Re: Problem with Marshaling WeakRefs?

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Problem with Marshaling WeakRefs?"
on Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:55:10 +0900, umptious@gmail.com writes:

|I'm experimenting with Marshal, but I'm having problems making it work
|with data structures that use WeakRefs. Marshal saves without
|complaining, but the WeakRefs seem to be junk when I load. Hopefully
|the program below explains everything. I'm using Ruby 184-15 on Windows
|XP Pro.
|
|Am I missing something?

No, it's a bug. Thank you for finding it. Note that restored weakref
object will weakly refer to a new (copied) object. It's only way to
make weakref valid between processes.

matz.

1 Answer

umptious

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Problem with Marshaling WeakRefs?"
> on Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:55:10 +0900, umptious@gmail.com writes:
>
> |I'm experimenting with Marshal, but I'm having problems making it work
> |with data structures that use WeakRefs. Marshal saves without
> |complaining, but the WeakRefs seem to be junk when I load. Hopefully
> |the program below explains everything. I'm using Ruby 184-15 on Windows
> |XP Pro.
> |
> |Am I missing something?
>
> No, it's a bug. Thank you for finding it. Note that restored weakref
> object will weakly refer to a new (copied) object. It's only way to
> make weakref valid between processes.
>
> matz.

By "will" do you mean "should"? Because it looks to me at the moment as
if there's no ref at all there. Or have I mis-understood?

And does "newly copied object" mean that instead if I had two weak refs
to an object in my original program, then after loading they'll refer
to separate ones???

Thanks for the fast response - and btw: great language design!