Re: RubyForge offline

Tom Copeland

12/14/2006 7:28:00 PM

> RubyForge is offline; we're investigating it.

Back online now.

Yours,

Tom

26 Answers

Frank Berger

Kimba W Lion wrote:
> whiskynsplash <whiskynsplash@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> There appear to
>> be a certain number of sellers who will game the system by offering
>> an item at a low price, then cancel the order(s) under the guise of
>> being out of stock, and a short time afterwards offer the same item
>> at a higher price.
>
> This doesn't make any sense to me.
> Seller gains a sale by offering at a low price. This is not an
> auction, the seller established the price.
> Seller loses the sale intentionally.
> Seller then hopes to gain another sale by upping the price.
> In this economy?
> Huh?

Well, it was a conspiracy theory. You expect logic?

Matthew B. Tepper

whiskynsplash <whiskynsplash@yahoo.com> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in

> Oddly enough, the same thing happened to me yesterday. There appear to be
> a certain number of sellers who will game the system by offering an item
> at a low price, then cancel the order(s) under the guise of being out of
> stock, and a short time afterwards offer the same item at a higher price.
> Seller beaches_entertainment did that to me. However, the Amazon rep
> seems quite cooperative and I got a $10 certificate out of it.

Curiously, that's exactly what has happened. I finally heard from the
vendor, who said: "This item had been water damaged and stained. This item
is no longer available for sale."

And yet, they're now offering another copy of the same item at a much higher
price. Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for the $10 gift certificate.

--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/...

Matthew B. Tepper

Kimba W Lion <norepliesbyemail@norepliesbyemail.invalid> appears to have

> whiskynsplash <whiskynsplash@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> There appear to be a certain number of sellers who will game the system
>> by offering an item at a low price, then cancel the order(s) under the
>> guise of being out of stock, and a short time afterwards offer the same
>> item at a higher price.
>
> This doesn't make any sense to me.
> Seller gains a sale by offering at a low price. This is not an auction,
> the seller established the price.
> Seller loses the sale intentionally.
> Seller then hopes to gain another sale by upping the price.
> In this economy?
> Huh?

In the worst cases, that sort of thing is called "bait and switch."

--

Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> Kimba W Lion <norepliesbyemail@norepliesbyemail.invalid> appears to
> have caused the following letters to be typed in
>
>> whiskynsplash <whiskynsplash@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There appear to be a certain number of sellers who will game the
>>> system by offering an item at a low price, then cancel the order(s)
>>> under the guise of being out of stock, and a short time afterwards
>>> offer the same item at a higher price.
>>
>> This doesn't make any sense to me.
>> Seller gains a sale by offering at a low price. This is not an
>> auction, the seller established the price.
>> Seller loses the sale intentionally.
>> Seller then hopes to gain another sale by upping the price.
>> In this economy?
>> Huh?
>
> In the worst cases, that sort of thing is called "bait and switch."

This isn't anything like bait and switch.

whiskynsplash

On May 18, 3:39 pm, "Frank Berger" <frankdber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> > Kimba W Lion <norepliesbyem...@norepliesbyemail.invalid> appears to
> > have caused the following letters to be typed in

> >> This doesn't make any sense to me.
> >> Seller gains a sale by offering at a low price. This is not an
> >> auction, the seller established the price.
> >> Seller loses the sale intentionally.
> >> Seller then hopes to gain another sale by upping the price.
> >> In this economy?
> >> Huh?
>
> > In the worst cases, that sort of thing is called "bait and switch."
>
> This isn't anything like bait and switch.- Hide quoted text -

Here's what's going on you moron. Buyers' Amazon wishlists are private
and cannot be seen by the sellers. However sellers keep track of other
sellers' prices and what Amazon itself sells the item for (almost
always higher, but with free shipping). Classical music recordings
which have a low turnover fluctuate quite a bit in price owing to
Amazon's pricing algorithms. All the big sellers will adjust their
prices amazingly quickly to within a few cents of each other when one
of them changes. It can be quite useful to a seller to know how many
buyers there are who are seriously interested in an item. Hence the
overnight drop in price, the flood (or trickle) of orders, followed by
the rise in price.

It's known as Price Discovery -- something I would have thought a self-
described fan of the free market would be aware of.

William Sommerwerck

> ...sellers keep track of other sellers' prices and what Amazon
> itself sells the item for (almost always higher, but with "free"
> shipping). Classical music recordings which have a low turnover
> fluctuate quite a bit in price owing to Amazon's pricing algorithms.
> All the big sellers will adjust their prices amazingly quickly to
> within a few cents of each other when one of them changes.

A little over a week ago I ordered the "Silverado" Blu-ray from a British
dealer. When I put it in my Want List, it was about $20. When I went to
order the next day, it was $13 and change. When I sat down yesterday to
write a review, the same company was selling it for $27, and another had it
for over $60. By the time I'd finished the review, the latter company's
listing had disappeared, while a third company had shown up for $13.50.

Basic rule... If you don't see a price you like, check back every hour or
two. You might find just what you're looking for.

Frank Berger

whiskynsplash wrote:
> On May 18, 3:39 pm, "Frank Berger" <frankdber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
>>> Kimba W Lion <norepliesbyem...@norepliesbyemail.invalid> appears to
>>> have caused the following letters to be typed in

>>> In the worst cases, that sort of thing is called "bait and switch."
>>
>> This isn't anything like bait and switch.- Hide quoted text -

> Here's what's going on you moron. Buyers' Amazon wishlists are private
> and cannot be seen by the sellers. However sellers keep track of other
> sellers' prices and what Amazon itself sells the item for (almost
> always higher, but with free shipping). Classical music recordings
> which have a low turnover fluctuate quite a bit in price owing to
> Amazon's pricing algorithms. All the big sellers will adjust their
> prices amazingly quickly to within a few cents of each other when one
> of them changes. It can be quite useful to a seller to know how many
> buyers there are who are seriously interested in an item. Hence the
> overnight drop in price, the flood (or trickle) of orders, followed by
> the rise in price.
>
> It's known as Price Discovery -- something I would have thought a
> self- described fan of the free market would be aware of.

What does that have to do with my thinking it's not like bait and switch?
Being a moron, I need it explained.
After you do, you will be plonked.

laraine

On May 18, 3:02 pm, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:
> whiskynsplash <whiskynspl...@yahoo.com> appears to have caused the
> following letters to be typed innews:c1e224ca-e626-4626-b895-ad7fdf50bc8e@n33g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Oddly enough, the same thing happened to me yesterday. There appear to be
> > a certain number of sellers who will game the system by offering an item
> > at a low price, then cancel the order(s) under the guise of being out of
> > stock, and a short time afterwards offer the same item at a higher price.
> > Seller beaches_entertainment did that to me. However, the Amazon rep
> > seems quite cooperative and I got a $10 certificate out of it.
>
> Curiously, that's exactly what has happened.  I finally heard from the
> vendor, who said:  "This item had been water damaged and stained. This item
> is no longer available for sale."
>
> And yet, they're now offering another copy of the same item at a much higher
> price.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for the $10 gift certificate.
>
> --
> Matthew B. Tepper:  WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
> Read about "Proty" here:http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/...
> To write to me, do for my address what Androcles did for the lion
> Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers.

Ah, I get the bait and switch now.
(Assuming they were dishonest,) they
were hoping that after you were baited
with the lower price, you'd want the item
so much that you'd take the one with the
higher price (which might be the same one,
not really damaged at all)..

Wonder what they'd say if you offered to
buy the damaged one anyway at the lower
or a renegotiated price. Of course, you
could end up with a badly stained book
if it had been a fair deal.

C.

Kimba W Lion

whiskynsplash <whiskynsplash@yahoo.com> wrote:

>All the big sellers will adjust their
>prices amazingly quickly to within a few cents of each other when one
>of them changes.

They use software that tracks the low price of an item, then adjusts their
price so _they'll_ be the low one.

>It can be quite useful to a seller to know how many
>buyers there are who are seriously interested in an item. Hence the
>overnight drop in price, the flood (or trickle) of orders, followed by
>the rise in price.

Still doesn't make sense. I think Frank is right, this is on the level of a
conspiracy theory.

Matthew B. Tepper

whiskynsplash <whiskynsplash@yahoo.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:76fe6be9-ea96-46b5-98b9-
16cc6ab9b4aa@l5g2000vbo.googlegroups.com:

> Classical music recordings which have a low turnover fluctuate quite a bit
> in price owing to Amazon's pricing algorithms.

That may be so, but the item in question in this instance was a BOOK.