Re: try to connect Ruby to oracle

andre hartawan

12/9/2006 5:45:00 AM

No, it is not my first time use oracle
connection,actually i have used TOAD and It's working
properlly,but it's my first time using ruby,du u have
any suggestion ?

--- Paul Lutus <nospam@nosite.zzz> wrote:

> andre hartawan wrote:
>
> > Need an advice please,
> >
> > I have an error while trying to connect ruby to
> > oracle.
> > u can see the error below.What should I do ?
> >
> > E:\ruby\bin>ruby -r oci8 -e "OCI8.new('hr', 'hr',
> > '//10.10.xx.xx:1521/oradbx').
> > exec('select * from JOBS') do |r| puts
> r.join(',');
> > end"
> > E:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:49:in
> `create':
> > ERROR (OCIError)
> > from
> E:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:49
>
> 1. Have you been able to connect to Oracle using
> this method before now? In
> other words, is this your first effort to connect,
> or is this the first
> time you have had a problem connecting?
>
> 2. Is the Oracle server running on the provided
> address and port?
>
> 3. Is the provided SQL accepted when using another
> way to talk to Oracle?
>
> 4. Have you considered putting your Ruby code in a
> script, which would give
> you more control over what happens and how errors
> are reported?
>
> --
> Paul Lutus
> http://www.ara...

http://mail...

21 Answers

Paul Lutus

andre hartawan wrote:

> No, it is not my first time use oracle
> connection,actually i have used TOAD and It's working
> properlly,but it's my first time using ruby,du u have
> any suggestion ?

Please re-read my first post. Is the SQL syntax you have submitted to the
Ruby interface acceptable elsewhere? Is the address and the port correct?
And so forth.

Basically, re-read my first post and run each of the tests I suggested
there.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

Thanatos

In article <jgi3ge$ou2$2@dont-email.me>,
David Johnston <David@block.net> wrote:

> On 2/3/2012 6:43 PM, Thanatos wrote:
> > In article<jgh8mb$2ue$1@dont-email.me>,
> > David Johnston<David@block.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2/3/2012 11:12 AM, Thanatos wrote:
> >> 's a better description of the pilot's premise:

> >> Well they could have said "modern technology". But then of course you
> >> would have asked what the definition of "modern" was.
> >
> > No, then I would have asked how the hell some phenomenon managed to do
> > something that only affected things that are 'modern'.
>
> The alien space bats picked what to interfere with.

May I momma dog face in the banana patch?

> >> The use of "every" and "all" are hyperbole by PR flacks filtering second
> >> hand information.
> >
> > Something which you can't possibly actually know unless you're involved
> > in the production of the show.
>
> Really. I can't possibly know that in the first episode everyone does
> not in fact die when their metabolism immediately ceases as soon as the
> effect happens. Really.

No, you can't possibly know that it's all hyperbole. They could indeed
be stupid enough to make that the premise of the show and then violate
their own internal logic. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

shawn

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 17:43:37 -0800, Thanatos <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <jgh8mb$2ue$1@dont-email.me>,
> David Johnston <David@block.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/3/2012 11:12 AM, Thanatos wrote:
>> 's a better description of the pilot's premise:

>> > And what is the definition of 'technology'?
>>
>> Well they could have said "modern technology". But then of course you
>> would have asked what the definition of "modern" was.
>
>No, then I would have asked how the hell some phenomenon managed to do
>something that only affected things that are 'modern'.

Probably the easiest way (for aliens) would be to have some sort of
permanent EMP in place. That would kill most 'modern' technology since
we tend to have computers in just about everything but it would let
people and other life forms survive.

David Johnston

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Alie...

>>> Something which you can't possibly actually know unless you're involved
>>> in the production of the show.
>>
>> Really. I can't possibly know that in the first episode everyone does
>> not in fact die when their metabolism immediately ceases as soon as the
>> effect happens. Really.
>
> No, you can't possibly know that it's all hyperbole. They could indeed
> be stupid enough to make that the premise of the show and then violate
> their own internal logic.

No, they couldn't. They could be stupid enough to say "all energy" when
all they mean is electrical machinery, explosives and steam engines but
they could not be stupid enough enough to plan to kill all their
characters in the first episode.

Thanatos

In article <jgiedk$4dg$1@dont-email.me>,
David Johnston <David@block.net> wrote:

> On 2/3/2012 7:56 PM, Thanatos wrote:
> > In article<jgi3ge$ou2$2@dont-email.me>,
> > David Johnston<David@block.net> wrote:

> >> The alien space bats picked what to interfere with.
> >
> > May I momma dog face in the banana patch?
>
> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Alie...

> >> Really. I can't possibly know that in the first episode everyone does
> >> not in fact die when their metabolism immediately ceases as soon as the
> >> effect happens. Really.
> >
> > No, you can't possibly know that it's all hyperbole. They could indeed
> > be stupid enough to make that the premise of the show and then violate
> > their own internal logic.
>
> No, they couldn't. They could be stupid enough to say "all energy" when
> all they mean is electrical machinery,

Which would mean it wasn't "hyperbole by PR flacks filtering second-hand
information" as you claimed. Hence something you couldn't possibly know.

David Johnston

On 2/3/2012 10:23 PM, Thanatos wrote:
> In article<jgiedk$4dg$1@dont-email.me>,
> David Johnston<David@block.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/3/2012 7:56 PM, Thanatos wrote:

>>> May I momma dog face in the banana patch?
>>
>> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Alie...

>>> No, you can't possibly know that it's all hyperbole. They could indeed
>>> be stupid enough to make that the premise of the show and then violate
>>> their own internal logic.
>>
>> No, they couldn't. They could be stupid enough to say "all energy" when
>> all they mean is electrical machinery,
>
> Which would mean it wasn't "hyperbole by PR flacks filtering second-hand
> information" as you claimed.

No, press releases do come from PR flacks, they are passing on second
hand information, and the claim must be hyperbole.

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds

In article <jgiedk$4dg$1@dont-email.me>, David Johnston <David@block.net>
wrote:

> > No, you can't possibly know that it's all hyperbole. They could indeed
> > be stupid enough to make that the premise of the show and then violate
> > their own internal logic.
>
> No, they couldn't. They could be stupid enough to say "all energy" when
> all they mean is electrical machinery, explosives and steam engines but
> they could not be stupid enough enough to plan to kill all their
> characters in the first episode.

of course they could...the rest of the episodes could all be flashbacks on what
caused the problem

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds

In article <utdpi7tevc6eed3l03or6up0cvbsdlt533@4ax.com>,
shawn <nanoflower@gNOTmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 17:43:37 -0800, Thanatos <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <jgh8mb$2ue$1@dont-email.me>,
> > David Johnston <David@block.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2/3/2012 11:12 AM, Thanatos wrote:
> >> 's a better description of the pilot's premise:

> >> Well they could have said "modern technology". But then of course you
> >> would have asked what the definition of "modern" was.
> >
> >No, then I would have asked how the hell some phenomenon managed to do
> >something that only affected things that are 'modern'.
>
> Probably the easiest way (for aliens) would be to have some sort of
> permanent EMP in place. That would kill most 'modern' technology since
> we tend to have computers in just about everything but it would let
> people and other life forms survive.

It will just turn out to be a society that has abrogated it's power
management/technology oversight to a master computer that is controlled by a
council of leaders from different factions/political units that disagree on how
to use the awesome power of this "Mother" computer and thus somehow vote to have
"Mother" shut off all technology above a certain level...and the rest of the
story is about how society adapts and eventually manages to overwhelm the bad
guys and bring back "Mother"

Courtesy of John Ringo

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna

--

On 2/4/2012 12:25 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> In article<jgiedk$4dg$1@dont-email.me>, David Johnston<David@block.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> No, you can't possibly know that it's all hyperbole. They could indeed
>>> be stupid enough to make that the premise of the show and then violate
>>> their own internal logic.
>>
>> No, they couldn't. They could be stupid enough to say "all energy" when
>> all they mean is electrical machinery, explosives and steam engines but
>> they could not be stupid enough enough to plan to kill all their
>> characters in the first episode.
>
> of course they could...the rest of the episodes could all be flashbacks on what
> caused the problem

But that would not be a post-apocalyptic series.

Obveeus

"shawn" <nanoflower@gNOTmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 17:43:37 -0800, Thanatos <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>No, then I would have asked how the hell some phenomenon managed to do
>>something that only affected things that are 'modern'.
>
> Probably the easiest way (for aliens) would be to have some sort of
> permanent EMP in place. That would kill most 'modern' technology since
> we tend to have computers in just about everything but it would let
> people and other life forms survive.

Such a permanent EMP effect would not even require aliens, IMO. Earth is
hurling through space, so why not simply have the plotline based upon Earth
entering an area of space where a continuous EMP type effect is passing
through as well? The show doesn't have to explain the origins of the EMP,
it just has to put forth the premise that it exists and will continue to
exist for some indeterminate amount of time (could end tomorrow or could
last 100,000 years).