String#crypt first 8 characters

Patrick Plattes

12/5/2006 1:09:00 PM

Hello,

i had a problem with str.crypt - i got every time the same result. The
problem is, that this method only use the first 8 characters of the string:

irb(main):022:0> "1234567".crypt('aa')
=> "aaOK9MRbwVNmQ"
irb(main):023:0> "12345678".crypt('aa')
=> "aaNN3X.PL2piw"
irb(main):024:0> "123456789".crypt('aa')
=> "aaNN3X.PL2piw"

If it is a feature not a bug, it should not be an undocumented feature
;-) . ruby-doc.org doesn't told me about this behaviour.

Have a nice day,
Patrick

4 Answers

Chris Hulan

On Dec 5, 8:08 am, Patrick Plattes
> i had a problem with str.crypt - i got every time the same result. The
> problem is, that this method only use the first 8 characters of the string:

A little googling on 'C standard library crypt' led me to :
http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?cr...

It turns out the default crypt functionality only uses the first 8
chars, silently ignoring the rest.

Suggest looking into a "real" cryptographic lib. Googling for 'ruby
crypt' gave up:
http://crypt.ruby...

cheers

F. Senault

Le 05 décembre à 14:08, Patrick Plattes a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> i had a problem with str.crypt - i got every time the same result. The
> problem is, that this method only use the first 8 characters of the string:

There are workarounds, but I think that's dependent on the OS.

For instance, the *BSD variants usually allow to use the notation
$n$salt in the salt part of the crypt to choose another algorythm (n=1
-> MD5, n=2 -> Blowfish, n=3 ->NT-Hash, at least on FreeBSD) :

>> "abcdefghijklmnop".crypt("$1$8aezq78a")
=> "$1$8aezq78a$reWMwf7b8UtEUWK0LM7pZ/"
>> "abcdefghijklmnopr".crypt("$1$8aezq78a")
=> "$1$8aezq78a$frgoGqHZ6bRujQt7qQeSP."

It seems to give the same results on some Linuxes and FreeBSD, but I
don't know exactly how portable it is.

Fred
--
So you want the world to stop Stop in and watch your body fully drop
From the time you were a Psycho, groupie, cocaine, crazy

Patrick Plattes

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I understand how crypt works
and now I use an other method.

Patrick

MCP

On 03/18/2013 03:49 PM, MCP wrote: