporates another year's worth of Rails best practices.

Available now from http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/ti.../

--------------------
Coming soon:

* Everyday Scripting in Ruby: For Teams, Testers, and You
* Release It! Design and Deploy Production-Ready Software

Recently released:

* Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great - #3 Editor's Pick on
Amazon.com!
* Google Web Toolkit: Taking the Pain out of Ajax
* Textmate: Power Editing for the Mac (Beta)
* Rails for Java Developers (Beta)

--------------------

Enjoy, and thanks for your continued support!

Andy and Dave
www.PragmaticProgrammer.com

5 Answers

Pat Maddox

Cool. Congrats guys. And thanks.

vasudevram

Andrew Hunt wrote:
> It's been a long time coming, but we're very pleased to announced
> that Agile Web Development with Rails, 2nd Edition, is now in stock
> and shipping. Get 'em while they're hot :-)
>
> For details, please visit http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/ti...
Enjoy, and thanks for your continued support!

> Andy and Dave
> www.PragmaticProgrammer.com

Great! Looking forward to getting my copy. Is it being released in an
Indian edition at the same time or later? I saw that some of your books
are now being sold in Indian editions as well, via Shroff Publishers.

Vasudev Ram
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dancing Bison Enterprises
http://www.dancin...
http://dancingbison.bl...
http://jugad.livej...
http://sourceforge.net/proje...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat Maddox

Got mine in the mail today, looks good :)

steadyeddy4u

On Apr 16, 8:25 am, "Fred Brown" <fredbr...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> "Klaus Schadenfreude" <klausschadenfre...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >http://online.wsj.com/article/APd3cd555d79604d648cd8bb5f4f2...
>
> > ALBANY, N.Y.   A man from western New York misidentified by
> > authorities as a mental health risk under the state's new gun law
> > retrieved his seven handguns on Monday.
>
> > Attorneys for David A. Lewis, a college librarian from Amherst, said
> > he retrieved the firearms from local police after having turned them
> > in as directed by a recent letter from the Erie County clerk.
>
> > Clerk Chris Jacobs said he only followed information sent to him by
> > state police, after forwarding it to the judge who handles handgun
> > permits. Troopers said their county notification first required county
> > officials to follow up in determining if Lewis was someone who posed a
> > threat to himself or others.
>
> > The state's new gun law requires mental health professionals to tell
> > authorities of a patient likely to hurt someone, starting a process
> > meant to determine if their guns should be surrendered.
>
> > "They sent this letter requiring he turn in his firearms," attorney
> > James Tresmond said. The information was specific, including Lewis'
> > name, address and permit number, he said.
>
> > Jacobs told The Buffalo News that police sent him an actual copy of
> > the permit for the Amherst man, though the person they were concerned
> > about was from another county. The clerk forwarded the information to
> > State Supreme Court Justice M. William Boller. The judge in turn
> > suspended the 35-year-old Amherst resident's handgun permit.
>
> > State Police Superintendent Joseph D'Amico said Monday it was a
> > misidentification based on a common name, and that troopers sent
> > notifications to both Erie and Orange counties. That followed a mental
> > health report and state review that identified two men with that name
> > and approximate age who had permits. The report actually concerned a
> > third man in another county who did not have a gun, he said.
>
> Looks like due process took a back seat.

Looks like a database problem. Which is not surprising considering the
government is run by a bunch of dumbasses.

Wayne

On 16 Apr 2013 10:25:01 -0500, "Fred Brown" <fredbrown@nowhere.com>
wrote:
> "Klaus Schadenfreude" <klausschadenfreude@yahoo.com> wrote in
message

http://online.wsj.com/article/APd3cd555d79604d648cd8bb5f4f2...

> > ALBANY, N.Y. A man from western New York misidentified by
> > authorities as a mental health risk under the state's new gun law
> > retrieved his seven handguns on Monday.
> >
> > Attorneys for David A. Lewis, a college librarian from Amherst,
said
> > he retrieved the firearms from local police after having turned
them
> > in as directed by a recent letter from the Erie County clerk.
> >
> > Clerk Chris Jacobs said he only followed information sent to him
by
> > state police, after forwarding it to the judge who handles handgun
> > permits. Troopers said their county notification first required
county
> > officials to follow up in determining if Lewis was someone who
posed a
> > threat to himself or others.
> >
> > The state's new gun law requires mental health professionals to
tell
> > authorities of a patient likely to hurt someone, starting a
process
> > meant to determine if their guns should be surrendered.
> >
> > "They sent this letter requiring he turn in his firearms,"
attorney
> > James Tresmond said. The information was specific, including
Lewis'
> > name, address and permit number, he said.
> >
> > Jacobs told The Buffalo News that police sent him an actual copy
of
> > the permit for the Amherst man, though the person they were
concerned
> > about was from another county. The clerk forwarded the
information to
> > State Supreme Court Justice M. William Boller. The judge in turn
> > suspended the 35-year-old Amherst resident's handgun permit.
> >
> > State Police Superintendent Joseph D'Amico said Monday it was a
> > misidentification based on a common name, and that troopers sent
> > notifications to both Erie and Orange counties. That followed a
mental
> > health report and state review that identified two men with that
name
> > and approximate age who had permits. The report actually
concerned a
> > third man in another county who did not have a gun, he said.

> Looks like due process took a back seat.

Of course it did. All these laws are to short circuit due process.