dsl/library for text interaction?

Ceol

12/17/2006 6:37:00 AM

I've been doing a fair amount of work with Asterisk lately. It's got a
command-line interface that looks quite a bit like SMTP (and like lots of
other text-based send-a-line-and-get-a-response protocols).

Seems like there should be a generic library to build interfaces for these
sorts of things - is there? Some sort of DSL that helps you say things
like:

- the first thing on the line is the command "FOOBAR"
- it takes two required arguments, and one optional
- encode the required arguments using (base64/http/whatever)
- the response is one line starting with an integer result code
- when you get a response matching code X, execute a given block
- etc

- James Moore

3 Answers

Ara.T.Howard

James Gray

On Dec 17, 2006, at 12:36 AM, James Moore wrote:

> I've been doing a fair amount of work with Asterisk lately. It's
> got a
> command-line interface that looks quite a bit like SMTP (and like
> lots of
> other text-based send-a-line-and-get-a-response protocols).
>
> Seems like there should be a generic library to build interfaces
> for these
> sorts of things - is there? Some sort of DSL that helps you say
> things
> like:
>
> - the first thing on the line is the command "FOOBAR"
> - it takes two required arguments, and one optional
> - encode the required arguments using (base64/http/whatever)
> - the response is one line starting with an integer result code
> - when you get a response matching code X, execute a given block
> - etc

Perhaps you could use a parser generator?

http://rubyforge.org/proje...

James Edward Gray II

Gregory Brown

On 12/17/06, James Moore <banshee@banshee.com> wrote:

> - the first thing on the line is the command "FOOBAR"
> - it takes two required arguments, and one optional
> - encode the required arguments using (base64/http/whatever)
> - the response is one line starting with an integer result code
> - when you get a response matching code X, execute a given block
> - etc

If the data is regular enough, RedNails might do the trick
http://rednails.ruby...