'ruby' not recognized as internal......

Parv G.

12/8/2006 4:32:00 PM

Newbie question (s) /problem:
I have ruby 1.8.5 on windows xp.
when i type "ruby -v" in command line i keep getting the message:
"'ruby' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

Does ruby 1.8.5 (on clicker) come with rubygem? or do i have to install
rubygem separately?

Jano Svitok

On 12/8/06, Parv G. <ghotrapa@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Newbie question (s) /problem:
> I have ruby 1.8.5 on windows xp.
> when i type "ruby -v" in command line i keep getting the message:
> "'ruby' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file."
>
> Does ruby 1.8.5 (on clicker) come with rubygem? or do i have to install
> rubygem separately?

Your system doesn't know where to look for ruby.exe.

Add c:\ruby\bin to your PATH (My Computer, right-click, properties,
Advanced, Environment Variables, find the line with PATH, add
c:\ruby\bin (or wherever you have it installed) at the end, separate
with ; from previous item.

and while you're at it, look if you have a variable named RYBUOPT with
'rubygems' and if not, add one (this will enable rubygems by default)

Parv G.

Jan Svitok wrote:
> On 12/8/06, Parv G. <ghotrapa@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Newbie question (s) /problem:
>> I have ruby 1.8.5 on windows xp.
>> when i type "ruby -v" in command line i keep getting the message:
>> "'ruby' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>> operable program or batch file."
>>
>> Does ruby 1.8.5 (on clicker) come with rubygem? or do i have to install
>> rubygem separately?
>
> Your system doesn't know where to look for ruby.exe.
>
> Add c:\ruby\bin to your PATH (My Computer, right-click, properties,
> Advanced, Environment Variables, find the line with PATH, add
> c:\ruby\bin (or wherever you have it installed) at the end, separate
> with ; from previous item.
>
> and while you're at it, look if you have a variable named RYBUOPT with
> 'rubygems' and if not, add one (this will enable rubygems by default)

Thanks Jan,
It turned out to be a type as i originally typed "c:\bin\ruby" to my
PATH, went back and corrected, Appreciate your help
Parv

Brad Guth

On Jul 28, 7:42 pm, harry k <turnkey4...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 11:13 am, Brad Guth <bradg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Snip

> > > It makes a bit of a splash then melts if the water is above the
> > > freezing temperature.
>
> > it also displaces the water by the liquid volume of that melted ice.
>
> Which is the same liquid volume when it melts or is frozen.  It
> doesnt' change.
>
> Harry K

But so very little of this glacial ice and/or compacted snow on Earth
is floating. At least I've never specified floating ice as being
problematic.

Why do you focus so much attention on such little volume of ice and
snow that which happens to be floating?

Brad Guth

On Jul 28, 8:51 pm, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." <d...@jameford.edu>
wrote:
> harry k wrote:

> >>Which is the same liquid volume when it melts or is frozen.  It
> >>doesnt' change.
>
> >>Harry K
>
> > To clarify a bit,  the AMOUNT of water does not change whether it is
> > forzen or liquid.  The VOLUME expands as it feezes but the extra
> > volume is what you see above the survace.
>
> > Same amount of a water frozen dispaces the same amount of water as
> > when it is liquid, thus the lewater level does not change.
>
> > Of course if etither one of you were to take a glass put a cube in it
> > and watch it melt you could cure your ignorance.
>
> > Harry K
>
> Son, adding the ice cube raises the water level.
> ;-)

Not to mention that as little as 0.2% (maximum 0.3%) of global ice is
currently floating, and everything else arriving upon the oceans as
glacial ice flows that become icebergs, had been held above sea-level
until its volume slid in or melted and flowed into the drink.

Warhol

Op 29-7-2012 4:43, harry k schreef:
> On Jul 28, 12:08 pm, Warhol <mol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Snip

>>> It makes a bit of a splash then melts if the water is above the
>>> freezing temperature.
>>
>> wrong answer... the right answer is that the level of the water in the
>> glass will rise...
>
> You obviously:
> 1. Did not pay attention in school
> and
> 2. Have never tried the experiment
> and
> 3. Are as ignorant as Brad.
>
> Harry K

you really should go back to school and learn to read... you clearly
have a comprehension problem...

harry k

On Jul 29, 7:48 am, Warhol <mol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Op 29-7-2012 4:43, harry k schreef:

> >> wrong answer... the right answer is that the level of the water in the
> >> glass will rise...
>
> > You obviously:
> > 1.  Did not pay attention in school
> > and
> > 2.  Have never tried the experiment
> > and
> > 3.  Are as ignorant as Brad.
>
> > Harry K
>
> you really should go back to school and learn to read... you clearly
> have a comprehension problem...

Try the ice cube test. For once in your life take a few minutes out
to educate yurself....of course if you ever actuatlly DO it, you will
lie about the result.

Harry K

harry k

wrote:
> harry k wrote:

> >>Which is the same liquid volume when it melts or is frozen.  It
> >>doesnt' change.
>
> >>Harry K
>
> > To clarify a bit,  the AMOUNT of water does not change whether it is
> > forzen or liquid.  The VOLUME expands as it feezes but the extra
> > volume is what you see above the survace.
>
> > Same amount of a water frozen dispaces the same amount of water as
> > when it is liquid, thus the lewater level does not change.
>
> > Of course if etither one of you were to take a glass put a cube in it
> > and watch it melt you could cure your ignorance.
>
> > Harry K
>
> Son, adding the ice cube raises the water level.
> ;-)

Which has zippo to do with the discussion. For an apparant idiot:
FLOATING ice does not change the water level. The test is done AFTER
the ice cube is inroducted.

If you are still confused I'll be glad to expalain it in simpler
terms.

Harry K

harry k

On Jul 28, 10:08 pm, Brad Guth <bradg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 8:51 pm, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." <d...@jameford.edu>
> wrote:
>

> > harry k wrote:

> > > To clarify a bit,  the AMOUNT of water does not change whether it is
> > > forzen or liquid.  The VOLUME expands as it feezes but the extra
> > > volume is what you see above the survace.
>
> > > Same amount of a water frozen dispaces the same amount of water as
> > > when it is liquid, thus the lewater level does not change.
>
> > > Of course if etither one of you were to take a glass put a cube in it
> > > and watch it melt you could cure your ignorance.
>
> > > Harry K
>
> > Son, adding the ice cube raises the water level.
> > ;-)
>
> Not to mention that as little as 0.2% (maximum 0.3%) of global ice is
> currently floating, and everything else arriving upon the oceans as
> glacial ice flows that become icebergs, had been held above sea-level
> until its volume slid in or melted and flowed into the drink.

Which has zippo to do with what happens when FLOATING ice melts.

Harry K

harry k

On Jul 28, 9:55 pm, Brad Guth <bradg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 7:42 pm, harry k <turnkey4...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > it also displaces the water by the liquid volume of that melted ice.
>
> > Which is the same liquid volume when it melts or is frozen.  It
> > doesnt' change.
>
> > Harry K
>
> But so very little of this glacial ice and/or compacted snow on Earth
> is floating.  At least I've never specified floating ice as being
> problematic.
>
> Why do you focus so much attention on such little volume of ice and
> snow that which happens to be floating?

Because both you and Warhol think that floating ice will change the
water level when it melts. A 6th grade student would know better.

Harry K

Brad Guth

On Jul 29, 12:14 pm, harry k <turnkey4...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 9:55 pm, Brad Guth <bradg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Which is the same liquid volume when it melts or is frozen.  It
> > > doesnt' change.
>
> > > Harry K
>
> > But so very little of this glacial ice and/or compacted snow on Earth
> > is floating.  At least I've never specified floating ice as being
> > problematic.
>
> > Why do you focus so much attention on such little volume of ice and
> > snow that which happens to be floating?
>
> Because both you and Warhol think that floating ice will change the
> water level when it melts.  A 6th grade student would know better.
>
> Harry K

Except neither of us ever said any such thing, other than stipulating
that new ice or the accelerated flow of ice added to oceans was a very
bad thing in more ways than higher sea levels and the subsequent loss
of dry land.

With 99.8% of global ice volume and compacted snow that's situated
well above sea-level, whereas it's the floating ice that merely
represents an indicator of what isn't sustaining that previously much
greater percentage of ice as sea ice (aka icebergs) or pack-ice when
our world was measurably cooler and more landmass was consistently
covered in snow and ice that didn't used to melt by every summer
season.

Ever heard of global dimming?

As less snow and ice covered land and oceans becomes the norm, as well
as somewhat fewer daytime clouds, the albedo of those areas of snow
and ice goes from a high of 90% to reflecting as low as 10% when the
snow and ice is gone. So, how is that revision of surface geology
reflectance not going to warm our planet?

http://groups.google.com/gro...
http://translate.go...