Re: Execute environment - rake aborted! - no such file to load -- openssl

dave .

12/8/2006 4:30:00 PM

Env: Ruby 1.8.5, Linux RedHat 7.3

openssl is installed but ruby still displays an error

root@server [~]# openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006

root@server [~]# ruby -rubygems -e "require 'payment'"
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require': no such file to load -- openssl (LoadError)
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/https.rb:102
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/payment-1.0.1/lib/payment.rb:29
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:33:in
`gem_original_require'
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:33:in `require'
from -e:1

>From: "Jan Svitok" <jan.svitok@gmail.com>
>To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: Re: Execute environment - rake aborted! - no such file to load --
>openssl
>Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:22:55 +0900
>
>On 12/8/06, dave . <vancouverhg@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Env: Ruby 1.8.5, Linux
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated with this issue
>>Thanks
>
>>no such file to load -- openssl
>>/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
>>`gem_original_require'
>>/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/payment-1.0.1/lib/payment.rb:29
>
>>payment (1.0.1)
>> Payment is used to process credit cards and electronic cash through
>> merchant accounts.
>
>>require_gem 'payment'
>
>The openssl package is missing in your system. It is required by
>'payment' gem. The solution depends on the distribution you are using.
>Try searching for ruby-openssl or something similar.
>
>You can check if you have fixed the issue by running just
>
>ruby -rubygems -e "require 'payment'"
>
>instead of the whole rails stuff.

Enter the "Telus Mobility Xbox a Day" contest for your chance to WIN! Telus
Mobility is giving away an Microsoft Xbox® 360 every day from November 20 to
December 31, 2006! Just download Windows Live (MSN) Messenger to your
IM-capable TELUS mobile phone, and you could be a winner!
http://www.telusmobility.co...

6 Answers

Alex Young

dave . wrote:
> Env: Ruby 1.8.5, Linux RedHat 7.3
>
> openssl is installed but ruby still displays an error
>
> root@server [~]# openssl version
> OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006

Just to be clear, you need *both* the openssl package, *and* the
ruby-openssl bindings to be installed. If you haven't checked that
you've got both, it may be what's tripping you up. I remember having
exactly this problem on Debian.

--
Alex

> root@server [~]# ruby -rubygems -e "require 'payment'"
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- openssl (LoadError)
> from
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `require'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/https.rb:102
> from
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require'
> from
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `require'
> from
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/payment-1.0.1/lib/payment.rb:29
> from
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:33:in
> `gem_original_require'
> from
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:33:in
> `require'
> from -e:1
>
>> From: "Jan Svitok" <jan.svitok@gmail.com>
>> To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
>> Subject: Re: Execute environment - rake aborted! - no such file to
>> load -- openssl
>> Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:22:55 +0900
>>
>> On 12/8/06, dave . <vancouverhg@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Env: Ruby 1.8.5, Linux
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated with this issue
>>> Thanks
>>
>>> no such file to load -- openssl
>>> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
>>> `gem_original_require'
>>> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/payment-1.0.1/lib/payment.rb:29
>>
>>> payment (1.0.1)
>>> Payment is used to process credit cards and electronic cash through
>>> merchant accounts.
>>
>>> require_gem 'payment'
>>
>> The openssl package is missing in your system. It is required by
>> 'payment' gem. The solution depends on the distribution you are using.
>> Try searching for ruby-openssl or something similar.
>>
>> You can check if you have fixed the issue by running just
>>
>> ruby -rubygems -e "require 'payment'"
>>
>> instead of the whole rails stuff.

> Enter the "Telus Mobility Xbox a Day" contest for your chance to WIN!
> Telus Mobility is giving away an Microsoft Xbox® 360 every day from
> November 20 to December 31, 2006! Just download Windows Live (MSN)
> Messenger to your IM-capable TELUS mobile phone, and you could be a
> winner! http://www.telusmobility.co...

Barry Margolin

In article <jghkim$ha1$2@news.albasani.net>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Professor Bubba wrote:
> >Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> >>The plaza is a real place but it's not a dedicated street.
>
> >Okay, I don't get the distinction.
>
> John D. Rockefeller had the clout to do something the rest of us don't.
> It's like Donald Trump being allowed to use the name of one of his
> buildings as its address.

But this is obviously not just the name of the building, like "Chrysler
Building". The number 30 indicates that there's a whole plaza, with
each building getting a number as an address.

In Cambridge, MA, there's a section of town adjacent to MIT called
"Kendall Square", and the buildings there are address 1 Kendall Square,
2 Kendall Square, etc. instead of using the street names in their
addresses.

And getting a street named after yourself doesn't always require much
clout. In my town, at least 80% of the street names are named after
people -- when they were turning farmland into residential developments
in the 19th century, the developers got to choose the street names, and
they often named themselves or their relatives.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Hunter

In article <030220121235287758%bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid>,
bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid says...

> In article <jgh4jl$eav$1@news.albasani.net>, Adam H. Kerman
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
> > Brian Thorn <bthorn64@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> > >Currently, 30 Rockefeller Center, or "30 Rock".
> >
> > Wouldn't that be a vanity address? What's the actual street address of
> > the RCA building?
>

> The RCA Building can be found somewhere lurking around the next bend in
> the Twilight Zone.
----
Well it was called the RCA building until 1988. I think the source of confusion
is the building is in Rockefeller *Center* as part of the general complex, but
it is *located* at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

> The GE Building, OTOH, is at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, which is a real
> street address and has been since 1933. The plaza didn't exist before
> that. (They created Rockefeller Plaza by cutting through the middles
> of 48th through 51st Sts. between Fifth and Sixth Aves.)
---
Then "30" Rock" can work either way; and yes it is the actual building address,
just like say 1 & 2 World Trade Center were.
--
----->Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Adam H. Kerman

Hunter <buffhunter@my-deja.com> wrote:
>bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid says...
>>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>>Wouldn't that be a vanity address? What's the actual street address of
>>>the RCA building?

>>The RCA Building can be found somewhere lurking around the next bend in
>>the Twilight Zone.

>Well it was called the RCA building until 1988. I think the source of
>confusion is the building is in Rockefeller *Center* as part of the
>general complex, but it is *located* at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

I can always count on you to contribute a snark, Hunter. Thank you
for not disappointing. Please don't disappoint me by failing to deny
that you weren't being snarky in your inevitable followup.

Hunter

In article <jgjvvh$36e$2@news.albasani.net>, ahk@chinet.com says...

> Hunter <buffhunter@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >bubba@nowhere.edu.invalid says...

> >>The RCA Building can be found somewhere lurking around the next bend in
> >>the Twilight Zone.
>
> >Well it was called the RCA building until 1988. I think the source of
> >confusion is the building is in Rockefeller *Center* as part of the
> >general complex, but it is *located* at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.
>
> I can always count on you to contribute a snark, Hunter. Thank you
> for not disappointing. Please don't disappoint me by failing to deny
> that you weren't being snarky in your inevitable followup.
----
Here you go Kerman: Where the hell you get a snark out of that? I think you are
confusing my answer to Bubba's comment which was a snark. As I said Rockefeller
*Plaza* was and is the building address and that is different than the name of
the complex which is Rockefeller *Center*:

"The GE Building is an Art Deco skyscraper that forms the centerpiece of
Rockefeller Center in the Midtown Manhattan section of New York City. Known as
the RCA Building until 1988, it is most famous for housing the headquarters of
the television network NBC. At 850 feet (259 m) tall, the 70-story building is
the 10th tallest building in New York City and the 33rd tallest in the United
States. Some of the building's nicknames include The Slab and 30 Rock. The
latter is derived from its address which is at 30 Rockefeller Plaza."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G...
--
----->Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Professor Bubba

In article <MPG.2999a8d8405c90fe98a4d6@news.optonline.net>, Hunter
<buffhunter@my-deja.com> wrote:

> I think you are confusing my answer to Bubba's comment which was a
> snark.

No, it was just a joke, and a TV-related one at that. Gold star for me!

FWIW I still call them the RCA Building, the Pan Am Building and the
Sears Tower. I really don't care who bought them and changed all the
signs.