classes in WIN32OLE

Li Chen

12/4/2006 8:22:00 PM

Hi all,

There are so many pre-assumptions when using WIN32OLE
library. Can anyone out there briefly explain the
relation among the classes and modules in it?

Thanks,

Li

http://new.mail...

2 Answers

nlloyds

WIN32OLE basically provides an interface to the OLE type libraries in
Windows, so you're going to want to be able to see what classes,
methods, and properties those libraries provide.

If you plan on doing work with Microsoft Office applications the best
thing to do would be to open an app (Excel, for example), go to Tools
=> Macro => Visual Basic Editor, Then go to View => Object Browser
(make sure you have a document open in the Office app, or nothing will
show up.) There you can see everything available to the object you've
created (i.e. WIN32OLE.new('excel.application')).

This program:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/markey/ruby/win32ole/in... allows you
to browse other type libraries, and I believe there are other apps
available to view this information.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Nate

chen li wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are so many pre-assumptions when using WIN32OLE
> library. Can anyone out there briefly explain the
> relation among the classes and modules in it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Li

> http://new.mail...

Li Chen

> WIN32OLE basically provides an interface to the OLE type libraries in
> Windows, so you're going to want to be able to see what classes,
> methods, and properties those libraries provide.
> Nate

Hi Nate,

When I read the document about this library I see several classes as
follows

Classes

OLEProperty
WIN32OLE
WIN32OLE::VARIANT
WIN32OLERuntimeError
WIN32OLE_EVENT
WIN32OLE_METHOD
WIN32OLE_PARAM
WIN32OLE_TYPE
WIN32OLE_VARIABLE

I know WIN32OLE is a big player for this library. But how about the
others? What are their roles and the relation with WIN32OLE? I would
like to someone or you get a very quick introduction.

Thanks,

Li