ruby web servers, threads and sessions

eching

12/4/2006 7:17:00 PM

Is there a pure ruby web server that can start a thread that performs
some task and store it in a session allowing the user to control the
task from the browser? Similar to a what I can do with a java web
server?

7 Answers

Paul Lutus

eching wrote:

> Is there a pure ruby web server that can start a thread that performs
> some task and store it in a session allowing the user to control the
> task from the browser? Similar to a what I can do with a java web
> server?

Your question isn't crystal clear, but look at webrick, see if it's what you
have in mind. Webrick is included in a standard Ruby installation.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

Eric Hodel

On Dec 4, 2006, at 11:20 , eching wrote:

> Is there a pure ruby web server that can start a thread that performs
> some task and store it in a session allowing the user to control the
> task from the browser? Similar to a what I can do with a java web
> server?

WEBrick + your custom code.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

eching

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2006, at 11:20 , eching wrote:
>
> > Is there a pure ruby web server that can start a thread that performs
> > some task and store it in a session allowing the user to control the
> > task from the browser? Similar to a what I can do with a java web
> > server?
>
> WEBrick + your custom code.
>
> --
> Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...
>
> I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Ah, looks pretty straight forward, thanks.

Ok, so is it realistic to start up a Drb server and store it in a
session? Really what I am looking to do is to be able to control ruby
applications on various hosts from a web client using the web server as
the central hub.

The basic idea is a distributed log scanner app where the user can
control (add files, remove files, change search string) "scanning
agents" that are running on different hosts.

Paul Lutus

eching wrote:

> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Dec 4, 2006, at 11:20 , eching wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a pure ruby web server that can start a thread that performs
>> > some task and store it in a session allowing the user to control the
>> > task from the browser? Similar to a what I can do with a java web
>> > server?
>>
>> WEBrick + your custom code.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...
>>
>> I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
>
> Ah, looks pretty straight forward, thanks.
>
> Ok, so is it realistic to start up a Drb server and store it in a
> session? Really what I am looking to do is to be able to control ruby
> applications on various hosts from a web client using the web server as
> the central hub.
>
> The basic idea is a distributed log scanner app where the user can
> control (add files, remove files, change search string) "scanning
> agents" that are running on different hosts.

Yes, you can do this, but if the purpose is to govern the behavior of remote
machines, and if there are any security issues, I personally would do it
using SSH instead.

You could set things up to tunnel the webrick content through an SSH
connection. That is a way to balance ease of use with good security.

I am not perfectly clear about what you are trying to accomplish, but if
your description is a suitable guide, then maybe a text-based SSH remote
execution approach might be better than one based on a a Web server.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

eching

> Yes, you can do this, but if the purpose is to govern the behavior of remote
> machines, and if there are any security issues, I personally would do it
> using SSH instead.
>
> You could set things up to tunnel the webrick content through an SSH
> connection. That is a way to balance ease of use with good security.
>
> I am not perfectly clear about what you are trying to accomplish, but if
> your description is a suitable guide, then maybe a text-based SSH remote
> execution approach might be better than one based on a a Web server.

Thanks for the responses. It's all over the LAN, so security isn't a
concern at this point. I'll guess I'll go ahead with my initial idea.
I really haven't done much web/web based programming (or distributed
programming, really, apart from basic sockets), so any other
suggestions are welcome.

MCP

On 16/03/2013 05:34, MCP wrote:
> On 03/16/2013 01:30 AM, MCP wrote: