Re: Question about Ruby philosophy

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Question about Ruby philosophy"
on Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:35:37 +0900, Mike Shock <mshock@shadrinsk.net> writes:

|It's a serious question concerning language philosophy and design.
|I believe all of us would be pleased to know the opinion of Matz on it.

|> 2) Why should I not be scared by that ?

You don't have to, when you trust other programmers, and you have time
to run test suite before deploying the software. It gives you new
possibility, possibility to do many good things, along with a few
dangerous things. Ruby makes you free. You are even free to shoot
your own foot.

|> 3) Why most C#, Java, C++ developper thinks that this approach is
|> dangerous and lead to bad practices ?

Often there are cases where we can not trust each other for various
reasons: immature programmers, discommunication between team members,
etc. Under such circumstance, it is dangerous and lead to bad
practices. Don't use Ruby for such cases. It's no fun.

matz.

6 Answers

Christian Neukirchen

Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> writes:

> Often there are cases where we can not trust each other for various
> reasons: immature programmers, discommunication between team members,
> etc. Under such circumstance, it is dangerous and lead to bad
> practices. Don't use Ruby for such cases. It's no fun.

Do you consider Ruby a good language for teaching people that haven't
programmed yet? Just wondering.

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

Mike Shock

Christian Neukirchen writes:
> Do you consider Ruby a good language for teaching people that haven't
> programmed yet? Just wondering.

Sorry for answering the question addressed not to me,
but I'm an aged professional programmer who programmed in many languages
and for a long time was a lecturer and trainer of OOP.
Compared to other programming languages Ruby has many attracting
features. It is clear in understanding, pure OO, lightweight and
elegant, pragmatic and powerful, cross-platform, was deriveded from good
parent languages, absorbed modern programming ideas, supports different
programming paradigms.
So Ruby is almost ideally suitable for students and teachers, and I
strongly recommend for beginner programmers to start with Ruby.

Mike Shock
www.shokhirev.com/mikhail/

David Vallner

Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> Do you consider Ruby a good language for teaching people that haven't
> programmed yet? Just wondering.

I personally consider teaching programming in any language without a
REPL as Cruel and Unusual (tm) torture. Compiler-wrestling is a skill of
much value, but should be kept out of introductory courses and put into
language-specific seminars, IMO.

Disclaimer: That's from the position of a "victim" of having an
introductory course in (Borland Turbo) C, not an actual instructor.

David Vallner

Jim Cochrane

On 2006-12-08, David Vallner <david@vallner.net> wrote:
> Christian Neukirchen wrote:
>> Do you consider Ruby a good language for teaching people that haven't
>> programmed yet? Just wondering.
>>=20
>
> I personally consider teaching programming in any language without a
> REPL as Cruel and Unusual (tm) torture. Compiler-wrestling is a skill of

What is a REPL?

David Vallner

Jim Cochrane wrote:
> On 2006-12-08, David Vallner <david@vallner.net> wrote:
>> Christian Neukirchen wrote:
>>> Do you consider Ruby a good language for teaching people that haven't
>>> programmed yet? Just wondering.
>>> =20
>> I personally consider teaching programming in any language without a
>> REPL as Cruel and Unusual (tm) torture. Compiler-wrestling is a skill of
>
> What is a REPL?

Read-eval-print-loop. For example, irb.

David Vallner

Jim Cochrane

On 2006-12-08, David Vallner <david@vallner.net> wrote:
> Jim Cochrane wrote:

>>> I personally consider teaching programming in any language without a
>>> REPL as Cruel and Unusual (tm) torture. Compiler-wrestling is a skill =
> of
>>=20
>> What is a REPL?
>>=20