Using the SaveAs in Excel not working with Ruby

anon1m0us

12/12/2006 1:57:00 PM

Hi;
I need to save an Excel Spreadsheet with Ruby. I used the Save AND
SaveAs methods, but each time I get prompted "Do you want to save the
changes you made..." How can I save the workbook without this prompt.
In addition, is there away to add a timestamp to the save file
like.....application12122006.xls or any format that contains a time
stamp?

5 Answers

David Mullet

anon1m0us@yahoo.com wrote:
> How can I save the workbook without this prompt.

Where xl is your Excel Application object and wb is your Workbook
object...

xl.DisplayAlerts = 0
wb.SaveAs(xlsname)
xl.DisplayAlerts = 1

> In addition, is there away to add a timestamp to the save file
> like.....application12122006.xls or any format that contains a time
> stamp?

Something like this...

xlsname = 'application' + Time.now.strftime("%m%d%y") + '.xls'

Mully

anon1m0us

Thanks...that did the trick!

mully wrote:
> anon1m0us@yahoo.com wrote:
> > How can I save the workbook without this prompt.
>
> Where xl is your Excel Application object and wb is your Workbook
> object...
>
> xl.DisplayAlerts = 0
> wb.SaveAs(xlsname)
> xl.DisplayAlerts = 1
>
> > In addition, is there away to add a timestamp to the save file
> > like.....application12122006.xls or any format that contains a time
> > stamp?
>
> Something like this...
>
> xlsname = 'application' + Time.now.strftime("%m%d%y") + '.xls'
>
> Mully

Gustav - Railist

anon1m0us@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi;
> I need to save an Excel Spreadsheet with Ruby. I used the Save AND
> SaveAs methods, but each time I get prompted "Do you want to save the
> changes you made..." How can I save the workbook without this prompt.
> In addition, is there away to add a timestamp to the save file
> like.....application12122006.xls or any format that contains a time
> stamp?

Hey

I think you can use

book.close

passing either 1 or 0 (I can't remember which)
Also, I can't remember if you need to call SaveAs first.

This should work:

book = #get workbook
book.SaveAs "SomeFile.xls"
book.close(0)

Hope this helps
Gustav Paul

Ivor

I am guessing the (0) in close(0) refers to the number of the book that
is open, which could mean that if you had a book open and you open a new
book, then this will fail.

try close("SomeFile.xls") and let me know if that works. I know from the
VBA that you could refer to the book by using the filename as the reference.
the all open workbooks lie in a collection hence the need for a reference.

it's been a long time since I have done any VBA, which is a good thing!
ivor

Gustav Paul wrote:
> anon1m0us@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Hi;
>> I need to save an Excel Spreadsheet with Ruby. I used the Save AND
>> SaveAs methods, but each time I get prompted "Do you want to save the
>> changes you made..." How can I save the workbook without this prompt.
>> In addition, is there away to add a timestamp to the save file
>> like.....application12122006.xls or any format that contains a time
>> stamp?
>>

> Hey
>
> I think you can use
>
> book.close
>
> passing either 1 or 0 (I can't remember which)
> Also, I can't remember if you need to call SaveAs first.
>
> This should work:
>
> book = #get workbook
> book.SaveAs "SomeFile.xls"
> book.close(0)
>
> Hope this helps
> Gustav Paul

anon1m0us

Ok, this code provides the date..
xlsname = 'application' + Time.now.strftime("%m%d%y") + '.xls'
If i want to add a time stamp to? is it ("%m%d%y%h%mm%s")???