Re: GUI programming for WinXP/Linux/OSX?

Vincent Fourmond

12/7/2006 12:17:00 AM

Tiago Pinto wrote:
> Hi Vince!,

Hello !

Well, first, you really should consider posting to ruby-talk rather
than directly to me. You'll get answers faster and better ;-). I'm ccing.

> I'm working on an application using Qt+Ruby and want to know if there
> is a good way to export my app. Since it is done, I want to distribute
> it on Macosx, Linux and Windows. Is there any way to package or
> include all the needed stuff without requiring the user to download
> and install Qt.

This is quite a difficult thing to do. If you're talking about Qt3,
that will not be possible for windows unless you own a Qt3 license and
you can make arrangements with the authors of the Ruby bindings. For
Qt4, the question is still difficult. I guess the closest we can get to
that it to make a gem - that should be rather easy to install. You can
even try to package it along with your program.

You could also give a try to Ruby2Exe to package your win32 version.
I'm not aware of anything similar for Linux or MacOS.

But I don't have any experience in that domain. I remember however
that this question has been raised a couple of times on ruby-talk, I
just don't have time to dig the archives right now.

Does anyone have an idea ?

Vince

--
Vincent Fourmond, PhD student