Re: [ANN] - Bible 1.0.1 - A bible reference parsing and text retrieval tool

Daniel Schierbeck

12/12/2006 11:08:00 PM

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 07:36 +0900, Justin Bailey wrote:
> I'm proud to announce the release of Bible 1.0.1 [...]

It always did think the Bible needed an update :)

Cheers,
Daniel

7 Answers

Kenosis

Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 07:36 +0900, Justin Bailey wrote:
> > I'm proud to announce the release of Bible 1.0.1 [...]
>
> It always did think the Bible needed an update :)
>

> Cheers,
> Daniel
This is THE kindest usenet group I have EVER encountered. The things
Ruby enables us to accomplish will never cease to amaze me :)

Ken

"I'm a militant agnostic - I don't know and neither do you!" j/k

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Hi!

* Daniel Schierbeck, 12/13/2006 12:07 AM:
> It always did think the Bible needed an update :)

I recently was a bit Inet-abstinent.

The "Bible update" question is nothing to joke about because such an
update actually exists - The Holy Qur'an. At least this is what the
Qur'an says about itself. Unfortunately while the major message of
the Qur'an is interoperability (called "peace" in this context)
certain applications of it happen to strongly conflict with recent
security updates. There are also known issues implementing it on the
SoSaR(*) platform. One application used five years ago caused two
severe crashes that had negative effects to the world as a whole and
brought up issues that we all thought would never come up again. In
any case one should keep in mind that older versions have had
comparable issues (cursades, inquisition, ...). I am therefore
faithful that these issues will not persist forever.

Peaceful Christmas, Hannukha, Eid al-Adha(+), Midwinter/summer or
whatever you celebrate these days.

(*) Separation of State and Religion
(+) This is the Feast of Sacrifice that commemorates the prophet
Ibrahim's willingness to obey Allah by sacrificing his son Ismail -
jews and christians should be familiar with this incident besides
that the names are spelled a bit differently: "Ibrahim" is written
"Abraham" and "Ismail" is written "Ishmael".

Jupp
--
I hear muslims say that the Bible contains a manipulated version of
words of Allah and wonder why I never hear anything about an effort

Christian Neukirchen

What about Gravmass? http://www.stallman.org/grav...

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

* Christian Neukirchen, 12/23/2006 04:01 PM:
> What about Gravmass? http://www.stallman.org/grav...

Sir Isaak Newton, Fellow of the Royal Society was born on the 25th of
december 1642 in Woolsthorpe-by-Colsterworth in Lincolnshire, East
Midlands, England where at that time the Julian calendar was still in
effect. This means that the correct day to celebrate his birthday is
the 4th of january.

When using several frames of reference please make sure that the
appropriate transformation is applied. In this one the two frames of
reference differ by a time offset.

It is obvious that the term "birthday" has little to do with the
recurrence if a calendaric date but applies to an integral number of
years having passed by since the person was born. Otherwise somebody
born on the 29th of february 1980 would celebrate his 7th birthday on
the 29th of february 2008 - at a biological age of 28.

Note that Stallman seems to be aware of this problem because he calls
the holiday "Grav-mass". To me it is an allusion to "Inter Gravissimas":

http://www.bluewaterarts.com/calendar/NewInterGravi...

Jupp

Gregory Brown

On 12/23/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> What if Richard Stallman wrote greeting cards?

It'd actually be Eben Moglen that would help Stallmann create such a
masterpiece :)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Quoting Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com>:

> On 12/23/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> > What if Richard Stallman wrote greeting cards?
>
> It'd actually be Eben Moglen that would help Stallman create such a
> masterpiece :)

I don't know the original source of it ... I'm guessing from the wording it has
a conservative political origin rather than an open-source one. In any event,
it reminds me of the question that was kicking around when Bill Gates got
married -- which has more lines of code, Internet Explorer or Bill Gates'
pre-nuptial agreement? :)

Gregory Brown

On 12/23/06, znmeb@cesmail.net <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> Quoting Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com>:
>
> > On 12/23/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> > > What if Richard Stallman wrote greeting cards?
> >
> > It'd actually be Eben Moglen that would help Stallman create such a
> > masterpiece :)
> >

> I don't know the original source of it ... I'm guessing from the wording it has
> a conservative political origin rather than an open-source one. In any event,
> it reminds me of the question that was kicking around when Bill Gates got
> married -- which has more lines of code, Internet Explorer or Bill Gates'
> pre-nuptial agreement? :)

I think Ed was taking a rib at the GPL, which though drafted by rms,
is ultimately turned into a legal document by Eben. (Who heads the
Software Freedom Law Centre)