[ANN] FXIrb 0.3.0 - the "it lives!" release

Martin DeMello

12/17/2006 11:05:00 PM

Thanks to Markus Prinz for filing a bug report and getting me to take
another look at the sadly neglected FXIrb. This is mostly a code
cleanup and bugfix release, though there are a couple of minor
features added.

From an end user perspective, the major feature of this release is
that multiline editing, wihch was broken rather badly in the previous
release, now works well and smoothly. (Though note that because of the
way fxirb interacts with irb, you can only edit a multiline command in
the history - the first time, it has to be entered line by line as
with normal irb). I hope to address this in a future release.

From a developer's pov, the code should be a lot pleasanter to read
through and (hopefully!) contribute to. I've also started the move
towards isolating the fox-specific code, so that I can add Gtk, Qt and
other GUI front ends in the future.

Request for contributions:
* This is the first release in a good while, and represents a fairly
extensive overhaul. Please to be hammering on it and submitting bug
reports
* Feature requests welcome
* I badly need someone to help with the Windows side of things. There
are a bunch of outstanding windows bugs that I can't fix.
* If anyone knows how to gracefully detect the installed version of
fox and select the correct 'require', do tell me.
* Also, there is a bunch of stuff in the TODO list :)

Changelog:

0.3 - Martin DeMello - 2006/12/17
* Code cleanups:
- Removed Fox:: from keynames
- added FxEvent#ctrl? and FxEvent#shift?
- moved FxText method calls outside the onKeyPress function
- changed a bunch of methods from camelcase to underscores
- public and private methods marked off clearly
* Bugfixes
- {Ctrl, Shift}-{backspace, del} not passed through to FxText
- Ctrl-D only exits if the current line is empty
- Lots of fixes for multiline input
* Features
- Unique history entries
- Ignore 'enter' on empty line

8 Answers

Martin DeMello

On 12/18/06, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to Markus Prinz for filing a bug report and getting me to take
> another look at the sadly neglected FXIrb. This is mostly a code
> cleanup and bugfix release, though there are a couple of minor
> features added.

Doh - http://rubyforge.org/proje...

Add automated rubyforge submit and mailing list announce to the TODO list :)

martin

Joel VanderWerf

Martin DeMello wrote:
> * If anyone knows how to gracefully detect the installed version of
> fox and select the correct 'require', do tell me.

how about this?

begin
require 'fox16'
rescue LoadError
require 'fox14'

Guillaume Marcais

Le 17 déc. 06, à 18:04, Martin DeMello a écrit :
> * Feature requests welcome

Can it use fri (fastri[1])? That would be great.

Guillaume.

[1] http://eigenclass.org/hiki...

Martin DeMello

On 12/18/06, Joel VanderWerf <vjoel@path.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Martin DeMello wrote:
> > * If anyone knows how to gracefully detect the installed version of
> > fox and select the correct 'require', do tell me.
>
> how about this?
>
> begin
> require 'fox16'
> rescue LoadError
> require 'fox14'
> end

With another fallback for fox12 too, I suppose. Yes, that should work
nicely. Thanks.

martin

Markus Prinz

Martin DeMello wrote:
> * Feature requests welcome

Do you think you could also publish it as a gem? It would make it easier
for me, as I wouldn't have to publish a new version of fxri each time
you release a new version of fxirb.

Greetings, Markus

Markus Prinz

Guillaume Marcais wrote:
> Can it use fri (fastri[1])? That would be great.

Hm, that would probably more fitting for fxri[0] than fxirb. I'll take a
look at it and maybe try to implement something over the Christmas holidays.

Greetings, Markus

[0] http://rubyforge.org/proj...

Guillaume Marcais

Le 18 déc. 06, à 11:36, Markus Prinz a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Guillaume Marcais wrote:
> > Can it use fri (fastri[1])? That would be great.
>
> Hm, that would probably more fitting for fxri[0] than fxirb. I'll take
> a look at it and maybe try to implement something over the Christmas
> holidays.

Ah! Yes. I got confused. But that would be great anyway :)

Thanks,
Guillaume.

> Greetings, Markus
>
> [0] http://rubyforge.org/proj...

Martin DeMello

On 12/18/06, Markus Prinz <markus.prinz@qsig.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Martin DeMello wrote:
> > * Feature requests welcome
>
> Do you think you could also publish it as a gem? It would make it easier
> for me, as I wouldn't have to publish a new version of fxri each time
> you release a new version of fxirb.

Good point. Will look into doing this within the next few days.

martin