Tool for Program Visualization ?

Gilbert Rebhan

coming to Ruby from Java i'm lookin for a tool
similar to =

http://cs.joensuu.fi/jeliot...

which is for java only.

Any tools available ?
Thanks for any hints!!

Regards, Gilbert
6 Answers

benjohn

> Hi,
>
> coming to Ruby from Java i'm lookin for a tool
> similar to =
>
> http://cs.joensuu.fi/jeliot...
>
> which is for java only.
>
> Any tools available ?
> Thanks for any hints!!
>
> Regards, Gilbert

I'm afraid I don't know of anything like that, but others may.

Looking at the tool, do you actually find that at all useful? :) It's
kind of fun, but does it help you to see what's going on? I wonder if
you'd be better off with a normal graphical debugger (Komodo, for Ruby,
say.). They usually give much the same kind of information about the
virtual machine's states, but don't act out an animated story of how
those changes occur.

Gilbert Rebhan

benjohn@fysh.org wrote:
> Looking at the tool, do you actually find that at all useful? :) It's
> kind of fun, but does it help you to see what's going on?

it's helpful to see what's going on. also great for
a quick test of algorithms, it's like an algorithm theatre ;-)

>I wonder if
> you'd be better off with a normal graphical debugger (Komodo, for Ruby,
> say.)

Komodo ain't free. I'm looking for a free tool.
Are there free graphical debuggers around for ruby ?!

>They usually give much the same kind of information about the
> virtual machine's states, but don't act out an animated story of how
> those changes occur.

working with eclipse, i know the benefits of a debugger,
but the RDT plugins are not the same level as the JDT yet.

Regards, Gilbert

Stephen Kellett

In message <el1oso$4ue$1@online.de>, Gilbert Rebhan
<mailforgilbert@gmx.de> writes
>coming to Ruby from Java i'm lookin for a tool
>similar to =
>
>http://cs.joensuu.fi/jeliot...

Er, not the same. But if a flow tracer will do (shows all calls,
returns, lines, exceptions etc, plus all locals and all params) then
take a look at Ruby Bug Validator.

http://www.softwareverify.com/ruby/flow_tracer/...

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...

Zev Blut

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 03:25:06 +0900, Gilbert Rebhan <mailforgilbert@gmx.d=
e> =

wrote:

> coming to Ruby from Java i'm lookin for a tool
> similar to =3D =

> http://cs.joensuu.fi/jeliot...
>
> which is for java only.
>
> Any tools available ?

That looks pretty cool. Although, it is text based you can use the
ruby tracer tool. Simply run

"ruby -r tracer yourcode.rb"

to see the textual output of what Ruby is doing. If I were to attempt
making Jeliot for Ruby I would probably use this as a base.

Cheers,
Zev

Gilbert Rebhan

Zev Blut wrote:
>> http://cs.joensuu.fi/jeliot...
>>
>> which is for java only.

> That looks pretty cool. Although, it is text based you can use the
> ruby tracer tool. Simply run
>
> "ruby -r tracer yourcode.rb"
>
> to see the textual output of what Ruby is doing. If I were to attempt
> making Jeliot for Ruby I would probably use this as a base.

ok, thanks didn't know of that.
i'll give it a try.

Regards, Gilbert

Gilbert Rebhan

Stephen Kellett wrote:
>> coming to Ruby from Java i'm lookin for a tool
>> similar to =
>>
>> http://cs.joensuu.fi/jeliot...
>
> Er, not the same. But if a flow tracer will do (shows all calls,
> returns, lines, exceptions etc, plus all locals and all params) then
> take a look at Ruby Bug Validator.
>
> http://www.softwareverify.com/ruby/flow_tracer/...

Thanks for the tip, but i prefer a free tool,
Open Source if possible.
I have no 299 bucks around ;-)

Regards, Gilbert