Using Mkmf to Verify Libraries

Steven Hansen

I'm trying to use the 'mkmf' library to determine if a given library is
installed.

I have two identical machines.

On machine 1:
find_library('mysqlclient', 'mysql_query', '/path/to/lib') => true

On machine 2:
find_library('mysqlclient', 'mysql_query', '/path/to/lib') => false

I'm stumped. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

libmysqlclient.a is installed in the exact same location on both machines.

Regards,
Steven

2 Answers

Daniel Berger

Steven Hansen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the 'mkmf' library to determine if a given library is
> installed.
>
> I have two identical machines.
>
> On machine 1:
> find_library('mysqlclient', 'mysql_query', '/path/to/lib') => true
>

> On machine 2:
> find_library('mysqlclient', 'mysql_query', '/path/to/lib') => false
>

> I'm stumped. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
>
> libmysqlclient.a is installed in the exact same location on both machines.

The last time I hit a similar situation it turned out I didn't have read
permissions on the library I was looking for. That may be it.

Regards,

Dan

Steven Hansen

vincent.fourmond@9online.fr wrote:
> > I have two identical machines.
>
> Careful, 'identical' means the md5sum of all disks match and the
> hardware is the same. That's hard ;-)...
>
> > On machine 1:
> > find_library('mysqlclient', 'mysql_query', '/path/to/lib') => true
> > On machine 2:
> > find_library('mysqlclient', 'mysql_query', '/path/to/lib') => false
> > libmysqlclient.a is installed in the exact same location on both
> > machines.
>
> There are several things that could be causing this. First, are you
> sure that the rbconfig.rb files are the same in both machines ? There
> are several path stored in this file. Moreover, mkmf is aware of some
> environment variables. Check first that
> set
> and
> ruby -r rbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG'
> gives you the same things. If not, it should be easy to track the problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vince

Daniel and Vince, thanks for the leads. :-)

Regards,
Steven