how to install ERb?

Malamute Jute

12/16/2006 12:59:00 PM

hi everyone. im reading and following the ruby for rails book and im on
ERb now. but when i run erb, i get command not found error. so i guess
its not installed by default with ruby?

how do i install it? and where do i get it? many thanks.

Chad Fowler

On 12/16/06, Malamute Jute <mutedev@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> hi everyone. im reading and following the ruby for rails book and im on
> ERb now. but when i run erb, i get command not found error. so i guess
> its not installed by default with ruby?
>
> how do i install it? and where do i get it? many thanks.

It's typically installed with the standard Ruby distribution. If
you're using a Linux system with split up Ruby packages, you may find
it in the list of additional packages to be installed.

Chad

Malamute Jute

Chad Fowler wrote:
> It's typically installed with the standard Ruby distribution. If
> you're using a Linux system with split up Ruby packages, you may find
> it in the list of additional packages to be installed.
>
> Chad

Actually i checked the synaptic (im using edgy eft) and didnt find the
'erb'. i checked again and this time i searched for 'ruby'. now i see
eRuby. its installed now but i have to manually make erb symlink to
/usr/bin/erb1.8.

thanks chad. btw, i also have the rails recipes book and i hope i could
read it soon once im comfortable with rails/ruby. thanks again.

David Vallner

Malamute Jute wrote:
> Chad Fowler wrote:
>> It's typically installed with the standard Ruby distribution. If
>> you're using a Linux system with split up Ruby packages, you may find
>> it in the list of additional packages to be installed.
>>
>> Chad
>
> Actually i checked the synaptic (im using edgy eft) and didnt find the
> 'erb'. i checked again and this time i searched for 'ruby'. now i see
> eRuby. its installed now but i have to manually make erb symlink to
> /usr/bin/erb1.8.
>
> thanks chad. btw, i also have the rails recipes book and i hope i could
> read it soon once im comfortable with rails/ruby. thanks again.

Argh Debian deconstructivism. Isn't there a ticket to make a "full
distribution" metapackage for Ruby already? This always gets me on a new
Ubuntu install, for some reason irb and erb, and some of the standard
extensions aren't even recommended packages.

David Vallner

dblack

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Quoting dblack@wobblini.net:

> It is tiresome. I always recommend installing Ruby from source, on
> any machine where you can.

I'm starting to lean that way even on Gentoo, where it *is* installed from
source. :) I guess we're waiting for Curt, Austin and MicroSoft to get the
Visual C stuff straightened out to make this a reality on Windows. Any recent
updates on that front?

George

On 12/17/06, David Vallner <david@vallner.net> wrote:
> Argh Debian deconstructivism. Isn't there a ticket to make a "full
> distribution" metapackage for Ruby already? This always gets me on a new
> Ubuntu install, for some reason irb and erb, and some of the standard
> extensions aren't even recommended packages.

If this is still accurate, you could try this:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

But I think it's better to install ruby from source too.