Help with rake

Jeremy Woertink

12/7/2006 11:01:00 PM

Can anyone tell me exactly how rake works? How does it know what to do?

Also, when I run rake db:anything, it changes my schema file to an
autogenerated format, can anyone tell me where it gets the info for
this?

Thanks

Eric Hodel

On Dec 7, 2006, at 15:00 , Jeremy Woertink wrote:

> Can anyone tell me exactly how rake works? How does it know what to
> do?

Jim Weirich's site onestepback.org has several articles on how rake
does what it does:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aonestepbac...

If you want the short answer, it builds a dependency tree, performs a
topological sort, then runs things in order until done.

> Also, when I run rake db:anything, it changes my schema file to an
> autogenerated format, can anyone tell me where it gets the info for
> this?

Ask the Rails list.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Jeremy Woertink

Thanks for the help.

tim.j.stewart@gmail.com

Jeremy Woertink wrote:
> Can anyone tell me exactly how rake works? How does it know what to do?

I found this article to be a great introduction to rake:

http://www.martinfowler.com/articles...

Professor Bubba

In article <jgh7ni$ler$2@news.albasani.net>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Professor Bubba wrote:
> >The GE Building, OTOH, is at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, which is a real
> >street address and has been since 1933. The plaza didn't exist before
> >that. (They created Rockefeller Plaza by cutting through the middles
> >of 48th through 51st Sts. between Fifth and Sixth Aves.)
>
> The plaza is a real place but it's not a dedicated street.

Okay, I don't get the distinction. I know there are vanity addresses.
For instance, in the '70s Citibank wanted the local (Manhattan)
community board to approve a name change for its headquarters block, to
Citibank Plaza, but the board refused.

But Rockefeller Plaza was created when Rockefeller Center was laid out.
There's no alternative address, such as 48 E. 49th St. You even used
to be able to drive through it (unless the tree was up, heh).

Ronnie Bateman

Just FYI, I've watched lots and lots of All in the Family and The
Simpsons, but I couldn't have told you either homes' address. I didn't
enjoy The Munsters much, but I *did* know that address. ;)

Professor Bubba

In article
<OurOwnRonnieBateman-1B1C7E.13365303022012@news.eternal-september.org>,
Ronnie Bateman <OurOwnRonnieBateman@earthlinc.net> wrote:

> Just FYI, I've watched lots and lots of All in the Family and The
> Simpsons, but I couldn't have told you either homes' address. I didn't
> enjoy The Munsters much, but I *did* know that address. ;)

That's sort of the point. I had to google a couple of the suggestions
here; the Simpson house was one of them. 1313 Mockingbird Lane, no
problem.

They did try a successor series to All in the Family. It dates from
1994 and was called 704 Hauser (same address but a different family),
so there's another one. Didn't last long, though.