IEEE-488 (GP-IB) Interface Lib for Ruby

John Joyce

12/7/2006 1:58:00 PM

Greetings,

Is anyone aware of a Ruby library for controlling IEEE-488 interface
cards? The specific application that I am having to work with is
running MS-Windows XP and uses National Instruments IEEE-488 interface
cards. So far a search of this newsgroup and the general web hasn't
returned anything promising. NI normally provides several levels of
drivers, ranging from direct port access through DLL and COM
interfaces. Use of any of these would probably be acceptable.

Thanks,

John

---------------

Dr. John Joyce
LIMS Manager
Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services
600 N. 5th St.
Richmond, VA 23219

Mailto: John.Joyce@dgs.virginia.gov <--- Address Change
Phone: 804-648-4480, X-384
FAX: 804-692-0416

3 Answers

David Vallner

John Joyce wrote:
> NI normally provides several levels of
> drivers, ranging from direct port access through DLL and COM
> interfaces.

Get the COM ones, and try WIN32OLE? Probably a fairly nice and
effortless way if it works in the first place and portability to
non-Windows is not an issue.

David Vallner

Tim Pease

On 12/7/06, John Joyce <John.Joyce@dgs.virginia.gov> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is anyone aware of a Ruby library for controlling IEEE-488 interface
> cards? The specific application that I am having to work with is
> running MS-Windows XP and uses National Instruments IEEE-488 interface
> cards. So far a search of this newsgroup and the general web hasn't
> returned anything promising. NI normally provides several levels of
> drivers, ranging from direct port access through DLL and COM
> interfaces. Use of any of these would probably be acceptable.

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/...

Have not tried these personally. We use the NI Ethernet / GPIB
converter boxes here at work. Everything is just a socket call, but
the transfer rates are slower than the PCI cards.

Blessings,
TwP

Tim Pease

On 12/7/06, David Vallner <david@vallner.net> wrote:
> John Joyce wrote:
> > NI normally provides several levels of
> > drivers, ranging from direct port access through DLL and COM
> > interfaces.
>
> Get the COM ones, and try WIN32OLE? Probably a fairly nice and
> effortless way if it works in the first place and portability to
> non-Windows is not an issue.

There is some sample code here ...

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...

The code is readable if the Japanese is not ;)

TwP