SVG Canvas

Steven Quinones-Colon

12/13/2006 5:34:00 PM

I've been looking for a couple of days now and I can't find a library
for svg graphics with a canvas object so I can make a financial
charting application(stand alone, not web based), is there such a
thing? maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Best regards,
Steven

7 Answers

Paul Lutus

Steven Quinones-Colon wrote:

> I've been looking for a couple of days now and I can't find a library
> for svg graphics with a canvas object so I can make a financial
> charting application(stand alone, not web based), is there such a
> thing? maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Most of the available GUI libraries support graphics. I have been using the
Qt library for this sort of thing, and the graphics are quite acceptable:

http://localhost/ruby/graphinity/index.html

http://localhost/ruby/gravity/index.html

I have only used the Qt library, there are several others, most of them
offer this sort of graphic library. It's not necessary to create a GUI in
order to use the graphic libraries they offer.

If you were planning to create a GUI to go along with your graphic images,
then this approach makes even more sense.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

Simon Strandgaard

On 12/13/06, Paul Lutus <nospam@nosite.zzz> wrote:
> Steven Quinones-Colon wrote:
>
> > I've been looking for a couple of days now and I can't find a library
> > for svg graphics with a canvas object so I can make a financial
> > charting application(stand alone, not web based), is there such a
> > thing? maybe I'm missing something obvious.
>
> Most of the available GUI libraries support graphics. I have been using the
> Qt library for this sort of thing, and the graphics are quite acceptable:
[snip]

http://www.arachnoid.com/ruby/graphinity/...
http://vww.arachnoid.com/ruby/gravity/...

--
Simon Strandgaard

Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov

http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/r...
--
Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov
please send all personal mail to
me at julik.nl

Paul Lutus

Simon Strandgaard wrote:

> On 12/13/06, Paul Lutus <nospam@nosite.zzz> wrote:
>> Steven Quinones-Colon wrote:
>>
>> > I've been looking for a couple of days now and I can't find a library
>> > for svg graphics with a canvas object so I can make a financial
>> > charting application(stand alone, not web based), is there such a
>> > thing? maybe I'm missing something obvious.
>>
>> Most of the available GUI libraries support graphics. I have been using
>> the Qt library for this sort of thing, and the graphics are quite
>> acceptable:
> [snip]
>

> http://www.ara.../ruby/graphinity/...
> http://vww.arachnoid.com/ruby/gravity/...

Thank you -- I managed to overlook the URL content as I collected the data
locally.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

Pete Yandell

On 14/12/2006, at 4:33 AM, Steven Quinones-Colon wrote:

> I've been looking for a couple of days now and I can't find a library
> for svg graphics with a canvas object so I can make a financial
> charting application(stand alone, not web based), is there such a
> thing? maybe I'm missing something obvious.
> Best regards,
> Steven

I haven't tried it at all, but there are Ruby bindings for the Cairo
library (http://cairographics....) which should produce really
nice output.

Cheers,

Pete Yandell